What's new

Need Ink Recommendation

Hi guys,

Never been to The Nib before, but I have my interests here in the Safety Razors.
However, like classic things, I like to use a Fountain pen for writing when I can.

I am using a Waterman Phileas at the moment, and am using a converter, as I do not care for cartridges as they are overpriced.

I use an India-depth, or a standard "deep black", for writing.

My current ink is J. Herbin Perle Noire, and for times I need or prefer a blue ink, J. Herbin Eclat De Saphir, and they are mighty fine inks.

But, I have a problem.

The Herbin Perle Noire ink requires a very long dry time, and even with a good run of the blotter block, it still has a tendency to smear. I love it's depth of black.

However, I need an ink that dries quick for writing like Parker cartridge inks, etc.

Any recommendations, gentlemen?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Noodler's X-Feather has a reputation for being a very good, quick drying and good for bad paper (cheap). Noodler's Black is a bulletproof ink and is also very good for poor papers. Both blacks.

Pelikan inks are good dry inks.

Take a look at Auroa Black. It is a nice fast drying black ink.

But it smears easily, IIRC.

I am a huge fan of Akkerman IJzergalnoten ink #10, or Diamine Registrar ink. However, you need to be aware of the properties of iron gall inks before using them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I would suggest you try Noodler's but ...

... of the ones suggested so far, X-feather (designed not to feather on cheap paper) is going to have a very long dry time as a result. Bernanke Black will have a ridiculously short dry time, but I suspect that will affect its performance in the pen as well. I've used Noodler's Black to good effect, but ... having also used Noodler's Heart of Darkness ... I can say that HOD performs very well and has a noticeably shorter dry time than the basic Black.

Heart of Darkness is your answer.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Quink black in a bottle wouldn't be out of the question for me.

proxy.php

I've just gone through samples of Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Bad Black Moccasin, and Heart of Darkness. I found both BBM and HOD to dry more quickly than the BB, but BB seems to have more of a sheen or gloss to it. HOD, again just from my experience, seems to have more bleed through. I still have some samples to try, but so far BBM is in the lead for when I eventually buy a bottle of black. Good luck.

Top Bottom