What's new

Mikawa Botan Awasedo from Takeshi

Got my approximately 8 in x 2 in Mikawa botan nagura from Takeshi. Didnt lap yet, but feels nice on the blade. I have to lap it smooth though to get a real feel for it. Scratch pattern as it is now (surface is smooth) is similar to a striped iyoto I have. Nice gritty, not sticky and the swarf built up rather quickly. Will give it a whirl this weekend and see after lapping. I can retain the stamp as both side are equally smooth and flat and will seal three sides and bottom. $botanbig.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
That's a cool slab of botan. Looking forward to hearing how it does.

So stupid question incoming:

Do you hone on the big botan slab? Or are you using that to create slurry on a JNAT?

If you are honing on it, what are you using to raise slurries? Tenjou, Mejiro, Tomo, etc...?

Just lapped it, I raised a 1200 atoma slurry. started some half strokes to test. No chips, it needed some water refresh, but no goo or stickiness. It self slurries a little, feels about as hard as my hideriyama suita (will test them to see) and scratch pattern seems to be about the same. Nice and hazy after a quick shot. I think I will use it after the chosera 1k and see how well it clears the scratches. I will post what I find here when I find it. Its very cool so far. But too early to tell. I want to seal it as well. And I have to ask the wife to pick out some nice clothing for it, Lee doesnt like dirty towels... LOL

Last edited:
So stupid question incoming:

Do you hone on the big botan slab? Or are you using that to create slurry on a JNAT?

If you are honing on it, what are you using to raise slurries? Tenjou, Mejiro, Tomo, etc...?
Hello, yes thats why I got it. I am using a 1200 atoma for now. After a few uses I may cut an end off to use for a tomo. I used an aoto tomo and it cut super fast. An aoto is a course stone , ive never used one but have used the tomo I have to increase cutting speed. BUT it comes with added scratches.

You should makes grooves in it to make it look like toblerone candy... That way you could break off a piece and share! Hahah jk nice rock

Updates! I put some time in. I used atoma slurry, base stone slurry with a hard tomo and yae as well as botan slurry. Its redundant in that I have 2 striped iyotos for early work that are a little faster than this, a hideriyama suita that blows away chosera 1k scratches in a minute and a half literally, as well as TBn toishi that is behind the suita in speed and perhaps the suita is a little finer than TB. The best application it seems was using yae botan, it cut fast and cleanly, but again yae will cut fast and cleanly on a base stone, any base stone. Anyway I will look for a new direction and see where I may work this in.

Bill you speak pretty highly of that suita; in glad you love it. How is the slurry from this botan when used on another base stone? Comparable to any other botan?

Havent tried it yet. I have lots of botan and yae. Bought this for one reason and that was to hone on. The shape lends itself nicely to it. If I dont work it in somehow, well when the zombie apocalypse hits, you guys will know I have botan! Just so you know, I only barter liquor and women!:thumbup:

Top Bottom