What's new

Everyone should own a . razor

What razor should everyone own or at least try?
This popped into my mind as I was using a Japanese frameback. This razor doesn't feel like any other razor I have. Many of my straights basically feel very similar so I was shocked at how different this one was. So what razor should everyone experience?

Dubl Duck "Goldedge". Not a beat up 'vintage' ebay specimen. I'm talking about a 6/8 in good condition and properly honed. I have Fillis, Dorkos, Friodurs, Bokers and Dovos. None of them can outshave the Goldedge. JMHO

I think it would be a big near wedge Wade and Butcher or one of the other nice 100+ year old blades out there. Just for the historical perspective it lends to our hobby. Long before the internet or the airplane for that matter men made razors with their two hands that are still providing fantastic shaves today and will still be going in another hundred years. Yes, I really enjoy the historical connection our hobby has.

I think it would be a big near wedge Wade and Butcher or one of the other nice 100+ year old blades out there. Just for the historical perspective it lends to our hobby. Long before the internet or the airplane for that matter men made razors with their two hands that are still providing fantastic shaves today and will still be going in another hundred years. Yes, I really enjoy the historical connection our hobby has.

+1

Ugh, this is a hard one. If I had to say just one razor...

Heljestrand 6/8+ with thumb notch. Personally to me it is the apex predator for folicle growth. The MK12 has a nice heft and holds an edge for an extended period of time. The blade is also shorter than many larger blades which makes it more nimble on your face.

I have this 185 yr old W&B wedge with this hand etched ship on the ocean with rigging, crew, sky, and even a pelican. Still in original scales, I think shaving with something from before the civil war is an amazimg experience.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not sure if I should restore or leave as is. Little/No hone wear but minor pitting(for its age) on the etch etc. Pic is as found. Shaves great after 2 layers of tape, straight bevel that didn't hit the waves!

Last edited:
I think there are a few classics one should have:
- Agreed with Hee Soo on the Filarmonica
- Puma
- LeGrelot
- a Frameback
- Wapienica
- an old Sheffield (Joseph Elliott, WB ...)
- and yes a Gold dollar too.

A Swede and a Japanese would be nice too to complement that assortment.

+1

The look of the monster W & B is what made me take the straight razor plunge...and will be my go to once I gain the skills necessary to use one.

Top Bottom