What's new

harbor freight 3" grinder/buffer

Not only cost but for me it's the safety aspect of it (I can stop the wheel with just my hand) and the whisper quiet function...

For the 100+ razors that have graced this JF buffer it was a great deal!

Ps and it's still ticking!

In your opinion, would you call the "whisper quiet function" of this buffer quiet enough for a condo/apartment environment?

Not only cost but for me it's the safety aspect of it (I can stop the wheel with just my hand) and the whisper quiet function...

For the 100+ razors that have graced this JF buffer it was a great deal!

Ps and it's still ticking!

You have just made my day, and probably saved me a whole lot of time! I owe you big Hees, this is the second time in 1 day you've helped me out!

Finally got around to trying mine out today. Used the included felt wheel with HF green compound on a blade a hand sanded up to 3000. Worked great. All that's left is the little but of pitting I didn't sand out cause I wanted to leave the etching. I also sanded the black plastic scales (ebonite or Bakelite) from 1000 up to 3000 then polished on the buffer. They were a little dull after sanding. More dull initially after a light buffing (also with the green compound) but shined up really well with just a wipe of paper towel. I then took a couple blades that were waiting for scales and the green compound took off a surprising amount of the cloudy clack tarnish that was on one of them. The other, which was cleaner already, looks even cleaner. So in about 30 minutes of use I already feel like I got my moneys worth. Thanks HeeSoo

One thing, the blades get fairly hot in just a few seconds, especially the thin parts. I had heard this before and was expecting it, so I made sure I had a finger or thumb on the blade opposite the part on the wheel, but I was still surprised at just how fast it is. Luckily it is hot enough to be uncomfortable before it is hot enough to hurt the razors temper, but if I had been holding the ends of the razor, I could see how one could ruin a blade before realizing it.

Another tip, watch your knuckles on the other wheel. I lost a few knuckle hairs on the wheel. Luckily no skin before I realized how close it is.

Last edited:
I was looking at the HF 3in today and a question came to mind. Do you gentlemen leave the tool rest, end cover and eye shield in place or remove them? Also the store had a 3inch with a flex shaft, has anyone tried it? Thanks.

I have only used the buffer side so far, so this answer only applies to it. I removed all of the easily removed covers so I can better control what part of the blade is in contact with the wheel and at what angle.

I was looking at the HF 3in today and a question came to mind. Do you gentlemen leave the tool rest, end cover and eye shield in place or remove them? Also the store had a 3inch with a flex shaft, has anyone tried it? Thanks.

Me too removed everything I could...

Top Bottom