What's new

How to: Get rid of your Weber wavy blade for under $4 and 10 minutes!!!!!

Thanks for the pics and link. I'll check out my weber with some magnification when I get home tonight. It shaves great as it is, but I still want to check it!

I would just like to follow up to say that after straightening out the wavy blade the shave is much smoother. Minus wonkiness I can now see what the hype is about. It took me about 15 minutes with some sandpaper, but I am very picky.

Last edited:
I think one of the variations might be in aggressiveness too. Mine is dead straight, but from reading other peoples opinions and hearing it described as medium aggressive, I think mine is more aggressive than usual. Mine is the most aggressive razor I have, blowing even my open combs out of the water. Now, this is not a bad thing, I really really like the razor. I keep trying others and going back. But that thing is hot.

Brilliant fix for those wavy Webers. It's as simple as it's effective.

I was lucky in that mine is perfectly straight, purchased last year.

I think one of the variations might be in aggressiveness too. Mine is dead straight, but from reading other peoples opinions and hearing it described as medium aggressive, I think mine is more aggressive than usual. Mine is the most aggressive razor I have, blowing even my open combs out of the water. Now, this is not a bad thing, I really really like the razor. I keep trying others and going back. But that thing is hot.

Also worth noting is if it is too aggressive you can shave the rails down and lower the gap making it more mild. In photos I have noticed some look like they have a bigger blade gap then others. That can definitely account for various aggressivenesses people experience.

I would just like to follow up to say that after straightening out the wavy blade the shave is much smoother. Minus wonkiness I can now see what the hype is about. It took me about 15 minutes with some sandpaper, but I am very picky.

Definitely. One of mine was noticeable more wavy on one side and I could tell the difference of which side I was shaving with.

Mine (purchased in June) seems to be okay, I think.

I've been peering at it with a magnifying glass for the last 20 min.

View attachment 488837

--Bob

Despite getting really smooth, close shaves with my Weber PH, this thread has also prompted me to study my razor under a powerful magnifying glass. I don't see what I would term a wavy blade (that goes up & down), but there is a slight curve in the blade on both sides, with the blade gap being greater in the middle of the blade & less in the corners.

When my Weber's base place is put on a flat surface, it does rock very slightly from side to side on its long axis. Also, I can see that the edges on my Weber's end cap are not perfectly straight either.

On one side of my Weber's head, the blade also slopes, with the blade gap in one corner being greater than the blade gap on the other side of the same blade edge. Unless it is an optical illusion, the picture of your Weber shows the same thing, with a greater blade gap on the left side.

I think that we are perhaps getting a bit OCD about the Weber heads, these aren't parts for the aerospace industry we are talking about! I am fairly sure that if I look at my other razors, modern & vintage, under a powerful magnifying glass, I will find that the blade edge is not perfectly straight.

As my face cannot tell that the blade in my Weber is not perfectly straight, I won't be taking any remedial action with mine.

...but there is a slight curve in the blade on both sides, with the blade gap being greater in the middle of the blade & less in the corners...
Same here.
Gave it a quick rub on the 1500 w&d paper using more pressure towards each end of the tray. This reduced the difference maybe a touch, but I don't want to file too much off the rails tbh.

Same here.
Gave it a quick rub on the 1500 w&d paper using more pressure towards each end of the tray. This reduced the difference maybe a touch, but I don't want to file too much off the rails tbh.

I know what you mean about not wanting to adjust it too much. I am definitely adopting the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy!

I couldn't stop myself from checking my other currently loaded razors (2013 R41, Tradere 2nd gen. OC & Standard Razor) for blade waviness, but they are all perfectly straight. Therefore, I shot my earlier theory down in flames, as slight blade waviness seems to be the exception, not the norm.

Despite getting really smooth, close shaves with my Weber PH, this thread has also prompted me to study my razor under a powerful magnifying glass. I don't see what I would term a wavy blade (that goes up & down), but there is a slight curve in the blade on both sides, with the blade gap being greater in the middle of the blade & less in the corners.

