What's new

Hello from California and a story or two

Hello everybody, I just got into wet shaving and while I haven't quite nailed the technique down, I'm gettin' there. I do however, have a few stories sure to make you grin. It goes a little bit like this...

I'm getting to the age where it's no longer fun to have super long hair and a full beard, as I had given up on shaving and haircuts back in high school. I was trying to solve the problem of the fact that shaving is horrible. Naturally, my research brought me to wet shaving. Let me say what kept me away for so long were all the Dermatology "experts" claiming that I need sensitive gel. They also hold a poor opinion of brushes...in fact their only good advice was to take a hot shower first and use a single blade razor. Even those crummy disposables all have 2 blades now.

Once I found what wet shaving was, I dove headfirst. Edwin Jagger DE89L, a lidded bowl, henry cavendish soap, two Proraso soaps, five or six different kinds of blades (sticking to one until my technique is down), pinaud clubman, badger brush (escali). I even got a stand, to avoid rigging stuff.

Now the soap and brush came in the mail, a day before the the razor. So I just built my first lather and shaved with my old mach 3, preparing my face the way I learned here on B&B. WOW! Easily one of the best shaves I've ever had, if not the best. This was only with the brush and soap instead of bloo goo. I can't believe people will even attempt to shave without a brush. After last night, I'd say that a brush is just as important as the razor itself...I just can't believe the Dermatologist steered me away from brushes. He did tell me that if I use a brush I should throw it out and replace it every month... sounds like hogwash.

My Edwin Jagger came a couple hours ago. I'm not ready for a shave yet but just tried to pass WTG at the top of the sideburn, because it's so easy. And let me tell you: that DE cut very cleanly (I did it dry, just blade, fur and flesh. This was just an experiment). Easily, without a doubt, cleaner than a Mock razor with fresh cartridge and bloo goo.

Sorry for the massive post. I just realized how long it is. I just had to share this story because I actually am enjoying shaving. Never thought it could be so great in so many ways. Like many things my generation is starting to learn, this is yet another example of the older methods clearly being superior to the prevailing, modern school of thought. At least in my opinion. And a big hello from California:biggrin1:

Wil

Hey there sir, welcome to the forum! You're off to a good start, for sure! If you don't want to shave quite yet but want to try and get the feel for your razor, you can try whipping up a lather and running the razor over your face without the blade. I still do this sometimes when I'm bored or want to make sure my technique is spot-on for my next shave.

Where you from in California? I'm from San Grabriel Valley but went to school up in the Bay Area. Been in Virginia for the past 2 years or so.

Have a great day and enjoy the shaves to come!

Welcome to the club, Will. Glad to have you aboard. Yeah, it's pretty exciting the first time. Rest assured, it gets better with practice.

Hello and welcome, Will. Great to have you here on B&B. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. Thanks for sharing your story.

I'm from the Conejo Valley area. Born and raised. I'll definitely try shaving without a blade. Hadn't thought of it. Sounds like it could help me get my angle down.

Thanks all for the warm welcome :)

Hello everybody, I just got into wet shaving and while I haven't quite nailed the technique down, I'm gettin' there. I do however, have a few stories sure to make you grin. It goes a little bit like this...

I'm getting to the age where it's no longer fun to have super long hair and a full beard, as I had given up on shaving and haircuts back in high school. I was trying to solve the problem of the fact that shaving is horrible. Naturally, my research brought me to wet shaving. Let me say what kept me away for so long were all the Dermatology "experts" claiming that I need sensitive gel. They also hold a poor opinion of brushes...in fact their only good advice was to take a hot shower first and use a single blade razor. Even those crummy disposables all have 2 blades now.

Once I found what wet shaving was, I dove headfirst. Edwin Jagger DE89L, a lidded bowl, henry cavendish soap, two Proraso soaps, five or six different kinds of blades (sticking to one until my technique is down), pinaud clubman, badger brush (escali). I even got a stand, to avoid rigging stuff.

Now the soap and brush came in the mail, a day before the the razor. So I just built my first lather and shaved with my old mach 3, preparing my face the way I learned here on B&B. WOW! Easily one of the best shaves I've ever had, if not the best. This was only with the brush and soap instead of bloo goo. I can't believe people will even attempt to shave without a brush. After last night, I'd say that a brush is just as important as the razor itself...I just can't believe the Dermatologist steered me away from brushes. He did tell me that if I use a brush I should throw it out and replace it every month... sounds like hogwash.

My Edwin Jagger came a couple hours ago. I'm not ready for a shave yet but just tried to pass WTG at the top of the sideburn, because it's so easy. And let me tell you: that DE cut very cleanly (I did it dry, just blade, fur and flesh. This was just an experiment). Easily, without a doubt, cleaner than a Mock razor with fresh cartridge and bloo goo.

Sorry for the massive post. I just realized how long it is. I just had to share this story because I actually am enjoying shaving. Never thought it could be so great in so many ways. Like many things my generation is starting to learn, this is yet another example of the older methods clearly being superior to the prevailing, modern school of thought. At least in my opinion. And a big hello from California:biggrin1:

Wil

Welcome Wil, I can't believe that a trained skin professional told you not to use a shave brush. Why did you see a Dermatologist, did you have past skin issues?

Top Bottom