What's new

Strop Shoppe Austin SE soap review

DISCLAIMER----- I have never done a review before but there really isnt alot of info on this soap and in another thread i mentioned that i bought it and a couple people wanted to know about it so here we go please work with me :thumbup1:

$20140824_170029.jpg

I ordered this along with Baker St directly from Strop Shoppe and received it 3 days later no fuss no muss. Some people have had issues with them but i couldnt complain about this order which was my first. I opened the box and opened this one fist and the soap was all on one side of the container with some on the inside of the lid. No biggie for me (sorry no pics of that). I then took a nice whiff and the initial impressions were kind of lackluster as it just smelled like some light scented generic soap, however, i put the lid back on for a minute and took another. I often build myself up on what it could smell like and often miss out on the complete scent and kind of form an opinion that really doesnt do the soap justice. So after the second whiff, and at different distances from the puck, i really started to pick up on the full range of the soap. I put the lid around the container kind of to "concentrate" the scent and really picked up on it. To me, Austin is a light, breezy ocean air type scent that i found familiar but couldnt place it. Its a very complex scent thats easy to miss the whole scent. So i kept smelling and smelling over the next couple hours and only after probably 10-15 "sniffs" did i finally feel like i got the scent range and could not detect anything that i hadnt already picked up. Still smelled light oceany breeze type that had depth. I then pushed the soap down on the low side to even it out and then the scent came out more and was stronger. I think its scent strength is nice. Not overbearing but no really trouble smelling it. When i smelled my fingers from pushing down the soap it hit me like a ton of bricks!! I knew that i had smelled this scent before!!! How could have i missed it!?!? I then dug out a sample i had tucked away ans sure enough BAM!! That was it!! I smelled my fingers again and then the sample and they were remarkably similar!!! It smelled almost identical to T&H 1805!!! Austin is to me a slightly less floral more earthy 1805! I have not lathered it yet but i feel like it will smell even more like 1805 when lathered..... Its beautifully done IMO and after i lather it up tonight or in the morning ill post more pics and describe performance but im sure the performance will be there. Here is a pic of the soap inside the container
$20140824_170355.jpg
Well I shaved this morning with Austin. The scent when lathered definitely is very similar to 1805 although it's not quite as strong. I had no problems smelling the scent on all 3 passes. I'm am going to reserve complete judgment on performance because I was a little rushed before heading to work and took a few extra minutes with the lather as I never used Strop Shoppe before. I found it easy to lather and there was plenty!! I just feel I need a couple more shaves in order to do a complete unbiased review. I plan on comparing directly with Mikes natural soap. Here are a couple of pics of the lather.
$20140825_051743.jpg$20140825_051733.jpg$20140825_051832.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!! Baker St smell really really nice as well! I must admit im pretty impressed with these two as far as scent goes... Havent had a chance to lather yet so im sure that the scent in both will be even batter!

Heck Yeah!!...i have been anticipating the review of this scent, and now that I know what it smells like, Im for sure going to grab me a tub. Thanks rammerjammer, I have a hard time trying to describe 1805, but I certainly do like the scent. Just what I need...more soap..lol.

Hmm. Like so many soaps Date Night is a complex scent and hard to describe. It has a cologne type scent and I find it fresh and clean smelling. I find it pairs well with Fine Fresh Vetiver but it doesn't smell exactly like it. I know that's not much help but that's all I've got. The scent strength, like Barbershop, is just right I think and blooms when you lather it.

Hmm. Like so many soaps Date Night is a complex scent and hard to describe. It has a cologne type scent and I find it fresh and clean smelling. I find it pairs well with Fine Fresh Vetiver but it doesn't smell exactly like it. I know that's not much help but that's all I've got. The scent strength, like Barbershop, is just right I think and blooms when you lather it.
Wow sounds like a winner also! I just added some lather pics. I'm going to reserve my opinion on performance until I get a few mor shaves in and plan on comparing directly to Mike's natural soap.

I will say this, my face hasnt felt this soft and moisturized with any other soap. Its not even close in that department. That goes for Mikes, Tiki, Barrister and Mann, none have the moisturizing and softness effect like this soap. I think that this would def be a great option in winter when you need some extra moisturizing or if you suffer from dry skin. Its extremely impressive in that department

Sometimes I feel like a kid with a bag full of delicious candies. Each piece of candy is perfect. How do I choose which one to eat next?