When my Weber's base place is put on a flat surface, it does rock very slightly from side to side on its long axis. Also, I can see that the edges on my Weber's end cap are not perfectly straight either.

On one side of my Weber's head, the blade also slopes, with the blade gap in one corner being greater than the blade gap on the other side of the same blade edge. Unless it is an optical illusion, the picture of your Weber shows the same thing, with a greater blade gap on the left side.

I think that we are perhaps getting a bit OCD about the Weber heads, these aren't parts for the aerospace industry we are talking about! I am fairly sure that if I look at my other razors, modern & vintage, under a powerful magnifying glass, I will find that the blade edge is not perfectly straight.

As my face cannot tell that the blade in my Weber is not perfectly straight, I won't be taking any remedial action with mine.

I know what you mean about not wanting to adjust it too much. I am definitely adopting the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy!

I couldn't stop myself from checking my other currently loaded razors (2013 R41, Tradere 2nd gen. OC & Standard Razor) for blade waviness, but they are all perfectly straight. Therefore, I shot my earlier theory down in flames, as slight blade waviness seems to be the exception, not the norm.

I do agree that if your razor needs to be under a microscope to notice any small changes and you don't notice it on your face I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. However there are some razors which are very wavy and alter the shave noticeably which is what this thread is here for.

Also I will add that I too noticed all of my other razors including dirt cheap cadet/RazoRock razors have a perfectly straight blade. It is a little frustrating that a $10 razor has a straight blade but not a $70 razor. But again this thread is to get it straight enough to not be noticeable by feel and to improve a wavy blade dramatically. I don't think I'll ever get my weber as straight as my other razors but it is now a smooth shaver.

I have two Weber PH razors and while both have some wave, the one bought last year is much worse. I'll have to give this a try tonight, I luckily already have the sandpaper on hand for sharpening plane irons.

We should start a petition asking Weber to fix the wavy blade and bring back the wavy handle. Just kidding of course (sort of).

I purchased a Weber polished head on 7/22/14. No issue with blade gap or alignment.

My only issue was that the threads on the head are slightly undersized. I thought it was a defect. Response from Weber was that the threads on the head are designed that way to prevent metal on metal grinding (wear). The head tightens up ok and stay tight - I just thought it was odd.

A trick from sharpening woodworking gouges is to cover the area to be sharpened with some permanent marker (like a sharpie) before you start, you can then gauge where and how much material was removed. It helps you know when to stop sharpening.

It would be interesting to see if "in progress" shots from different folks to see if rails are all concave/convex in the same areas.

I'm sure they're not all the same.... mine has a bit of a crooked smile. That is, the blade gap increases on the corners, smaller in the middle. Others describe a frown. Mine shaves very well, but not as well as my other Webers. I had chalked that up to the coating on the others. I'll have to take my rails to a water-stone before reassessing whether I like PH just as much after all.

Sounds more like a razor DIY kit than a finished product! That's too harsh but I would think the folks at Weber would want to speak out on this here on B&B since this is such a popular and respected Forum.

Mine, purchased a month ago, has a smile. I did the waterstone and sharpie trick and got my rails level, which helped. But one corner has a larger gap (let's call it a smirk). If I rotate the lower piece of the head (the one with the rails) the smirk stays in the same place, indicating to me the issue is the top cap. I can rock the top cap on both sides, i.e., it has a high middle which is consistent with my smile.

Again, probably OCD, I like the razor, though it is not my favorite. Love the handle.

After more squinting through the magnifying glass, I could not say for sure, so I broke out the feeler guages. On one side of the head the blade gap is perfecty uniform from one end to the other, on the other side it is indeed a bit wider on the left side.

However, we are talking a few thousanths of an inch here.

I'm with you on this. When shaving I cannot detect any difference between the two sides, and the Weber continues to be a smooth shaver and my favorite modern razor.

The Weber costs a great deal less than any other all stainless razor currently available, so it is not surprising that the manufacturing tolerances might be a little more than ideal. I also do not plan any further action.

Then again, there may be an ATT in my future. :001_smile

--Bob

Top Bottom