What's new

St. Louis straight

Hey guys. .

I'm currently looking on ebay for a couple spares and some blades to practice honing on. I've recently noticed that there were an abundance of blades ground here in St. Louis, so this has really piqued my interest.

Can anyone tell me some brands that were made in St. Louis, Missouri? Which ones should I look out for? Which ones should I buy, no questions asked? I'm really looking for something vintage with a quality blade that can hold an edge for a while. It seems that there were quite a few makes here, so I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should be looking for. Thanks in advance!

Here's a list of what I've found so far.. feel free to give your input on the makes I've found.

Riethmueller
Shapleigh
Boker... I didn't think Boker was made in St. Louis, but it does have the SS St. Louis steamboat etched on the blade.
Shumate
Felt Pad
Karnak More Co.
JS Cutlery
Simmons HDW
Telephone Koken and Boppert
Twinplex
GWH Hardware Co.
Rizk Bros.. another with the St. Louis steamboat, same as the Boker, don't think it's made in St. Louis, though.

Simple good looking razors.
$IMG_1791.jpg

You can add Koken to the list. Honed one today and it took a very nice edge.

Made in Germany

A bunch of the razors marked with a city on them where either imported or made in the US for another company. I'm not sure which of the St Louis blades where made there or just rebrands. But there a re a bunch marked St Louis that I have seen.

I'd say that Boker was made in Germany.

Top Bottom