What's new

NY Shaving Company razors - thoughts?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has tried the NY Shaving Company DE models. I see the "Mariner" and "Stout" names on the company site, and have looked through some threads here describing these razors as aggressive.

What are your impressions of these razors? Worth trying out? More aggressive than a 37c, for example? Painfully aggressive? Pleasant to shave with? Which blades go well with these razors?

Anyway, just been curious about these ones for a while. Don't see too much about them, but wondering nevertheless.

Thanks so much for any feedback!

-Alex

Interesting - the basic models look like Weishis, the Mariners look like Merkur 180s, and the Stouts look similar to Jagger handles...

I am sure these are relabeled products from other vendors. Not a lot of $$ these days in trying to design and manufacture a low to moderate DE from scratch.

The mariner has a thread by itself a few months back - on aggressive razors. Think it was compared to the R41 and fatip...

I have a couple of Sabi's which are supposed to be the same head as the Mariner. I really like the shave. I pif'd my EJ89 as I found it too mild for my taste. I rate the EJ about 3-4 on my Slim the Sabi a 6-7 and my Fatip 9+.

Just ordered a Mariner SH and tried it out for the first time this morning - wow!

Combined with a fresh Feather and Haslinger soap, it slashed through nearly a week of stubble with ease! I am very impressed.

I am normally a big slant fan, but this Mariner can definitely hold its own. No irritation, efficient enough for a 1-pass shave (2nd pass was more to touch up gently than reduce stubble).

Now I am torn - use the Mariner, use slants, or keep exploring? RAD reaching critical mass!

$uploadfromtaptalk1410838373895.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1410838396448.jpgIf this is one of the razors you may be referring to, then I must say that having bought this today from Sally Beauty I am very disappointed in this razor.

I had some high hopes for this razor having the shaving characteristics of a super speed from some of my research. Having given my Weishi to an old Vietnam vet, I got it as a replacement.

After doing my prep I began to shave just to find out that it wasn't doing anything. I backed off the tightening knob a bit and it worked good. With my Weishi I could tighten the knob all the way and it was good to go. I don't like the idea of possible shave inconsistency by having to always make sure that it is tightened just right. Also, the possibility of the tightening knob loosening up and having a"live" blade doesn't sit too well with me.

I still have the razor and I will not get rid of it yet. I just wonder if I got a bad one, or I can possibly fix it. The weight of the razor is good and so is the length, but I have got to find a way to fix it.

Top Bottom