I have been on a soap buying binge lately: B&M, PPF, Mikes, RR, Mystic, Ian's, Cold River and Strop Shoppe. I have only one face and upwards of 15 soaps. (Bloozepicker, I know I am barely scratching the surface of the wonderful world of soaps.) I was thinking about thinning the herd. I hadn't used my Strop Shoppe Barbershop in a few weeks, so I decided to shave with it this morning with the idea that if I didn't enjoy the shave, I would sell it. Well, that was a dumb experiment. The shave was outstanding in every way. The Strop Shoppe isn't going anywhere!

“Fell in love with a beautiful blonde once. Drove me to drink. And I never had the decency to thank her.”

― W.C. Fields

Ok so i feel pretty comfortable with where i stand on the soap... I compared directly to mikes twice.. In my experience and for me personally i must say that it does not offer the same level of comfort or protection as Mikes. Im not sure if it is the clay in Mikes that makes the difference but both soaps have tallow and lanolin. I used my two favorite blades (gillette silver blues, voskhod) and both were more uncomfortable and the Fine aftershave stung much more than with mikes after every shave... Thats not to say that its not a quality soap... i could possibly use a different razor (Ikon slant dlc) and find it comfortable...however i wanted to see how it really performs compared to Mikes so i decided to use the slant. I did find that this is the best soap as far as moisturizing ive used... The scent i find is excellent and that i had no problem smelling it throughout the shave. Im on the fence about whether or not to BST the soap as life is to short to use anything that doesnt live up and as always YMMV. I strongly suggest trying it if you have not before as its definitely worth trying yourself! Happy shaves guys!

Ok so i feel pretty comfortable with where i stand on the soap... I compared directly to mikes twice.. In my experience and for me personally i must say that it does not offer the same level of comfort or protection as Mikes. Im not sure if it is the clay in Mikes that makes the difference but both soaps have tallow and lanolin. I used my two favorite blades (gillette silver blues, voskhod) and both were more uncomfortable and the Fine aftershave stung much more than with mikes after every shave... Thats not to say that its not a quality soap... i could possibly use a different razor (Ikon slant dlc) and find it comfortable...however i wanted to see how it really performs compared to Mikes so i decided to use the slant. I did find that this is the best soap as far as moisturizing ive used... The scent i find is excellent and that i had no problem smelling it throughout the shave. Im on the fence about whether or not to BST the soap as life is to short to use anything that doesnt live up and as always YMMV. I strongly suggest trying it if you have not before as its definitely worth trying yourself! Happy shaves guys!

I too really like Mike's Soaps. They offer great protection, creamy lather and a good post shave as well. For the price that he sells his soaps they are a steal. I tried Tiki recently and it offers a great post shave and scent but I noticed a razor burn feeling once I used Stirling's Orange Chill witch-hazel. I wanted to ask what other soaps have you used that are just as good if not better than Mike's. thanks

A soap that smells like 1805? Dang, I already have at least 6 tubs of Strop Shoppe. Guess I'll be getting another.

I too really like Mike's Soaps. They offer great protection, creamy lather and a good post shave as well. For the price that he sells his soaps they are a steal. I tried Tiki recently and it offers a great post shave and scent but I noticed a razor burn feeling once I used Stirling's Orange Chill witch-hazel. I wanted to ask what other soaps have you used that are just as good if not better than Mike's. thanks

IMO Mikes is no1 for me....Tiki is a very close 2nd and RR//Strop Shoppe very close 3rd.... Stirling gets honorable mention....however it has been a while since i used Stirling but plan on using up the rest of my sharp dressed man sample..... Barrister and Mann is up there but i used a sample of unscented a few times and have lime lavender and cedarwood sample pressed into a bowl that ive been wanting to use so just based pure memory id put them with Tiki or maybe just behind but just dont have enough shaves to really say from memory. I plan on using the Strop Shoppe again soon as i just acquired a stealth slant and that might bring them up some. For that Ikon the Mikes outperformed it for me.... I think its a very nice soap with a great scent

A soap that smells like 1805? Dang, I already have at least 6 tubs of Strop Shoppe. Guess I'll be getting another.

Its very reminiscent of 1805...not quite as floral and a bit more earthy and subtle but its hits alot of the same notes to me...It will take you several sniffs to really appreciate the whole scent as at first I was like meh its ok....But then i kept smelling it.... Pulled out the sample of 1805 cream and could def smell it in there. Its not an 1805 clone but many will find it just as lovely i expect

Top Bottom