What's new

SR Noob Looking to buy first SR. HELP!

Hey guys,

Like title says, newbie looking to go from DE to SR and want something in $40-$50 range and want some advice on what to look for in a beginners razor.

I'm assuming I should look at some used ones considering my price range. I will probably have to also buy some accessories to sharpen the blade.

Any advice? Thanks.

The B/S/T is a great place to look, if memory serves there are some inexpensive SRs there now. I can't reccomend Whipped dog Highly enough though. Larry will get you set up for a very reasonable price, and his customer service is unparalleled.

In all honesty I would go to the hobbyist section and pick up a nice shave ready vintage blade. Worst case scenario you will be able to recoup most of your money back if you don't enjoy the SR lifestyle. Aside from that I would recommend getting a good starter strop, maybe a Tony Miller second, or again check a couple of the hobbyists. For the first couple months you won't need to worry about any pastes or stones, just focus on using the razor and stropping. If you like the SR life then build the den at that point.

Watch videos, read and study, study and study. And I would concur with the advice of acquiring a shave ready vintage.

Good luck,

Frank

You can get a new razor already honed and a strop set from Buca that is within the price range you are looking at. He is great to deal with. He has listings in the hobbyist section.

Ditto on the Buca recommendation , he will supply you with all you need. My son and I started out with four of his shave ready Gold Dollars. But be forewarned . Filarmonicas and the like will somehow find their way into your rotation.

Top Bottom