What's new

What would you treat these Nettleton's with?

I have a pair of these and I'm not sure what would be the best way to keep up their appearance and preserve the leather. From the looks they might be pig skin?

$nettleton_tan.jpg

I would treat them with nothing but love for a year or so, other than brushing after every wear and removing dirt with a damp cloth.

I would treat them with nothing but love for a year or so, other than brushing after every wear and removing dirt with a damp cloth.

Sorry, that's a pic I pulled off the web. Mine are in pretty good condition but they maybe pushing 20 years old. They need some TLC. I'd hate to have the leather dry out and there's also the issue of the color to which I'm not sure if I should use a color polish or go with some sort of oil? TIA :001_smile

They might be pig skin, but I'd guess they're Scotch grain leather, which comes from cattle. Sometimes that unique texture is natural to the leather, sometimes it's embossed. Nettleton used quite a bit of Scotch grain leather.

Yes, that's scotch grain leather. You can clean with Lexol, then use Lexol conditioner, or just wipe with a damp cloth and use a Meltonian cream in that color, or slightly lighter. Rub the cream in well with a soft cloth, wait a couple of hours, then brush.

Don't use neatsfoot or any oils.

Depends on the conditions. I'd probably clean them with saddle soap then condition them with Renovateur (or Lexol). How they look afterwards would determine my next steps.

Top Bottom