What's new

How much, how often, and for what . would you pay good money to watch sports on TV?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Okay, in 1992 I went in with a bunch of buddies and we each paid something ridiculous like $2 each to get a WWF pay-per-view ... turned out to be a decent one ...

... but still, that's the one and only time I've shelled out good money to watch sports on a screen. (I once got an invite to watch a MMA PPV about 6 years ago, but it was a "bring beer & munchies" potluck, and we didn't pay for the actual PPV.)

But that's it.

Beyond basic cable, I don't pay extra to watch sports. I certainly don't do PPV. However ...

... a recent change in hockey broadcaster in Canada (they paid a LOT of money for the rights ... one wonders how they intend to recoup their investment ... no doubt out of the fans' pocketbooks!) got me thinking about the likelihood that if I want to keep watching hockey on TV as much as in the past, I'll have to pony up more dough.

Frankly, I won't.

I'll pay for basic cable, watch commercials from Ford and Molson's and anyone else, I'll sit idly by as the end boards get covered with unsightly adverts, but ... I'm not coughing up extra money for the privilege.

So ...

... how 'bout you chaps? Do you pony up for PPV's? Or not? What are your thoughts on this, be it around hockey or MMA, baseball, basketball ... would you pay to watch the Olympics?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get PPV movies at a discount and my cable bill is virtually free (perks of the job), but I'd never pay to watch a sports event on my telly.
I have paid 20 bucks to watch 6 nations rugby in a bar, but somehow that's different.

I live in Korea so I paid about $140 for the nfl pass so i can watch games when I want. I love the condensed option where I can watch a whole game in 30 minutes.

I paid $60 for UFC 116 a while back when I was traveling and it was a PPV I really wanted to see. The other PPV's I've seen I go to bars that show them.

Once I found out that TSN was showing Formula 1 racing I dumped my subscription to The Speed Channel.
Formula 1 is the only sporting event that I would pay for and even then it wouldn't be much.

Top Bottom