What's new

Wax Stamp?

First, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. It seemed semi right.

Does anyone use a wax stamp for sealing envelopes or anything else? Any thoughts on them? Any suggestions on where to get a nice one? Does it take any wax or is it specific to wax stamps? I'm really interested in getting one (or two, or ten) and thought I saw a random picture or two on this forum that I can't find anymore. Thanks!

I've received letters from gentlemen on here that use them so I expect they will be along at some point.

Anxious to hear myself, and thanks a lot for a new way to spend more $, my sis had one in the '70's, it does take a special candle for a wax seal as I believe it's called, will google now!

Thank you for the responses. This may be a stupid question, but if I get a stamp with an initial, do I get the initial for my first name or last name?

Thank you for the responses. This may be a stupid question, but if I get a stamp with an initial, do I get the initial for my first name or last name?

Normally it is for your last name, that being said, I have a initial seal with A (for Andy), so depends on what you prefer.

You might also consider a custom monogram which is traditionally composed of the initials of your first, last and middle names, in that order. So if your name is Dumbledore Baggins Calrissian your monogram would be DCB with the initial of the last name often being larger than the others.

Normally it is for your last name, that being said, I have a initial seal with A (for Andy), so depends on what you prefer.

And said seals always seem to make it through the international mail with no issues. The man is doing something right!

If you get the chance, check out Papier Plume (www.papierplume.com) out of New Orleans. I've bought several things from them, including sealing wax and stamps. It's a small, very nice shop with knowledgeable, helpful staff.

I love my wax stamp. The wife and I made one so we could seal our wedding invites.

Made over 250 stamps so it was pretty fun!

I still use the stamp for Christmas cards and other mailing items.

Here is a pic of our wedding invites with Stewart houghton wax which is bendable and perfect for mailing.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409155772.064067.jpg

I also have a box of the traditional j herbin wax which I only use for hand delivered items since it's very delicate.

I have a wax stamp, but I do not use it very often. Maybe I should start doing so? (but they damage easily in the modern automated mail processing machines)

I have a wax stamp, but I do not use it very often. Maybe I should start doing so? (but they damage easily in the modern automated mail processing machines)

The have waxes that won't break in the mail. The wax is a bit rubbery so it bends.

You might also consider a custom monogram which is traditionally composed of the initials of your first, last and middle names, in that order. So if your name is Dumbledore Baggins Calrissian your monogram would be DCB with the initial of the last name often being larger than the others.

If your name is Dumbledore Baggins Calrissian, you're probably the most awesome human in the galaxy, and your letters stamp themselves.

If you get the chance, check out Papier Plume (www.papierplume.com) out of New Orleans. I've bought several things from them, including sealing wax and stamps. It's a small, very nice shop with knowledgeable, helpful staff.
Papier Plume is nice, but as it's in the French Quarter their prices are going to be a lot higher than online stores. Scriptura is another option in New Orleans (also in Metairie).

Every letter I send has a wax stamp on it. I have one with my last initial, one with a Christmas tree, and one with a feather pen and paper. I'm interested in having one made of the Seal of Rasillon or the emblem of the Rebel Alliance.

I got mine from letterseals.com they also do custom stamps.

Yes, but I have a classic wax stick. The one that you melt before using.

The wax I mentioned also needs to melt. It's the same thing as the classic wax, just a different formula.

I remember getting a gift of sealing wax and a stamp many years ago. I wonder what become of it.
Signet rings were also used for this purpose.

Top Bottom