What's new

Straight talk on first straight razor

Greetings Gents!

I've been shaving with an Edwin Jagger DE89 safety razor for a few months now and I'm very satisfied with the results I've been getting. However sometime in the near future I'd like to upgrade to the manliest of wet shaving razors and purchase my first straight razor. After-all, putting razor sharp surgical steel to your skin let's you know that you're alive! Plus I really do enjoy the whole experience and reviving this semi-lost art form/ craft. However I have no idea what I need to be looking for and more importantly what will suit my needs.

A few key points about myself:

- I don't shave everyday or rather have a need to shave everyday.
- I have a thick, curly beard which I keep well-trimmed and clean (no ZZ-Top or Duck Dynasty beards for me!)
- I only ever shave my neck (because no-one likes neck beard) and the tops of my cheeks.
- I have slightly sensitive skin.
- While I understand the importance and long-term value of investing in higher quality pieces that come with a higher price tag, I'm still in my early 20's and have to budget my discretionary income. I'm also extremely conscious about where and how I choose to spend my money but don't mind spending a little extra if I'm confident that my purchase will suit my needs.

I hope this is enough criteria for all of you to go on.
I look forward to your comments, suggestions, critiques, etc! :straight:

Zach

You need to make the decision to learn to shave with a shavette or try a traditional straight razor. A shavette will be cheaper but you can go to a traditional S.R. by using some hobbyist vendors on the B&B forum.

I'd much prefer a traditional straight razor. Also I was more hoping for a few recommendations (brand, blade shape, maintenance and upkeep experiences, etc) based on my shaving habits. I'll check out the Hobbyist/Vendor Classifieds forum nonetheless though.

I would go with a Gold Dollar from Buca (check the hobbiest section) for less than $50 you will get a razor strop and a balsa crox paddle/board. This is the best way to try for less. After trying then you can upgrade as you go along. The first thing to upgrade will be the strop. Buca's strop is enough to do the job but not much more. The Crox board will allow you to refresh the edge for a long time.

How about just the gold dollar and strop. The CrOx can be a sure fire formula for a harsh shave. Every beginner I read see here struggles with harsh shaves off of CrOx. Better to invest in a linen or one of the new nylon web strops. They can do a lot to help keep an edge fresh for many months. Big easy tools has a nice looking leather and linen strop at a very affordable price. With a Buca Gold Dollar you would be under $70 and good for 6-12 months if you only shave your neck. Much nicer and more fun than a Shavette.

I went with the Buca package mentioned above. I use the crox but only for 5 or 6 laps. And then about 50 or so laps on the canvas and 50 laps on the leather. I think a lot of the problems that new guys have is over doing the crox and then not enough follow up on the strops to mellow out the edge.
I do agree that a nicer strop will be in the cards and I upgraded mine in about a month but for someone who may not stick with it that is a pricier gamble.

Lastly I would't recommend a shavette. I went that route and I just think it isn't productive. Yes you can get one cheaper than a straight. Yes the motions are the same. But, and it is a huge but, they are so unforgiving and the corners so sharp that a noob can get frustrated by the nicks and cuts. I just couldn't believe that the straight was so much more enjoyable than the shavette.

Last edited:
A shavette like a CJB one that holds the Feather Professional isn't a bad choice in order to skip all of the stropping, honing and added costs associated with it and see if you think you'll like it. It will give you the feel of a straight, sort of. The difference between this and an actual straight razor is that a traditional straight somehow seems to able to tell the difference between hair and your skin where this shavette is more challenging to shave with because it is likely sharper and much less forgiving. I have both and definitley prefer straights but I spent about $35 on the cjb and $20 on a package of 20 blades that will give me about 10 shaves per blade. On straights, stones and strops let's just say I've spent way more than this, and I keep spending.

Looking into lapping film instead of hones is an expensive alternative if you go the straight route and want to keep it inexpensive.

A shavette like a CJB one that holds the Feather Professional isn't a bad choice in order to skip all of the stropping, honing and added costs associated with it and see if you think you'll like it. It will give you the feel of a straight, sort of. The difference between this and an actual straight razor is that a traditional straight somehow seems to able to tell the difference between hair and your skin where this shavette is more challenging to shave with because it is likely sharper and much less forgiving. I have both and definitley prefer straights but I spent about $35 on the cjb and $20 on a package of 20 blades that will give me about 10 shaves per blade. On straights, stones and strops let's just say I've spent way more than this, and I keep spending.

Looking into lapping film instead of hones is an expensive alternative if you go the straight route and want to keep it inexpensive.

Plus One (An excellent recommendation)

I started with a Feather Artist Club with ProGuard blades before I started investing in traditional straights. I keep coming back to it as it's hard for me to find time to maintain straights.

I also started out with an Feather Artist Club SS, and am very happy with the results. Good shaves, very few nick or weepers, and I can concentrate on learning to shave with a straight, and not have to worry about whether I have a good edge on the razor. I will probably try conventional straights in the future, but when I do, I'll have an idea what it like to shave with a very sharp straight. I like the idea of learning one thing at a time.

+1 for this. Buca is to notch and he provides great products.

I would go with a Gold Dollar from Buca (check the hobbiest section) for less than $50 you will get a razor strop and a balsa crox paddle/board. This is the best way to try for less. After trying then you can upgrade as you go along. The first thing to upgrade will be the strop. Buca's strop is enough to do the job but not much more. The Crox board will allow you to refresh the edge for a long time.

+1 on this method...you wont be out a ton, and buca does a great job modifying those razors to get an awesome edge....been using mine for 6 months+ in a rotation with no need to hone, just strop and away you go! The edge he puts on will rival some of your other specialty shops online.

+1 on this, good price and it won't disappoint. I've got 2 GDs from Buca. I have since acquired others, but I used a GD from Buca this morning.

Top Bottom