What's new

A small rant about home work.

I need to rant about the semester that starts on Monday.

Over the last two weeks I've already received 14, yes 14 emails from my communications professor and the professor that runs the communication lab. 14 emails, and a home work assignment that's due on the first day of class. The home work was assigned 10 days ago via email and multiple emails have gone out to remind us that it's due and what we need to do in order to complete the assignment and be successful in this class. A few of the emails also explain why this class is going to be one of THE most important classes that I'll ever take in college and how this class will change the way I think and improve my life FOREVER! This is not the first time I've been assigned home work before the semester starts and it's always been the English department, the math department has never done anything like this. Part of what makes me so angry about this is that I already know that the first day is going to be a huge waste of time and the only thing that will get accomplished is that the students will pick their seats for the semester. To make sure that I appreciate this class even more, my text book cost $138 and it's a work book in a three ring binder, we turn in pages from the work book so at the end of the semester I'll have a nice half inch three ring binder instead of a text book that I could possible sell and recoup some of my money.

I also got an email telling me that my parking lot has been closed down permanently so I need to find somewhere else to park.

Welcome to the new semester...

hey, chances are I printed your textbook...

well, maybe not. The only textbook I know of that we print on 3 hole punch and put in binders like that is for a company that sells homeschool material.

Maybe all this pre-school communicating is communicating a point about communications for your Communications class. Or there's always that cashier's career, I hear, if you can count.

Last edited:
hey, chances are I printed your textbook...

well, maybe not. The only textbook I know of that we print on 3 hole punch and put in binders like that is for a company that sells homeschool material.

We are using a custom textbook that was specially made for our university. What textbooks do you print? Or do you print books for one publisher?

Shawn, the only thing I can say to comfort you is : Par for the course...

Thanks Ed.

I would just give up and go home. Our local Meijers is always hiring cashiers.

That would give me an entirely different set of problems to complain about.

Maybe all this pre-school communicating is communicating at point about communications for your Communications class. Or there's always that cashier's career, I hear, if you can count.

This seems like is could be or should be a Dr. Seuss quote.

Totally a first world problem.

Yes, It is. Getting home work assigned before the semester starts isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

I may be a fool, But I greatly Question the usefulness of collage now If you are not studying in a hard and applied field.
If I could live my life over again and knew what was on the road ahead of me I would have gotten into a trade, I don't know any unemployed plumbers or electricians.
Then you can use the money you make in your trade to take collage classes.

The other thing about trade school is the classes are more relevant to every day life.
Pay attention to day we will show you witch wires will kill you if you touch them or how a table saw can remove your hand if your not careful, sort of grab your attention.

Shawn,

I think I owe you an apology for my first response. It was a bit snarky and uncalled for. If you'll indulge me (and i don't hear you refusing yet), I'll give a better and, unfortunately, longer response.

My response is from being on both ends of the text book; I was a college student and then a graduate student responsible for teaching other college students. One of my closest friends and hunting buddies is a retired professor and most of my grad school friends are boring old tenured profs. This is my frame of reference.

In my experience, far, far too many college professors perform their teaching duties reluctantly; either because it's always been secondary to their primary interest which is research and publishing or because they've grown jaded by the indifference of students. There is, however, this small, resolute, passionate group of teachers whose mission is to teach. Their goal is, as one said to me, simply to light the flame of curiosity in their students so that learning is lifelong adventure for them.

These teachers tend to be pains in the ***. They're always excited about the topic; eager for school, class or the work week to begin. They believe in their work,your work and the pedagogic dream of becoming better people and citizens through the examined life and asking and arguing about the big questions. If one is corrupted by cynicism or posing as a "been there, done that" world weary, bon vivant, then these people get on your nerves. I love them. In fact, for about three years, I was one of them. One of the things of which I'm most proud is in the annual teacher review book at my old grad school. An anonymous student wrote of my class that "he even made Hegel fun".

If you have ever read Hegel, then you'll know how cool that was.

