What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the DX and the RG, except for the extra $150. LOL So I sold the DX and bought another conventional straight. With a room full of straights, I still enjoy a Feather shave from time to time. I can also carry it on a plane without getting it confiscated.
The difference is that the RG is made of brass and the DX out of stainless steel. Then the RG no longer is available.

Skickat från min Nexus 10 via Tapatalk

Over the past three weeks or so I have been exploring replaceable blade razors, Starting with the Feather Artist Club SS, then the Greager GR100B, and now the newly arrived today Feather Artist Club DX. So having been loaned a Feather AC SS Folding Razor from Larry I had to have one after the very first shave so I ordered one, then I wanted to try the fixed blade style so I got the Greager GR100B to test the waters with a Kami Style Shavette, Loved It so went for the 2016 B&B Straight of the Year and got the Non Folding version of the Feather AC DX which is on deck for the very first use in it's lifetime tonight by Me. Looking at the blade exposure I am hoping I live through this LOL

Here are my Past Three Weeks Straight Acquisitions:

Left to Right: Feather Artist Club DX Non Folding, Greager GR100B Non Folding, Feather Artist Club SS Folding Version

View attachment 660698
You two have got RAD really bad. Congratulations to the fantastic razors.
Another pretty good specimen for the Klass Tornblom collection.
View attachment 660649

And it is snowballing Arne!
$KT frameback.jpg

And it is snowballing Arne!
View attachment 660773
Rich, I've been looking at this Törnblom thumb notch in pristine condition with an added cork screw. It was put out for sale two days ago and so far the price is closing in on $1000. There's twelve days to go. It's way out of my league. I just wanted to share it with you to feed your hunger for Törnblom razors. It is one of a kind.
... I know I can be cruel[emoji1]
$uploadfromtaptalk1464058279551.jpg

You two have got RAD really bad. Congratulations to the fantastic razors.

LOL Thank you so very much my Friend, I am done for a while whilst I break these in, but as great a shavers as these are, I am going to be hard pressed to make it through this week with the new Feather DX without throwing some Swedish Steel in there at some point, I have been using these exclusively for approaching three weeks now and my Traditional Straight Razor Itch is starting to flare up again LOL

Rich, I've been looking at this Törnblom thumb notch in pristine condition with an added cork screw. It was put out for sale two days ago and so far the price is closing in on $1000. There's twelve days to go. It's way out of my league. I just wanted to share it with you to feed your hunger for Törnblom razors. It is one of a kind.
... I know I can be cruel[emoji1]
View attachment 660777

WOW! That is Phenomenally Stunning Arne, but that pricetag is just way out of my League for sure my Friend:thumbup:

LOL Thank you so very much my Friend, I am done for a while whilst I break these in, but as great a shavers as these are, I am going to be hard pressed to make it through this week with the new Feather DX without throwing some Swedish Steel in there at some point, I have been using these exclusively for approaching three weeks now and my Traditional Straight Razor Itch is starting to flare up again LOL

WOW! That is Phenomenally Stunning Arne, but that pricetag is just way out of my League for sure my Friend:thumbup:
Nate, that razor is more of a piece for a museum and I hope that it'll end up as such. I guess that it isn't much of a shaver. The heavy metal scales and the cork screw must make the whole thing very unbalanced. Even so if i was to find one for a good price in a box a flea market I'd buy it at once but not to shave with.

Nate, that razor is more of a piece for a museum and I hope that it'll end up as such. I guess that it isn't much of a shaver. The heavy metal scales and the cork screw must make the whole thing very unbalanced. Even so if i was to find one for a good price in a box a flea market I'd buy it at once but not to shave with.

That is what I was thinking as well, after all, it may very well have been a piece that was made as a gift for the Manufacturer by the workers for some anniversary or birthday or something, it is definitely not something that one would see often. I am right there with you thought, if I were at a garage sale or flea market and saw this just sitting there, it would be coming home with me for cleaning, restoration to as close to original as possible and display. That is saying something too because I firmly believe in using every razor in my Den, but this one would definitely have a special place.

I do hope your wishes come true and it does end up in a museum:thumbup:

The difference is that the RG is made of brass and the DX out of stainless steel. Then the RG no longer is available.

I knew they were made of different metals, I meant that the shave experience was identical. I think I also liked that the RG is a tiny bit heavier.

... I know I can be cruel

Cruel indeed! It's sad that unobtainium can come in so many forms! I love the scroll work on the scales!

Thanks for sharing!

BTW, I question the need for a corkscrew on a razor... Mixing wine and razors is a story that could end sadly! =)

It agree it was probably a gag gift by the guys in the shop for a beloved managers retirement. Great find Arne! Keeping the picture!:w00t:

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Henckels & Hammesfahr #98 in close to NOS condition. Two great names that are better together.
Coffin states 3/4 but measures 7/8. Highly polished blade with blued tang and spine.

$image.jpg

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 120
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Top Bottom