What's new

How does the Above the tie H1 compare to the R1

Hi

Was wondering how the 2 compare in terms of aggressiveness. I have the R1 and whilst I like it I do find it a little mild, the logical thing to do would be to get the H1 plate, however I have heard that the H1 is a bit of a beast, how much more aggressive is the H1 ? Thank you for any feedback given

If the 1's are anything like the 2's, the H1 will shave just as smoothly as the R1, but giving a closer shave. That is what i found with the R2 & H2, both great smooth shavers.

The H2 is about as aggressive as a 2013 iKon Standard or Fatip on a heavy handle IMO.

Let me start off by saying that I have five of the six currently available plates with the only one missing being the M2. I find that I use the H2 plate 95% of the time and grab the R2 plate once in a while just for the hell of it. The rest basically sit. I'm not looking to sell them so no pm's please, but my point it that you only really need one plate. If you buy them (new only) from Stan at ATT, he'll swap plates with you as many times as you'd like so that you can find the one that's right for you.

To address your original question and give you some perspective on all of the plates here's my opinion. There is a huge gap in aggressiveness between the M and R plates. The Gap between the R and H plates is much smaller. So the R plate isn't right in the middle in terms of aggressiveness between the other two.

The H plates in my opinion are only slightly more aggressive than the R plates. To give you some idea where the R plate fits in, if you were using an aggressiveness scale where the M plate was a 1 and the H plate was a 100 then the R plate would fall somewhere around the 85 to 90 mark for me. Definitely skewed toward the more aggressive side.

I prefer the open comb plates to the closed comb plates but the geometry is the exact same. The aggressiveness between the plates is the same. The angles are the same, the design the same, they just differ on one being SB and the other OC. They shave very similar but I find the H2 just a tad smoother likely because of the nature of the open comb leaving some lather on our face. I do like the lather left behind for some minor touch ups as well. If I had to choose between the two (I don't because I have them both) I'd go open comb but I could happily shave with either for the rest of my life and be completely satisfied. I bought the OC plates because of curiosity not because I felt like anything was missing in using the SB series. Both styles are absolutely excellent. Instead of comparing the H2 and H1, maybe first decide if you're interested in the SB or OC version and then pick your level of aggressiveness between the R and H series.

I'd recommend you start with an R2. This will give you an idea of how you feel about the OC design and give you a baseline on aggressiveness. The H2 really isn't that much more aggressive at all and the razors feel very much the same. The blade gap on these razors isn't as wide as you think it would be for an aggressive razor. They are getting the aggressiveness from the blade angle and advanced design. They are made like a high quality precision tool with very tight specifications. Fit and finish is unparalleled and everything is the highest quality as you are going to find.

As far as comfort and usability go, with any of the H or R series plates if you have good technique (prep, shave angle and pressure) then you will absolutely love it. You'll get the closest and longest lasting shaves of your life. However, if your technique is bad it will punish you and you won't care for it much at all. The M plates are much more tolerant of poor technique and are only slightly more aggressive than an EJ razor.

Good luck,

Last edited:
I should have my H1 plate any day now. I have used the M1 and I use the R1 daily now. I'll let you know when I get it.

Got the 5 pc set a few months ago. I don't personally care for the open comb design so it is the H1/R1/M1 plates that I tried. Returned the M1 and exchanged for a cap shortly after trying it.

As to your question, the difference between the H1 and R1 is not huge. Both deliver a close and comfortable shave. That said, I find I use the R1 for my daily razor and the H1 occasionally. I have issues using the H1 two or more days in succession. So for me the R1 is the ideal daily razor. If you find it somewhat mild for your taste then by all means try the H1. If you purchase from Stan you can always return it if it does not work out. I like both and can't imagine not having both.

Let me start off by saying that I have five of the six currently available plates with the only one missing being the M2. I find that I use the H2 plate 95% of the time and grab the R2 plate once in a while just for the hell of it. The rest basically sit. I'm not looking to sell them so no pm's please, but my point it that you only really need one plate. If you buy them (new only) from Stan at ATT, he'll swap plates with you as many times as you'd like so that you can find the one that's right for you.

To address your original question and give you some perspective on all of the plates here's my opinion. There is a huge gap in aggressiveness between the M and R plates. The Gap between the R and H plates is much smaller. So the R plate isn't right in the middle in terms of aggressiveness between the other two.

The H plates in my opinion are only slightly more aggressive than the R plates. To give you some idea where the R plate fits in, if you were using an aggressiveness scale where the M plate was a 1 and the H plate was a 100 then the R plate would fall somewhere around the 85 to 90 mark for me. Definitely skewed toward the more aggressive side.

