What's new

The Underappreciated Schick Krona

As a dedicated vintage Gillette man, I recently bought a very nice Krona from a B&B seller. I lucked out and ended up with not only a razor in great condition, but a Krona with the metal twist knob.

I cleaned it up, dunked in Barbasol, and put it away in the stash. I really hadn't considered using it until this past week.

Wow. This razor is almost perfectly tuned for my face, it seems. Just aggressive enough w/o going over the top. I'd equate it to a Fatboy on 5 to 6 or a Slim firmly on 6, except that there was no hint of a bite or slip at any point during the shave. The gap is perfect, and the balance is superb. Nice weight. Head design is very similar to the Slim, so it is a very functional razor.

I will always be a vintage Gillette man at heart, but the Schick Krona has a proud place in the collection, and I will not hesitate to use it in the future.

Just a fantastic razor.

Last edited:
I have one of those Kronas with the metal knob. This one is special to me because it belonged to my maternal Grandfather. I tried it a couple of times and even though I wanted to love it, I didn't.

That was many months ago, and most likely my technique was to blame, I was under the impression that only aggressive razors work for me.
This thread reminds me that probably it's time to give it another try one of these days.

The metal knob krona is the only razor that I picked up at an antique shop that I still own. Fantastic shaver.

I've been trying to score a decent Krona for awhile now. I have so far bought three. One was a new in the package razor that I PIFed to my brother to help him into our world,(which he loves and uses daily!), but the other two are damaged. I won't shave with either one. I'm waiting on payday to try again. I'm sure one will pop up at that time. My brother tells me his is a fine shaver, and he won't ever go back to cartridge razors again.

I love my Eversharp Krona. When paired with vintage Eversharp blades it is simply sublime.

$eversharpK2.jpg

$esharp.jpg

I bought one a while back, didn't care for it, I keep comparing everything to the Fat boys Or Slim Adjustable. As nuclearblast has said, maybe the technique was off

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My first razor that was actually all mine! No more borrowing my dad's injector. Bought it at our small-town Rexall drug store in maybe 1969-70. Didn't much like the blades that came with it. Still have it, believe it or not, so I ought to bust it out in honor of this thread.

I remember leaving it open, just a bit loose, to get a better shave back in the early seventies. Mine's the plastic knob and shows KRONA on one door and SCHICK on the other. Recently I got one with identical look but plain doors without a name.

I always root for the lowly Krona. I would put it at a 2 on a fatboy. Check the wiki blade gap for confirmation though. My Krona is my blade tester/head shaving tool. Very forgiving razor when bad technique is used.

I have a metal twist knob version, great razor. Only razor I have that I never got a bad shave out of. It is on the mild side, not sure it ranks down at a fat boy on 2, but it is mild. I put it a hair more aggressive than a super speed, but that long handle makes it easier for me to control.

I enjoyed nemo's and nuclearblast's stories about their Kronas.

Its kinda cool, this thing of ours!

::: with apologies (and respect) to every mafia movie ever made :::

That's awesome!

It's clearly your razor to do with as you wish, but I'd keep that bad boy NOS and buy another Krona to use. There are good arguments both ways but I fall into the 'keep NOS, NOS' camp.

Very cool thing to own in any event!

I inherited my Grandfather's Krona three weeks ago and have shaved with it every day since. A great shave and a very special memento of a man who passed away many years ago.

Last edited:
Great Shaver. Threw a 1 shave old Shark SC in mine and had a darn near BBS shave this morning. My Razor rotation is steadily growing

Top Bottom