What's new

Lifespan of zamak razors

After reading this thread I'm less inclined to buy new DE razors and start looking more towards acquiring vintage razors. If my two EJ's made of zamak have a limited life I doubt I'll invest in too many more new ones. I'll definitely be looking to buy more vintage razors that have endured the test of time versus new razors make of zamak.

BTW, one year while I was in the USAF in Belgium I went to Octoberfest. It was an unforgettable experience. A great many tents with beer flowing from endless steins.

It's still unfortunate that both my EJ's only have a limited life. I hoped for so much more!

Last edited:
This is a brief follow-up to my prior message that goes along with the subject of zamak razors.

I was surprised that there were a variety of double-edge razor manufacturers that produce stainless steel razors. There was a major difference in price as well. This was very enlightening.

So, my options are to continue to buy less expensive razors made of zamak or spend more money and buy stainless steel razors. In the future I'm more inclined to spend a little more on a stainless steel razor. It almost doesn't make sense to buy a razor that won't last a long time.

This has been a very interesting thread indeed!

Last edited:
Sounds like lifespan will vary. Dry after use and oil threads with mineral oil. Don't drop and hope for the best.

I'm sure that there are variables that factor into the lifespan of a zamak razor. I'm going to have to buy some mineral oil to keep the threads of both my EJ razors lubricated and minimize the wear & tear over time. I never realized that zamak required a little more maintenance than stainless steel razors. Now I'm a little wiser!

I'm sure that there are variables that factor into the lifespan of a zamak razor. I'm going to have to buy some mineral oil to keep the threads of both my EJ razors lubricated and minimize the wear & tear over time. I never realized that zamak required a little more maintenance than stainless steel razors. Now I'm a little wiser!

I keep a small bowl of mineral oil in the shelf of my shower with a plastic yogurt cup cut to use as an insert. There are holes in the bottom of her yogurt cup for water to drain.

After rinsing my razor - I shower shave - I just drop it head down into the cup of oil. I don't have time or patience to remove and wipe a blade or dry the razor. I let gravity do it for me.

After a couple of weeks there is a puddle of water in the bottom, but the razor head is held out of it by the yogurt cup. I just dump the now somewhat scummy oil and water, rinse and refill the contraption, and start again.

My EJ DE89 makes a cracking noise at night and then I hear "help! I'm meeelting I'm meeelting" and then there's a small puff of smoke from the cabinet.

Clearly Zamak is bad bad business.

I keep a small bowl of mineral oil in the shelf of my shower with a plastic yogurt cup cut to use as an insert. There are holes in the bottom of her yogurt cup for water to drain.

After rinsing my razor - I shower shave - I just drop it head down into the cup of oil. I don't have time or patience to remove and wipe a blade or dry the razor. I let gravity do it for me.

After a couple of weeks there is a puddle of water in the bottom, but the razor head is held out of it by the yogurt cup. I just dump the now somewhat scummy oil and water, rinse and refill the contraption, and start again.

Thanks for that helpful suggestion. I'm going to see if I can set up something like that to extend the life of my EJ's.

Thanks for that helpful suggestion. I'm going to see if I can set up something like that to extend the life of my EJ's.

I went through several containers experimenting. The cheapest/best, although not quite attractive enough, was just a discarded yogurt cup with a piece of an orchid planter insert cut down to size. The orchid pots have a bunch of holes already, and it cut pretty easily with just scissors.

The little bowl meets the attractiveness criteria, but it works the same way.

All you have to do is keep the razor up off the bottom. Obviously the higher your "strainer basket" the longer between refills.

Gravity pretty much works everywhere, so it's a low tech solution. If gravity quits working one day I doubt I'll be worried about my razor.

We'll I'm pretty old at this point, but....
you're all telling me that if I were 20 something I should only buy
brass or SS razors?

I went through several containers experimenting. The cheapest/best, although not quite attractive enough, was just a discarded yogurt cup with a piece of an orchid planter insert cut down to size. The orchid pots have a bunch of holes already, and it cut pretty easily with just scissors.

The little bowl meets the attractiveness criteria, but it works the same way.

All you have to do is keep the razor up off the bottom. Obviously the higher your "strainer basket" the longer between refills.

Gravity pretty much works everywhere, so it's a low tech solution. If gravity quits working one day I doubt I'll be worried about my razor.

I take some of my yogurt containers and recycle them as my new razor "rejuvenation" project. I'll try a few variations on the design you're suggesting. I'm not really too concerned how it looks. My primary concern is how well it works. This should be interesting project.

Now as to your suggestion that gravity will stopping working, well, need I say more? lol

Last edited:
My EJ DE89 makes a cracking noise at night and then I hear "help! I'm meeelting I'm meeelting" and then there's a small puff of smoke from the cabinet.

Clearly Zamak is bad bad business.

Zamak, the witch:

Last edited by a moderator:
At this moment my favorite razor is R41. You can not find anything similar to R41 working as well with steep angle among the vintage or stainless steel razors. Zamak made me to consider to make my own copies of R41 as I have no chance to know for how long time I am able to get new heads.

To make a copy is not that difficult: Cast a silicon mold. Silicon meant for mold making will not stick to metal so you can use your original razor for casting the mold. Mix some epoxy and cast into your mold.
You can use this mold over and over. If you want an even stronger razor than zamak you could have some fiber mixed into your epoxy.

I have not done this yet, but seriously been considering to do it. Imagine to do this with the 2011 version or any other razor not in production anymore!

I have Merkur Futur that I purchased at least five years ago that I would say is still in near-new condition.

I also have a 34C that I purchased this year, and a Progress that my father gave me nearly 30 years ago. With the exception of a little yellowing of the plastic knob, it looks exactly the same as when I received it.

I use them all fairly regularly. All I do for maintenance is keep them clean, and blot them dry on a towel after use. If the day ever came when I had to replace one, and I don't think it will, I'll do so gladly.

$20140530_083438.jpg

$20140530_084825.jpg

Last edited:
And yet another reason to buy vintage. Which manufacturers make their razors out of Zamak, or similar pot metal?

:thumbup1: Yes to vintage. I do have one vintage Merkur from the 50s or 60s with a pot metal cap and it is still functioning properly. The threads on the cap seem to be holding up well, so, I don't know what the issue is with the newer razors.

Last edited:
We'll I'm pretty old at this point, but....
you're all telling me that if I were 20 something I should only buy
brass or SS razors?

What it comes down to is, are people willing to take a chance on something that doesn't hold up if the plating is compromised? I have some vintage News that work fine, have been doing so since the 30's, and have absolutely zero plating left. No way a Zamak razor is going to do that( my R89's plating was compromised in less than a year ) .

I don't think there's anything wrong with Zamak razors, if people inform themselves ahead of time and know what they're getting into. I don't think all Zamak razors are bad, but it seems that there are more problems with them than other razors using different materials.

Back in the mid 60s I gave my father a Hoffritz slant for Father's day. He used it daily till his death in 2000. I started using it after that. Other than a few small spots on the edge of the top cap which are starting to show through the plating it's still fine and in use.

View attachment 487712

Last edited:
I think it must have a lot to do with the water. I have two Futurs and two Progress razors that are more than 5 years old, and show no evidence of corrosion, but I have seen other Futur razors that were starting to fail.

We have very soft water in Portland, and I don't any special care with my razors other than to rinse them in hot water after shaving. I don't take them apart between blade changes. FWIW, I use mostly Cella and MWF soaps.

Top Bottom