I prefer the open comb plates to the closed comb plates but the geometry is the exact same. The aggressiveness between the plates is the same. The angles are the same, the design the same, they just differ on one being SB and the other OC. They shave very similar but I find the H2 just a tad smoother likely because of the nature of the open comb leaving some lather on our face. I do like the lather left behind for some minor touch ups as well. If I had to choose between the two (I don't because I have them both) I'd go open comb but I could happily shave with either for the rest of my life and be completely satisfied. I bought the OC plates because of curiosity not because I felt like anything was missing in using the SB series. Both styles are absolutely excellent. Instead of comparing the H2 and H1, maybe first decide if you're interested in the SB or OC version and then pick your level of aggressiveness between the R and H series.

I'd recommend you start with an R2. This will give you an idea of how you feel about the OC design and give you a baseline on aggressiveness. The H2 really isn't that much more aggressive at all and the razors feel very much the same. The blade gap on these razors isn't as wide as you think it would be for an aggressive razor. They are getting the aggressiveness from the blade angle and advanced design. They are made like a high quality precision tool with very tight specifications. Fit and finish is unparalleled and everything is the highest quality as you are going to find.

As far as comfort and usability go, with any of the H or R series plates if you have good technique (prep, shave angle and pressure) then you will absolutely love it. You'll get the closest and longest lasting shaves of your life. However, if your technique is bad it will punish you and you won't care for it much at all. The M plates are much more tolerant of poor technique and are only slightly more aggressive than an EJ razor.

Good luck,

David

Thank you for taking the time to write up your review. Very well written. I have the 7 piece set closed comb set My thoughts are it gives a good shave but I prefer my other Razor..

Got the 5 pc set a few months ago. I don't personally care for the open comb design so it is the H1/R1/M1 plates that I tried. Returned the M1 and exchanged for a cap shortly after trying it.

As to your question, the difference between the H1 and R1 is not huge. Both deliver a close and comfortable shave. That said, I find I use the R1 for my daily razor and the H1 occasionally. I have issues using the H1 two or more days in succession. So for me the R1 is the ideal daily razor. If you find it somewhat mild for your taste then by all means try the H1. If you purchase from Stan you can always return it if it does not work out. I like both and can't imagine not having both.
Al
Thank You for your thoughts My set is the Closed Comb. I get an okay shave but no great loss. They are over priced but they are a good piece of workmanship.

Good luck

I shave daily with a single WTG pass(plus a bit of buffing here and there). The H1 is aggressive enough to give me a nearly perfect one-pass shave. I cannot get that with the R1. The H1 is that good. On the other hand, you better not be in a hurry with the H1; and your prep better be really good; and you must be technically sound - or else the H1 will bite your face.

I also want to add that the ATT system makes you very aware of the razor blade. I travel with my EJ89. My Polsilvers, PermaSharps and GSBs all feel pretty much the same in the EJ89. (I don't even use a Feather in the EJ. Terrible combo on my face). The ATT makes it easy to identify the differences between the blades. Some might say that the ATT is "blade sensitive." I believe that the ATT is such a fine tuned machine that it exposes the weaknesses and strengths of every individual component in the chain. (Would you use a Toyota Corolla to evaluate a racing tire? It takes a Ferrari to evaluate the qualities of a racing tire.)

My Favorite Combo: ATT R1 with a Feather blade.

If you like the R1 and think you'd like a little more, the H1 might be perfect. I've been using the H2 daily for the past couple weeks and even though I've never been a fan of OC's in the past, I really like the ATT OC's. I like the H2 better than the H1 but both are great.

I have all 6 base plates. I agree with David's (dfoulk) description of the huge difference between the R and M plates as well as the slight difference between the R and H. For me the 2's are just slightly more aggressive than the 1's. So in order of less to most is goes M1, M2, R1, R2, H1 and H2. It does allow you to dial it in depending on your mood.
I do take some degree of exception to them being over priced. First, they are wonderful examples of American Craftsmanship. Combine those with Personna Medpreps and you have an all American made kit. Grab some RazoRock software and you are at least in North America. Finish it with a Wolf wiskers brush and Georgetown Pottery and your all American. But I digress, back to the cost of ATT. Yup they are an investment, for me, I am late forties, have lots of decades left to shave (I hope). My 15 year old son has been wet shaving for 9 months now. These razors I can hand down to him and he to his son. So I think a couple of hundred bucks for several lifetimes of usage is CHEAP!

I agree about the cost as well, it is high and sure you are paying more, but you're paying more for a higher quality.

