What's new

Kanoyama canvas strop

So I really like using a medium weave linen strop before leather. I have settled into this routine for some time and find it works best for me.

So of course I ordered a Kanoyama canvas strop because I have the disorder and keep looking for something different. :001_rolle Anyway, from reading about what other people have found with this particular strop, I am wondering if I am going to get something like asphalt only harder? Is it going to be like a hemp doormat?

Some have suggested filling in the weave with soap- that sounds reasonable especially because it is totally reversible (washing the strop will remove the soap obviously). I was planning on trying a plain 'ole detergent bar.... is that it? Some have suggested wax but I am wary as that is certainly not removable.

What say all 'ye folk?

Brian

I am wondering if I am going to get something like asphalt only harder? Is it going to be like a hemp doormat?

Brian

Yes, hard as a rock! I would not put anything on it. To speed the break in process you can put it on a flat table and fold it on itself and roll it back and forth a few times. Flip it and do the same on the other side.

I was thinking about wrapping it around a piece of steel and doing the 'shoe shine' action to break down the surface a little bit.

Youse guize are scaring me a little bit- I am starting to think I am going to get a hanging piece of oak bark in the mail, fit only for a chainsaw. :)

Brian

Yes, hard as a rock! I would not put anything on it. To speed the break in process you can put it on a flat table and fold it on itself and roll it back and forth a few times. Flip it and do the same on the other side.

Got mine today and yep, it the surface was pretty hard. I 'shoe shined' it over the top of a door and that calmed it down a little bit.

It is a very aggressive strop on a razor. The razor feels rough going from the canvas to leather. Test stropped two razors and both edges were absolutely sharper afterward. Also did a test- shave and while I did not have any irritation or redness, I did get quite a few very fine weepers.

Did a quick experiment using the canvas stop, then linen, then leather and the razor is noticeably smoother. Maybe the canvas strop is more of a 'now and then' strop rather than an every day pre- strop.

It is an interesting strop though and very, very different from linen.

Brian

I have kind of gotten to where I like it and it does its job very well. It really sings when you are using it.

A very early opinion but it seems that the canvas strop is closer to honing than stropping. It really does leave the razor quite rough (relatively- I mean it is not a brick or anything like that) and it can readily be felt when going to the leather. Using linen in- between the two reduces the roughness of the edge yet maintains the keenness from the canvas.

Oh, and 5 laps on both canvas and 5 on linen seem to be more than enough to make a very significant difference in the razor.

I think I am starting to appreciate how the old barbers worked: today we use, or can use, extremely fine abrasives and create the edge we want regarding sharpness. In the olden days, a barber's hone or a coticule only had to leave a reasonably flat set of planes for the bevel; the actual cutting edge was made by the coarser pre- stropping materials they used. Today's cotton strops, felt strops and similar do nothing that I can see and certainly nothing anywhere in the realm of what this Kanoyama canvas strop does. I really am thinking a few swipes on a barber's hone, a few laps on a pretty abrasive organic material (linen, canvas, or similar) and a bunch of laps on a piece of leather and a barber could have a magnificent blade to use. Coupled with his skill and a good prep, I can see how the whole system could work well in, say, 1880.

Brian

I had never considered going from Kanayama canvas to linen. I will have to give that a try.

Oh, and just so everyone knows, while I was unwrapping the strop from the box, the wrapper and the sleeve, suddenly Revel's Balero popped into my head. Shiver me timbers. :)

Brian

Oh, and just so everyone knows, while I was unwrapping the strop from the box, the wrapper and the sleeve, suddenly Revel's Balero popped into my head. Shiver me timbers. :)

Brian

Kanayama has that effect. It is something mysterious he puts into his strops.

Filled mine with TOBS triple milled soap, the hardest soap I own. Quieted it down a bit but at the expensive of getting soap all over the blade. Not thrilled with the results. Perhaps I will throw the whole strop in the washing machine- that will get rid of the soap and might soften it up a bit. I am wary to try wax as that is not nearly as easy to remove from the strop later.

I gotta' say though, the best smelling strop in the world (Sandlewood soap).

Brian

I haven't had any issues with the strop from new. Yeah, it was a big change from linen, but I haven't seen any adverse effects by just using it as-is.

I haven't had any issues with the strop from new. Yeah, it was a big change from linen, but I haven't seen any adverse effects by just using it as-is.

Agreed. I have left mine as new except for speeding the break in with a bit of rolling on a table and I am happy with how it works.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Rolling it on a table or in your hands loosens it up a bit. I also washed mine by hand with a nylon brush under running water with a bit of mild soap, and that helped too. Possibly it has some sizing in it. Anyway, that's all I did and I like it quite a lot, it's my normal second component.

You also might try just laying it down flat on the edge of a table and stropping a big 'ol cleaver or knife on it for a while.

Cheers, Steve

Yeah, the 'fill the weave with soap' idea didn't work out- terrible strop drag and left soap all over every razor I tried. Ended up washing the original soap out and then gave it a scrubbing on both sides with Proraso Sandelwood. Still pretty stiff (Easy Boys!) so I threw it in the clothes dryer for 10 minutes. Viola! That really softened it up and now it feels like cloth and now it smells great too.

Brian

Rolling it on a table or in your hands loosens it up a bit. I also washed mine by hand with a nylon brush under running water with a bit of mild soap, and that helped too. Possibly it has some sizing in it. Anyway, that's all I did and I like it quite a lot, it's my normal second component.

You also might try just laying it down flat on the edge of a table and stropping a big 'ol cleaver or knife on it for a while.

Cheers, Steve

When I got mine, I put it through a couple of wash cycles and then laid flat to dry. Used a wire brush on it for quite a few strokes and it's softened up considerably. Still sings when I use it and it is definitely aggressive (in a good way) on the edge. I really like mine.

Top Bottom