What's new

Dying your facial hair

Does anyone dye their facial hair? At 51 my hair has quite a bit of grey, I recently tried " A touch of grey" used on a shade darker than my hair would normally be. It's usually more of a medium brown, but my beard has never been a solid color. Different shades of brown, dark blonde, and slowly going grey since my mid 20s. It's more grey than anything anymore, got tired of looking at it and I've always wondered what it would look like in a more solid color. Huge difference, not sure I like it yet, definitely not a subtle change. I'm on disability so I don't go out much,this Friday I'll be seeing some friends for the first time since doing this. Usually I'm a little more subtle when I change my hairstyle, or facial hair and many people don't notice at first, if they don't notice this then they all need glasses. Lol

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I tried "Just For Men" once, irritated my skin something awful and I'm not usually sensitive to most things on my skin. I eventually ended up shaving off my chin whiskers but I retained a handlebar mustache.

I did for a bit because I was getting annoyed seeing pictures in which the lower half of my moustache and goatee looking like something was missing. More white in moustache now so stopped. I found as time went on that it was more difficult to get coverage all the way down no matter how much I used or how long it stayed on. Tried deep cleaning shampoos too. Does take off some years though.

I have a goatee and I dye it with JfM. Usually "true black" -- I'm shaving my head, so it doesn't have to match, much. Problem is, the whiskers that grow in around it come in grey, so my black goatee will have a white umbra if I don't stay after it very carefully with a razor and with the dye, both. Edging is a bit more difficult than I thought it would be, but it's not too bad (even with a regular DE. And starting to work with a straight -- that seems like it should work better, should I ever become skillful with the thing).

Yes. I have a goatee and use JfM light brown or light to medium brown. Looks a lot better on me than not coloring it.

Looking in the mirror, my hair is getting thinner but mostly brown, my circle beard is mostly brown in the mustache and 75% grey on the chin.
I plan to continue to grow older being true to myself and the outside world.
If I get fed up with the distinguished look I shave it off.

My goatee is Salt-n-Pepper. The moustaches has remained mostly Pepper, but the chin whiskers are mostly Salt.

I've toyed with the idea of dying it, but I asked around a few people and the men were mostly ambivalent, saying "Do whatever you want."
The women that I asked were more firm in their response and their answer was a unanimous "NO! Leave it the way it is."

So I'm leaving it the way it is.

I've also thought about shaving it off completely and starting over. I've had the moustache part for about 40 years and the goatee for about 10.
I grew it out in the first place to camouflage the fact that I had bad teeth, but now that I'm wearing dentures, I don't need to hide it anymore when I smile. But still, making such a big change to my appearance isn't easy, so I keep putting it off.

I'm in my early 40's and I just visited a buddy of mine from college that dyed his hair and mustache/goatee to take the gray out and it just didn't look natural (John Travolaesque). It made me immediately reconsider dying mine as I'm pretty gray with dark hair. Depending on your situation, I think subtle changes are the key.

I'm in my early 40's and I just visited a buddy of mine from college that dyed his hair and mustache/goatee to take the gray out and it just didn't look natural (John Travolaesque). It made me immediately reconsider dying mine as I'm pretty gray with dark hair. Depending on your situation, I think subtle changes are the key.
I've seen a few guys that have dyed their beards and not a single one of them looks right. Even if I didn't know what they looked like before, its pretty obvious that that their facial hair is artificially colored. And that looks pretentious, like an ill-fitting toupee.

Its for this reason that I'm very reluctant to color my own.

If anything should put you off dying your facial hair just take a look how totally stupid Sylvester Stalone and John Travolta look.

Had a coworker try this last year. He screwed up big time as he used his wife's kit instead of JFM. He looked like he had been making out with a flame thrower.

Chemical burns around his entire face and mouth. Idiot.

Frank

Last edited:
Been a couple days, it is darker than i wanted, but I'm getting used to it. If i keep doing this i think i may go with the medium rather than the dark. If nothing else, it was an interesting experiment. Lol

Years back my Van Dyke was dark. Now years later it is Salt & Pepper [Heavy on the Salt} and I prefer it much better. Would not consider to dye it.

Tried Just for Men ONCE and that was enough. I put that stuff on my hair for half the recommended time and it came out so dark that my hair looked like a black hole. So dark it sorta glowed. Never again.

Top Bottom