It sounds to me like you have some teachers here who genuinely believe in their mission. They're not marking time and are putting as much into the course as they're asking of their students. They also appear to believe that education doesn't follow a calendar and while it has a beginning, it shouldn't have an end. The proper response to getting a teacher like that is fearful joy. You'll be tested and pushed further than most of your classes push you, but you'll come away with much more. Whenever a teacher breaks the rules of conduct in the interest of the students, then you've probably got a great teacher.

mark

p.s. I took a communications class as an undergrad and the only thing I remember of that waste of a semester was a disproportionate number of extremely attractive women in the class. Here's hoping you fair better (not that it was all that bad).

Sullybob. I hope your semester gets better. When you've had real life experience like the military, the world of academia can seem awfully silly. I went through the same thing after six years in the USN.

Just to give you a bit of perspective from the other side, I teach a couple of courses as an "adjunct" at a community college and a four year college. I teach because I love it. There are no research responsibilities, only teaching. The pay is lousy. What I make for a semester worth of teaching, I make in 10 days at my day job. The student involvement varies widely. Those that are involved show it through their work and receive good grades. Uninvolved students are likewise compensated.

But I can understand your professors enthusiasm. I hope I'm not as overbearing as (s)he (need to look at that! ;^) but, for me, it really is about helping students learn about the field they've chosen. I view classes as shortened apprenticeships. Tests are an abomination, I give semester long projects, and grades are a neccessary evil.

But know this; an enthusiastic teacher is a rare and valuable thing. This professor's teaching style may grate you the wrong way but rest assured (s)he will give you value for your money. At the college level, that's really what it's all about, isn't it? [emoji3]

Last edited:
Hi Shawn, First of all, thanks for your service. Through that, you have probably encountered many problems more challenging than college and homework.

I think middle and high schoolers have too much homework, but for college, it's Katy bar the door. It's about self-discipline and getting ready for the real world.

I have one in college now and another going next year. The price of college in general and textbooks in particular is my biggest gripe. Textbooks are a HUGE rip-off.

Good luck with this semester.

Hi Shawn, First of all, thanks for your service. Through that, you have probably encountered many problems more challenging than college and homework.

I think middle and high schoolers have too much homework, but for college, it's Katy bar the door. It's about self-discipline and getting ready for the real world.

I have one in college now and another going next year. The price of college in general and textbooks in particular is my biggest gripe. Textbooks are a HUGE rip-off.

Totally agree. Nothing like saddling our youth with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt before they even start their adult life.

So, are you saying my kids shouldn't consider applying to U of T? You can't be recommending Texas Tech.

I don't got to UT, I'm at Texas State. UT is a good school, and depending on what your kids are pursuing it's a great school.

I may be a fool, But I greatly Question the usefulness of collage now If you are not studying in a hard and applied field.
If I could live my life over again and knew what was on the road ahead of me I would have gotten into a trade, I don't know any unemployed plumbers or electricians.
Then you can use the money you make in your trade to take collage classes.

The other thing about trade school is the classes are more relevant to every day life.
Pay attention to day we will show you witch wires will kill you if you touch them or how a table saw can remove your hand if your not careful, sort of grab your attention.

I'm a mathematics major, with a minor in education. I believe that our system forces many young people into college that would be better suited by going to trade school. I come from a family of tradesmen and they have never been out of work.

Thank you. Yes, the price of textbooks is outrageous.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
All I remember is I paid around $600 for textbooks for one semester. When I sold (gave) them back to the bookstore I got $140.
I'm pretty sure they make more profit off selling used textbooks than new ones.

Shawn,

I think I owe you an apology for my first response. It was a bit snarky and uncalled for. If you'll indulge me (and i don't hear you refusing yet), I'll give a better and, unfortunately, longer response.

My response is from being on both ends of the text book; I was a college student and then a graduate student responsible for teaching other college students. One of my closest friends and hunting buddies is a retired professor and most of my grad school friends are boring old tenured profs. This is my frame of reference.

In my experience, far, far too many college professors perform their teaching duties reluctantly; either because it's always been secondary to their primary interest which is research and publishing or because they've grown jaded by the indifference of students. There is, however, this small, resolute, passionate group of teachers whose mission is to teach. Their goal is, as one said to me, simply to light the flame of curiosity in their students so that learning is lifelong adventure for them.

