What's new

First post here, seeking post DE shave advice

hey guys, this is my first time posting on a forum, so forgive me if this is the wrong place to post, or a violation of some other etiquette. I have been wet shaving for about a week. I'm young, and could easily get away with shaving every other day. I have been using col conk shaving soap, a merkur 23c, a no name badger hair brush of some kind, and initially, preshave oil and balm from art of shaving. I have a couple of questions for you guys. I microwave a towel and put it on my face before i shave... is that good enough instead of a shower? I want something kinder for my adolescent complexion than preshave oil. do you guys know of any alternatives that have the same effect? and finally, i have no clue about aftershave. i like to take a cold shower after i shave, and i wanna know if i should use a balm? alum? if i should do it before or after i shave?

I am by no means an expert or experienced but when I don't have the time for a pre shave shower, I simply use a wash cloth and some facial scrub to thoroughly wash my face. After this I do a quick rinse and start to lather. This has worked well for me. After my shave I use Nivea post shave balm/lotion. I will be experimenting with other balms as I move forward. Looks like you have a good set up and are off to a nice start.

First, welcome to B&B.

I happen to shave before I shower. I do either a warm water shave or cold water shave.

For a warm water shave I wash my face with a facial soap. I take a wash cloth and put it in hot water. I wring it out and place it on my face for perhaps 30 seconds. The time for each person will vary. I then wet my face and apply the lather and shave.

For a cold water shave I wash my face with cold water, put cold water on my face, lather up and shave.

If you don't need pre shave oil, don't use it. Pre shave oil is a matter of preference. Some use it and some don't. I use it on occasion but most of the time don't. I tend to use it when I am shaving twice a day or when I shave in the evening and then have to shave again in the a.m.

For post shave my favorite treatment is witch hazel followed by an AS and then I shower.

Some folks like alum and I only use alum if I nick myself or have a weeper. Otherwise it's WH. For some hints on post shave treatment look here.

The idea with the soft hot towel or a shower is to soften your beard. If your beard is softer after the application then it's working. You don't have to use preshave oil or balm or even aftershave. You can simply lather, shave and then lather again and let it sit on your face while you shower. If your not having a difficult time with it then there is no real reason to use a lot of products that may be irritating or burning your skin.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome!

I don't use a preshave because they give me no benefit. If you think the preshave helps you might try Proraso - which is a cream and not an oil.

Unless you have a compelling reason for your order, shaving after your shower would be a very easy way to hydrate your beard.

Post shave is really just a question of personal preference (or what works for your skin). I use witch hazel (which I suspect would be very good for you) followed by balm (which might not be good for you - I'm an old man with dry skin). Many shavers use alum (which might be a very good choice).

WH and alum are pretty cheap. The alum is at the very least good for days when your technique isn't perfect and you produce a weeper or two.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Welcome to B&B

You may find shaving AFTER you shower is more pleasant that the way you are now doing it.

If you want to stick with your shower after you shave routine, wash your face twice with glycerine based soap like Pears or Neutrogena before you shave. The first wash is to remove oil and dirt the 2nd wash is to soften.

Leave the soap lather on your face and apply your hot towel over the soap which will help soften more than the towel alone as glycerin is a hydrating agent and the hot towel will help it soften even more.

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Hello and welcome to B&B, Elliott. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

You have some great tips above. The hot towel is fine, especially if you are young and have a softer beard then us older guys.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. The most important thing in a shave is to hydrate (wet) your beard and keep it wet throughout the shave. I soak my beard before applying lather and re-wet it between passes. Lather provides three services: it keeps water on your beard during the pass; it lubricates your skin so the razor glides smoothly; and it cushions your skin from the razor.

and as to aftershave routines, is it a bad idea to put on balms/alum immediately before stepping in for a cold shower? And how would you guys feel about picking a couple of oils from a co-op that are good for acne, and then blending them together for a preshave oil? Please warn me if there is anything that plan overlooks.

If I could recommend only one post-shave treatment it would be Nivea Sensitive Post Shave balm (in the white glass container).
It is relatively cheap and available. Its fragrance is really nice, yet doesn't linger. And it leaves your skin fantastically smooth.

and as to aftershave routines, is it a bad idea to put on balms/alum immediately before stepping in for a cold shower? And how would you guys feel about picking a couple of oils from a co-op that are good for acne, and then blending them together for a preshave oil? Please warn me if there is anything that plan overlooks.

You can put the balms and alum and after a minute or two take your shower. I don't take cold showers but after I shave I apply WH, clean up my razor and brush, and then take a shower.

As for oils, what kind of oils are you talking about?

I am by no means an expert or experienced but when I don't have the time for a pre shave shower, I simply use a wash cloth and some facial scrub to thoroughly wash my face. After this I do a quick rinse and start to lather. This has worked well for me. After my shave I use Nivea post shave balm/lotion. I will be experimenting with other balms as I move forward. Looks like you have a good set up and are off to a nice start.
+1 I just splash on hot water for pre and shower after I shave

Hi Elliott: Welcome to B&B. You got some great advice. One thing for sure is that there are many routines and you can experiment with what works for you. Keep us posted.

WARHAWK

I was thinking golden jojoba oil, perhaps some other oils, I'm not sure. and i am still looking for how to change a username if anyone knows

Welcome to B&B. You've already got some excellent advice here. I would only add that "prep" = "hydration", in other words, getting your whiskers nice and wet. It varies from person to person, but if your beard is not thick you may find that just dousing your face with lukewarm water for 30 seconds or a minute is all you need. As for aftershaves, they will definitely enhance your wet-shaving experience. Again, it's a matter of personal taste, but I would recommend browsing the Aftershaves forum here at your leisure. In the meantime, you can never go wrong with splash of witch hazel right after your shave. Any drugstore brand will do, but as you'll see, there are many opinions about witch hazel (WH) here, too. Take your time and enjoy yourself. You'll find it's a great way to shave and have a little "me" time.

Top Bottom