What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Just arrived in the mail box from the bay.
13/16" Manufactured Wade & Butcher Sheffield with very little spine wear but part of the stamp is worn away.
and 4/8" Extra Hollow Ground Sheffield that just came with the Wade
$102_1268.jpg

This come in the mail today from eBay

A Geneva cutlery Co. It needs a little work but I might try my new acquired lapping films to it

Attachments

• $Picture 033.jpg
    $Picture 033.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 616
  • $Picture 032.jpg
    $Picture 032.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 615
Just arrived in the mail box from the bay.
13/16" Manufactured Wade & Butcher Sheffield with very little spine wear but part of the stamp is worn away.
and 4/8" Extra Hollow Ground Sheffield that just came with the Wade
View attachment 489044

Almost positive that wade and butcher has been reground. Never seen a stabilizer like that on one of their razors. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but thats the reason there is very little hone wear on it.

Almost positive that wade and butcher has been reground. Never seen a stabilizer like that on one of their razors. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but thats the reason there is very little hone wear on it.
That would explain the plastic scales on a pre-1890 razor. The pair was $20 with delivery, so not too much ventured. Thanks for the insight.

That would explain the plastic scales on a pre-1890 razor. The pair was $20 with delivery, so not too much ventured. Thanks for the insight.

Yeah man. There nothin wrong with it at all. Like Brooksie said, they did a amazing job, I'm sure it was done by a pro. $10 for a one of a kind W&B is a pretty good deal I think.

I went a little bid crazy at a recent auction. I was only going to buy a couple but well, auction fever hit and my rad took over. I keep telling myself I need to sell a couple to recoup a bit of what I spent but the more I look at them, the less I want to part with any. Decisions, decisions.

http://imgur.com/a/LniMt

:w00t: Now that's what I call a day at the auction!!! If you ever need to unload some you just let me know. I'm always here to help a brother out :thumbup:

I went a little bid crazy at a recent auction. I was only going to buy a couple but well, auction fever hit and my rad took over. I keep telling myself I need to sell a couple to recoup a bit of what I spent but the more I look at them, the less I want to part with any. Decisions, decisions.

Got a few from that auction also if it's the one I'm thinking of. A few of those look familiar.

Pick up three straights and a DE at another local antique store yesterday.
This one should turn out nice. A 13/16" Wosty with faint etching and tang stamp.
$102_1282.jpg

And these two that may or may not end up as letter openers.
A Bengal 5/8 with a nice Spanish point and a Daniel Grant 6/8 that has pits that nearly go through the blade. These two were cheap and I was "priming the pump" to get him to locate the plastic tote he said he had that was full of straights that were "in better shape" and had the boxes.
$102_1280.jpg

Needless to say the ADs have bitten in my house. This all came in today and I'm still waiting on a few items to come in this week. You have the 7 Day J.A. Henckels Zwillingswerk No. 52 set on the left, The Joseph Rodgers and Son's 5/8 "Patent Hollow Ground" in the center, top middle is my new Norton 4k/8k with the 1200 grit DMT in front center, new Simpson Commodore X3 in Best badger on the right, and the .5 Micron Chromium Crayon in the front right. Still waiting on a Kent BK4 and a Gold Dollar (To practice honing on).
Now, the debit card rests.

$AD.jpg

I hope it shaves as good as it looks. Should be in my hands by the middle of next week.

$p490780870-6.jpg

A single craftsmancarefully builds each razor from first cut to shave-ready hone to ensure the celebrated and unrivaled quality the Douglas Cutlery name represents. The G5-02 has a 5 7/8" blade with a 2 5/8" smiling cutting edge set in Ocean Coral NDSO scales (Ocean Coral is the logo color for the G5 series completing this collectors piece) with Nickel Silver wedge pin, and a stainless steel pivot bolt. (search youtube for Douglas Cutlery to see the heat and impact tests performed on the new NDSO material). It has a 6 5/8" Closed length and a 10" Open length and is balanced 1/2" in front of the pivot pin to give ultra control and a light feel for the most comfortable shave. This blade features a French Point, and is designed to be the perfect daily use razor. It has a design that is unmistakably Douglas Cutlery while still maintaining the look, feel, and smoothness of the greatest razors ever made. This superior blade is sure to be the newest favorite in your wet-shaving rotation. Not only do Douglas Cutlery custom razors provide a premium shaving experience, but because of their rarity and aesthetics make the perfect collector’s item for the most discerning straight-razor aficionado.

Last edited:
Top Bottom