These teachers tend to be pains in the ***. They're always excited about the topic; eager for school, class or the work week to begin. They believe in their work,your work and the pedagogic dream of becoming better people and citizens through the examined life and asking and arguing about the big questions. If one is corrupted by cynicism or posing as a "been there, done that" world weary, bon vivant, then these people get on your nerves. I love them. In fact, for about three years, I was one of them. One of the things of which I'm most proud is in the annual teacher review book at my old grad school. An anonymous student wrote of my class that "he even made Hegel fun".

If you have ever read Hegel, then you'll know how cool that was.

It sounds to me like you have some teachers here who genuinely believe in their mission. They're not marking time and are putting as much into the course as they're asking of their students. They also appear to believe that education doesn't follow a calendar and while it has a beginning, it shouldn't have an end. The proper response to getting a teacher like that is fearful joy. You'll be tested and pushed further than most of your classes push you, but you'll come away with much more. Whenever a teacher breaks the rules of conduct in the interest of the students, then you've probably got a great teacher.

mark

p.s. I took a communications class as an undergrad and the only thing I remember of that waste of a semester was a disproportionate number of extremely attractive women in the class. Here's hoping you fair better (not that it was all that bad).

Mark, no apology necessary for your first response, I took it to mean that I should consider myself fortunate that I'm able to attend college. Thank you for the long reasoned response. I'm not the typical college student, I'm 46, I've been married for 24 years, I have two children, one in high school and one that graduated a year ago, I served 20 years in the Marine Corps. In all fairness getting homework assigned before the semester starts and that's due the first day of class isn't that big of a problem. What concerns me the most is that I've gotten 14 emails and the semester hasn't started yet. Usually when professors blast email after email after email I find that they aren't organized and ready to teach class. I hope that my misgivings are wrong and my professor is ready to teach, and organized. I've had a few teachers whose primary duty was research and they felt that teaching undergrads was beneath them, these classes sucked to put it mildly. I've also had professors from the other end of the spectrum, teachers who are passionate about what they are teaching and want to not only inspire their students but make them question the world and how it works. Because of those passionate teachers I decided to pursue a degree in mathematics and I hope to inspire others as I have been inspired.

It sounds like you are or were a great professor.

Sullybob. I hope your semester gets better. When you've had real life experience like the military, the world of academia can seem awfully silly. I went through the same thing after six years in the USN.

Just to give you a bit of perspective from the other side, I teach a couple of courses as an "adjunct" at a community college and a four year college. I teach because I love it. There are no research responsibilities, only teaching. The pay is lousy. What I make for a semester worth of teaching, I make in 10 days at my day job. The student involvement varies widely. Those that are involved show it through their work and receive good grades. Uninvolved students are likewise compensated.

But I can understand your professors enthusiasm. I hope I'm not as overbearing as (s)he (need to look at that! ;^) but, for me, it really is about helping students learn about the field they've chosen. I view classes as shortened apprenticeships. Tests are an abomination, I give semester long projects, and grades are a neccessary evil.

But know this; an enthusiastic teacher is a rare and valuable thing. This professor's teaching style may grate you the wrong way but rest assured (s)he will give you value for your money. At the college level, that's really what it's all about, isn't it? [emoji3]

Thanks, my semester is going to be good because I won't let it be anything but good. After serving in the Marines and having children grow to adulthood and now being told that this class is going to be one of the best things that ever happens to me, it just seems silly. I could be wrong and it would be great if I am wrong, but I doubt that I am going to look back on this class and think it's one of the greatest things to ever happen to me. I like semester long projects, I like multiple projects throughout the semester even better.

I agree with you that an enthusiastic teacher is rare, and I think it's even rarer at the college level. I would rather have an enthusiastic, excited professor than a dull, boring professor who is just punching a time clock. Show me that enthusiasm in the classroom don't blast me with emails.

Part of what irritates me about assigning homework that's due the first day of class is the fact that the first day of class is usually not a productive class. How many students are going to change their schedule the first week? What about the kids who weren't able to get their school email set up and they won't know about the assignment until they show up the first day? And what about the students who will register for this class tomorrow when the add/drop period opens, since they weren't in the class they didn't get the emails about the assignment?

Top Bottom