What's new

Recommend an Omega Boar

I am looking to add a 3rd boar brush to my den. Recommend me an Omega boar brush.

A little about myself:
1.) Face latherer
2.) Use only croaps - Proraso and Panna Crema
3.) Love splay and want splay on my new Omega
4.) Love Backbone
5.) A tad of scrub is fine
6.) Thick, wirey beard - need a good scrub

Kindest regards,

Kirk

"Splay" seems to be more of a trait with Semogue boar brushes than Omega. Based on your criteria, check out the Semogue 620. I realize this is not responsive, but I don't know of an Omega that meets all your wihes.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Very similar to what I look for. I have a few boars and the Omega Pro brushes are my favorites from their line. The Semogue SOC is my favorite from them FWIW.

You'd do very well if you had both a Semogue SOC and an Omega Pro of some kind (20102 has a nice handle but you can also get a 49 on the cheap with the same knot).

I have a 24mm Omega and it's nice but I think the larger Omegas are their best offerings personally. Like a wall of boar hair with tons of backbone and they splay just the right amount IMHO.

Good luck!

I personally have two omega brushes that fit that bill: the 10098 and a 11126. The 98 is basically the pro knot on a longer barber style handle, and it's a monster. Tons of splay that covers my whole cheek! The other is the same style of handle, but on a brush roughly the size of the B and B essential brush, only with a dyed knot. Love them both, but the 11126 gets more use as the size of the 98 is aspecial occasion kinda thing. Hope this helps.

I love my Omega 10098. It's a monster. It's the brush I use most. It was inexpensive too, $12.49. Something a little smaller is the Omega 10049, also an excellent performer and also inexpensive.

I really like my 10066. Overall it's smaller than the 49 and the other pro brushes that others have recommended, but I think it still has a nice combo of splay, scratchiness, and backbone.

Hunting for Boar? Asking such questions can lead to indecision and thus:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 182
Don't know what other Omega's you have, but I can highly recommend the 49.

I have the B&B boar now and love it. I hear a lot of good reviews about the 49. I am just a tad standoff-ish at this point because of the massive knot. Does it feel cumbersome on the face?

Kirk

I have quite a few omega boar brushes. The pro 49 is my favorite, but I also really like the badger and blade model, mine is breaking in nicely. I have some Semogue boar brushes, both are great totally different feel.

Here's another endorsement for the Pro 49. Great backbone, relatively little splay which is why I like it for face lathering.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have the B&B boar now and love it. I hear a lot of good reviews about the 49. I am just a tad standoff-ish at this point because of the massive knot. Does it feel cumbersome on the face?

Kirk

I am a pure face latherer and I don't do oversized brushes. The Omega Pro series is my exception. Doesn't feel too large to me at all. The 49 is being uber praised for good reason, but any brush with that knot will suit your needs excellently. If you want a smaller knot then I would forget Omega and get a Semogue 610 or an SOC for a brush in between. I have a 24mm Omega also and the SOC kills it. The larger knots from Omega hold their own much better IMHO.

Kirk

Oh I forgot. I have the Gold Fleck B&B Essential also just not pictured. The Omega Boars are so inexpensive, you might as well try them all! Actually, I was thinking about giving them out on Halloween instead of candy.

The 10098 from omega is an EXCELLENT brush, and cheap. It is large, but I like that. It really does make me feel like a pro, something a barber would use. You will see people saying the handle is too big to face lather, doesn't feel comfortable, etc. I just don't see how something can be too big to use it on your face unless you're shaving in a high school locker, but I honestly don't mind a larger knot. People will nit-pick anything they can. This brush arrives fairly soft for a boar, or mine did, and as most boars go, gets even softer with use. Mine shed about 10 hairs over the first 15-20 uses, now I get consistent shaves without a single loss. I love this brush, I use it most out of all mine. I even like it better than my Simpson. Something feels simple, nostalgic, and highly efficient about it. And splay, when I shaved with this brush 6 hours ago, the bristles spread enough to cover my entire left side of face. I'm not kidding when I say it's huge. Don't let the knot distract you from the finesse this brush is capable of. The large handle is knocked often because of the supposed unwieldiness of it. For me it does the exact opposite. I love the large handle, and many others do too. When you're not pressing in on your face with it, it perfectly retracts so you can lather your upper lip without "nostril-ing". My favorite boar, because of the knot, handle, and general feel in itself. Thoroughly enjoy, meets all of your criteria. I'll have a Rooney of some sort soon to try, and if it tops my 10098, then it will be one hell of a brush.

Last edited:
Here are my recommendations.

Small Brush Omega 10066 (55mm loft)
Medium Brush Omega 80067 (60mm loft)
Large Brush Omega 10049 (65mm loft)

There are tons of omegas in a 55mm loft so you can choose your own handle. There is only 1 58mm loft and 2 60mm loft brushes (in undyed boar) and then a bunch of larger 65+mm loft brushes. The sweet spot for me is right in the middle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom