What's new

Jacob from Brisbane here, just wanted to say hello. Getting a straight shave done was a bucket list item and I got it done at the start of the year and since then I have been on and off this site reading threads and trying to get informed. While I wouldn't say I received a great shave some parts of my face remained smooth for days, much longer then with my normal razor and I have wanted to buy a straight razor ever since.

Due to the cost it wasn't something that I could just go out and buy however with my birthday looming my lovely wife will be buying me one. And rather than just go out and buy something she knows nothing about ( which normally happens) she asked me for advice on what to get which is why I am here asking for help as I no nothing about straight razors.
She has found this one and I was looking for feedback or alternatives.
http://www.shaverhut.com.au/thiers-issard-straight-razor-kit.html

What are your thoughts, I normally only shave once per week and tend to get severe shaving rash when I do.

Thanks
Jay

Hello and welcome to B&B, Jacob. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

That TI kit is very nice looking and that's certainly a quality brand. If you want to invest some more time, you can get started for less with a vintage or another new razor.

Good luck as you start this journey.

Welcome to the forum!

I use a safety razor so can offer no insight into your chosen path. But good luck and this place will help you overcome almost any issue related to traditional style wet shaving.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. You will probably get more advice if you check out the General Straight Razor Talk forum. That's where the SR folks hang out.

Greetings Jacob! Welcome to B&B. Glad to have you with us. That's quite a set up, perhaps a bit pricey!

Jacob from Brisbane here, just wanted to say hello. Getting a straight shave done was a bucket list item and I got it done at the start of the year and since then I have been on and off this site reading threads and trying to get informed. While I wouldn't say I received a great shave some parts of my face remained smooth for days, much longer then with my normal razor and I have wanted to buy a straight razor ever since.

Due to the cost it wasn't something that I could just go out and buy however with my birthday looming my lovely wife will be buying me one. And rather than just go out and buy something she knows nothing about ( which normally happens) she asked me for advice on what to get which is why I am here asking for help as I no nothing about straight razors.

What are your thoughts, I normally only shave once per week and tend to get severe shaving rash when I do.

Thanks
Jay

Welcome Jay, ask you wife to join B&B and ask questions at the Straight razor forum as Steve suggested. They are the in the world when it comes to straight razor shave knowledge.http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/79-Straight-Razor-Shave-Clinic

Thanks
Jay

After yours skin adjusts to straight razor shaving you will be able to shave more often. Keep us updated if you don't get less irritation.

Like alex said, try the straight section. The guys there are very knowledgeable. I haven't used that brand, but from my understanding it is a good razor. I use straights and used to get a lot of irritation, but after investing in good soaps and improving my prep and shaving techniques, my shaves are much more enjoyaable. Good luck and welcome.

Top Bottom