What's new

Atomas and Holders?

Generally "two question threads" go all one direction but I'm feeling "minimalist" today. :001_smile

• I keep seeing people use atoma plates for building slurry. Is there a reason why these and not say a DMT? I never even heard of atoma till I started looking at JNats. (sub-question, people seem to gravitate towards a 600 but I have a well-used DMT 1000. Any issue with that?)
  • I decided yesterday that a stone holder is something I would like to have. I put the stone on a rubber mat on the counter but it was too low for me to be comfortable. Is one as good as another? I was looking at this one for the free (and fast) shipping.

Thanks gents.

Atomas dont stick to hard stones like dmts do. Big difference. but atomas on steel is not advisable IMO. WHen I use a slurry from a dia plate its the 1200 atoma. Problem with sticking is diamonds can be stripped from the plate. You dont want that and they can stick in your stone. And holders can be handy. I have them but find they arent necessary. I prefer to have the plates stacked for easy access.

Do you mean sticking like suction? I believe you but have a hard time picturing how it pulls the diamonds out.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
A dmt will sometimes feel like its welded to a hard stone. They stick like crazy. That's why I like Atomas for jnats. No stiction, and less likely to make a fissure run.

I see. Well I don't think I want to spend $100 right now on something to develop slurry .... at least not immediately. The DMT certainly developed suction but it slid right off. So far. Better not be famous last words. :laugh:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I don't use mine to make slurry. Just to lap. I never liked the idea of a diamond plate to raise slurry. I much prefer using a tomo or other nagura.

I don't use mine to make slurry. Just to lap. I never liked the idea of a diamond plate to raise slurry. I much prefer using a tomo or other nagura.
Since this stone is from Alex and that's his method, I thought it would be the right thing to do to evaluate it like that. The method certainly worked for me but I'm just starting out of course. He did include a small tomo which I used later in my session. Both seemed to work fine. One of these days I'll start looking for some smaller nagura to experiment with. Right now, these are my choices.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I use a worn out 1200 for slurry, so worn it doesn't scratch the hone at all. And yes, they can stick at least when lapping. I ruined a 1200 Atoma lapping a synthetic and letting the slurry get too dry. It compromised the matrix and that plate continues to release diamonds. When lapping, keep the slurry washed off and best to lap under running water.

Ive never had an issue raising the small amount of slurry needed for honing.

Cheers, Steve

I see. Well I don't think I want to spend $100 right now on something to develop slurry .... at least not immediately. The DMT certainly developed suction but it slid right off. So far. Better not be famous last words. :laugh:
Get all 4 then. 140,400,600 and 1200. $400, get it over with. LOL. Lots of guys use dmts, I dont like them for the reasons mentioned here, and a nagura set is more versatile ALTHOUGH a dia slurry is certainly very capable.

I don't know anything about Atoma's (I have DMT's but don't use them to make slurry) but I do have two of those stone holders. They work just fine. I actually don't even bother clamping the stone in them, not necessary at the level of pressure used with razors. I flip them upside down and lay the stone on top of it.

Generally "two question threads" go all one direction but I'm feeling "minimalist" today. :001_smile

• I decided yesterday that a stone holder is something I would like to have. I put the stone on a rubber mat on the counter but it was too low for me to be comfortable. Is one as good as another? I was looking at this one for the free (and fast) shipping.

Thanks gents.

I have that holder and like it very well for use with larger hones. Smaller rocks I just hold in my hand.

I have one on the way, thanks folks.

Some enabler who shall not be named suggested I buy all the atoma, that way the pain is on;y experienced once. :lol:

I have one on the way, thanks folks.

Some enabler who shall not be named suggested I buy all the atoma, that way the pain is on;y experienced once. :lol:
We are all enablers...
But with HAD the enabling is not really painful only once - It Keeps Going and Going.

Enjoy the new plates - I have most of them.
I have been Enabled!
Myron

I just threw one of those holders out - was taking up too much space and I haven't used it in years.
In retrospect - I probably shoulda PIF'd it, but I just wanted to do some fast house cleaning.
When I got it I used it all the time, but it was a pita. I just use a rubber slab now.

We are all enablers...
But with HAD the enabling is not really painful only once - It Keeps Going and Going.

Enjoy the new plates - I have most of them.
I have been Enabled!
Myron

I'm right now figuring out how to leverage my 401k to buy a koma the size of a coffee table

Lee,
If you're looking to just raise the height of your stone, check out the Bench Cookie:

http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-10-...8&qid=1409051439&sr=8-1&keywords=bench+cookie

Doc posted these a long time ago and I finally got around to buying a set and use them all the time. Even when hand honing, I'll set the rock down on it between grits. For 10 bucks for 4 cookies, they're a good deal and don't take up as much room as a stone holder.
That would do it! Thanks, I'll bookmark those. I already bought the stone holder so I'll see if that works. If not I'll get a set of those (or put them on the wishlist as a subtle hint to my wife).

Top Bottom