There is a higher cost to produce these razors likely because it takes an hour to produce each head on an expensive CNC machine with an operator making much more than minimum wage. So, one machine can make 8 razors a day, which doesn't include the handles. These pieces are manufactured from a solid block of stainless steel. So Stan at ATT has to pay for use of the $200,000 machine and for the operator's time to run it in order to produce these razors. There's designing involved as well as programming and machine setup time which I'm sure doesn't come cheap. These have to be sold at a higher price and Stan likely isn't making as much off one as you'd think he is. I believe he still has a day job and works just like the rest of us.

Now, keep in mind that you are also paying more for something that will last your entire lifetime and then your son can use it for his entire lifetime as well. This is something that you are using every single day of your life.

My wife uses hair dryers and curling irons every morning and they each last about a year. If she buys the cheaper ones (which she doesn't) then we're talking about $40 a year for each. If I could spend $200 and buy one that would last the rest of my life and my daughters life as well it would be a no brainer, I would do it in a second. But nobody thinks twice about spending $40 on a hair dryer or curling iron every year.

So what do hair dryers and curling irons have to do with shaving? Likely nothing, but before I started wet shaving I purchased a couple Braun electric razors for about $160 each. I still had to buy replacement heads for them at $40 every so often and the batteries they come with seem to go completely dead after about 4 years. So I spent $160 for 4 years plus about 6 heads at $40 each and I used each one until they fell apart and got uncomfortable to shave with. So there's $400 there for each of the 2 razors that don't work anymore. when you add in the additional heads I spend $800 there for shaving items that I can no longer use. Don't even get me started on how many cartridges I bought for all of the cart razors I've owned throughout the years which would likely far surpass what I spent on the electric razors.

But I'm comparing an electric razor which isn't really the same as a DE razor. So, lets compare apples to apples here now. I can buy Zamak razors like the R41 for $60 each (great razors by the way) but they are Zamak and will likely have a lifespan of three to five years barring any drops. How many of these would it take to last a couple lifetimes. I'm 44 now so If I'm fortunate enough to live to see 85 then that's 41 years. If I figure on the high side and say I'll replace the R41 every 5 years and never drop it then I'll need 10 of them for me to shave with, well really 11 but lets just use 10 for arguments sake, so I'd need (10 * $60 = $600) to cover my lifetime. That's provided the price never goes up or I buy them all right now and put them aside in a drawer. So if I had a son and I were to pass my razor to him and he shaved with it as well, then maybe he's my age by the time I'm in the dirt and that'll be another (10 * $60 = $600) to cover his lifespan and I'd guess the razor would still function properly and be able to give someone else many more years of great shaves.

My grandfather taught me that if I bought the best tool I could buy and take care of it then I'd have something truly special that would serve me well. He also told me that If you buy garbage then you will always have garbage. No disrespect to the other razors out there and I'm certainly not calling any of them garbage but I think my grandfather gave me some good advice when I was a young boy. So I'm just saying that if you look at the big picture, it's not really that expensive considering how long and how well it will serve you every single day of your life.

I bought the very best tool I could get and I'm taking care of it. I believe it to be the best razor ever made, plus it's an absolute joy to use every day. I'm fortunate to be able to spend the money up front to buy a tool like this, which will save me money in the long run. If I wasn't able to do this then a vintage razor, that was made in an era when we didn't make everything to be disposable, might me a nice choice as well.

Last edited:
I shave daily with a single WTG pass(plus a bit of buffing here and there). The H1 is aggressive enough to give me a nearly perfect one-pass shave. I cannot get that with the R1. The H1 is that good. On the other hand, you better not be in a hurry with the H1; and your prep better be really good; and you must be technically sound - or else the H1 will bite your face.

I also want to add that the ATT system makes you very aware of the razor blade. I travel with my EJ89. My Polsilvers, PermaSharps and GSBs all feel pretty much the same in the EJ89. (I don't even use a Feather in the EJ. Terrible combo on my face). The ATT makes it easy to identify the differences between the blades. Some might say that the ATT is "blade sensitive." I believe that the ATT is such a fine tuned machine that it exposes the weaknesses and strengths of every individual component in the chain. (Would you use a Toyota Corolla to evaluate a racing tire? It takes a Ferrari to evaluate the qualities of a racing tire.)

My Favorite Combo: ATT R1 with a Feather blade.

I agree with rodmonster.
I've the 5pc 1 series baseplates. The ATT does highlight the differences in blades. The Polsilver blades (my main go to blade) is a bit harsh in the H1 and I toned it down by using Wilkinson Sword blades which made a BIG difference for me in the harshness. Choice of blade can make a difference. Something to consider.

I decided today to triple shim my r1 to see how it would feel, most noticeable thing was how smooth it was, aggressive but smooth, however I did get a little careless and was rewarded with a small nick on my chin

$uploadfromtaptalk1408909802735.jpg picture of triple shimmed razor from the above post

Last edited:
Top Bottom