What's new

Soap Duration Pondering

Out of sheer boredom recently, I decided to actually count how many soaps/creams/sticks I actually have. It's embarrassing, to say the least. My question is: How long will it realistically take to actually use just the soaps, not including the creams and sticks? Would it be fair, for the sake of argument, to say that, on average, it takes 2 months to go through a puck/tin/jar of soap? That's accounting for soaps like MdC, DRH, and then croaps. If valid, that's 6 soaps a year. That means I've got 10 years of soaps - good grief!!! That's it, no more soap buying for a while.......................................................................................................until the next good one comes along!

With soaps YMMV of course, and I tend to use less than most (judging by the photos people post) but I'm nowhere near finishing my Proraso Green which I bought in February.
I had a 7-week hiatus, and I use MdC as a treat on weekends, yet I see at least 30 days more of shaves left in there.
God knows how long the MdC will last - decades?
It's exciting to just think about this stuff.

Soaps definitely last longer than the ol' canned stuff I used to get. I think a can would last me about 2 months or so? Maybe 3.

And the only stuff I've ever been able to completely finish was a sample of Stirling Ben Franklin. I've yet to get through an entire puck or tub of anything after being in this hobby for 9 months.

My triple-milled British soaps, Geo. F. Trumper and D.R. Harris, will last until the Last Trump. Good thing that I love them. My TFS is shrinking much faster. But I have enough soaps (and creams) to last approximately forever.

Last edited:
I decided that I don't care if I use them all as I have a ton of soaps. I love the variety and trying new soaps. My son may inherit a hoarde of soaps and no money but he'll be well groomed. I started him DE shaving with a proper brush and soap and he loves it.

Speaking of which the mail man literally just now dropped off a package.

$uploadfromtaptalk1408643602769.jpg

I decided that I don't care if I use them all as I have a ton of soaps. I love the variety and trying new soaps. My son may inherit a hoarde of soaps and no money but he'll be well groomed. I started him DE shaving with a proper brush and soap and he loves it.

I agree! Having a variety of soaps to choose from is the one of the great things about wet shaving.

The easiest way to find out is to measure your own usage. Pick a soap, weigh it, use it for a week, then weight it again. Keep in mind the soap will absorb some water, so you should let it dry out for a few days before taking the final measurement. You may use different soaps at different rate.

I use sticks almost exclusively, and they run anywhere from half a gram to a little over a gram per shave. I have enough soap to last a long time.

I haven't stuck to just one soap or cream but here are some numbers from soap pieces that I weigh and transfer to other containers for my rotation. I load heavy enough for about 4 passes, but only do 3 and some clean up spots.

All are average grams used per shave

Mitchel's wool fat 1.57g

Cella red tub 1.54g

Mikes 3.07g

Stirling 2.54

I'm still working on several other soaps to know how much is used per shave.

I probably have around 14 years worth of soaps and creams right now.

Last edited:
Your usage also depends on what type of brush you use and how hard your water is.

I had heard of a guy using a jar of MdC and it took him 10 months or so shaving daily to finish it. With that idea in mind I decided to see how long an 8oz tin of HTGAM soap would last me. Armed with soft water and a synthetic brush, I managed to get down to four (4) swirls around the outside edge of the tin per 3 pass shave.

I calculated it out and I was using 0.1oz every 10 shaves that way. Extending the math, that would be 100 shaves per ounce and minimum 800 shaves per tin. This is only a rough estimate based on the math. Douglas at HTGAM usually pours heavy so you'll get more than the labelled 8oz. Even at 800 shaves per tin, that's still over 2 years of daily shaves.*

* - These results were gathered based on 2 months daily shaving.

Of course, this is a rather extreme calculation and YMMV, but I usually calculate it out at about 2-3 months per regular sized (125-150g) container.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Would it be fair, for the sake of argument, to say that, on average, it takes 2 months to go through a puck/tin/jar of soap?
Just pick one and use it up, see for yourself. It's actually very educational.

Or .... you may need to read through the 3017 thread!

Just pick one and use it up, see for yourself. It's actually very educational.

Or .... you may need to read through the 3017 thread!

+1 but note that most of the guys there are HEAVY brushers and can really punish a soap or cream. Most people will probably get more shaves from a soap than those who post their experience on the 3017. I probably use half of what many on that thread use when I load and my lathers are very good so I'm not in a rush to use more of my soap per shave right now.

Your usage also depends on what type of brush you use and how hard your water is.

I had heard of a guy using a jar of MdC and it took him 10 months or so shaving daily to finish it. With that idea in mind I decided to see how long an 8oz tin of HTGAM soap would last me. Armed with soft water and a synthetic brush, I managed to get down to four (4) swirls around the outside edge of the tin per 3 pass shave.

I calculated it out and I was using 0.1oz every 10 shaves that way. Extending the math, that would be 100 shaves per ounce and minimum 800 shaves per tin. This is only a rough estimate based on the math. Douglas at HTGAM usually pours heavy so you'll get more than the labelled 8oz. Even at 800 shaves per tin, that's still over 2 years of daily shaves.*

* - These results were gathered based on 2 months daily shaving.

Of course, this is a rather extreme calculation and YMMV, but I usually calculate it out at about 2-3 months per regular sized (125-150g) container.
Using RO filtered water I use about .006" of an Arko stick per 3 pass shave (measured over weeks and months) 3.25"/.006"= 541 shaves. I have a moustache and goatee so a bit less real estate.

Using RO filtered water I use about .006" of an Arko stick per 3 pass shave (measured over weeks and months) 3.25"/.006"= 541 shaves. I have a moustache and goatee so a bit less real estate.
What's that - about a penny every 2-3 shaves spent on soap?

Agree with all above. Soaps last a looooooooong time. I have 8 in stock now, so I am good for quite some time.

Idea for vendors - offer a soap sampler, say all Trumper's, all D.H. Harris, all TOBS, etc. or allow buyers to pick any three from one of these lines or to mix and match. Maybe too much hassle to deal with, but might catch on like a blade sampler.

Fascinating data. All interesting info. BTW, glad I'm not the only one that has way too many - er, a lot of soaps.

strop

Now half as wise
Fascinating data. All interesting info. BTW, glad I'm not the only one that has way too many - er, a lot of soaps.

You're safe. There is no such thing as too many soaps. They do not go bad, so just consider them a part of your estate. My wife has finally accepted that, so all is good.:w00t::thumbup::lol:

Top Bottom