What's new

I want some Vegetarian Recipes.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
[QUOTEcrispy tempeh, charred peppers and chickpeas, fried rice with a spicy peanut sauce.[/QUOTE]

This looks really good. What's in your peanut sauce?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's Jim's(langod's) recipe Red Lentil Dal. This was so easy to make and absolutely tasty. The wife said, "Oh my gosh this is better than your chili." Well I don't know about that, but it was a very good meal. Something that I will now add to my rotation. The naan bread goes great for dipping or sopping.

$IMG_0309.jpg

Last edited:
Peanut sauce is peanut butter (I always buy the unsweetened natural kind), soy sauce, and siracha. It's usually more runny, but the peanut butter was cold.

Here's Jim's(langod's) recipe Red Lentil Dal. This was so easy to make and absolutely tasty. The wife said, "Oh my gosh this is better than your chili." Well I don't know about that, but it was a very good meal. Something that I will now add to my rotation. The naan bread goes great for dipping or sopping.

View attachment 487503

Wow that looks amazing. I've got a bunch of lentils on hand. I'm probably going to make it this week

I love lentils because they are basically beans that cook quickly without having to soak overnight.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Edcculus you have got to make this. I followed the recipe verbatim other that I added a table spoon of turmeric. The lemon added a nice freshness.

I've been a vegetarian for 20 years. I've never been hard up for recipes. It's tough to recommend one or two recipes, but I can tell you that it becomes second nature to whip something up once you eliminate meat from your diet for even a short time.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've been a vegetarian for 20 years. I've never been hard up for recipes. It's tough to recommend one or two recipes, but I can tell you that it becomes second nature to whip something up once you eliminate meat from your diet for even a short time.

Ok, I'm with you. But why is it tough to recommend a recipe? I value your input.

I have saved the recipe to my collection. The LOML thinks it looks good, too. We'll probably make it this week. Thanks!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have saved the recipe to my collection. The LOML thinks it looks good, too. We'll probably make it this week. Thanks!

Good deal Stephen. I chopped the celery and onion pretty small and cooked them down longer than what was in the recipe. I wanted it to almost melt away into the mix. The bloom idea is key and is what I do often when making chili. I hope you like it as much as me. Leftovers are tonight for us.

Edit: Left overs didn't make it past lunch.

Last edited:
Wow that looks amazing. I've got a bunch of lentils on hand. I'm probably going to make it this week

I love lentils because they are basically beans that cook quickly without having to soak overnight.

Aaron, glad you liked it. It is definitely one of my family's favorites. I've tried several recipe versions and I keep going back to that one cause it is so simple to make.
It's also good spooned over chopped steamed cauliflower, or brown rice, or even as a sauce on a nice piece of chicken. I've even added it to sandwiches... (probably not so good on PB&Js, though :biggrin1: )

Here is an easy one we do a lot: taco/mexican casserolle

You can add anything you like to this dish. In essence, you create a layered casserolle with tortillas and any ingredients you want to add. We ussually do:

corn tortillas
salsa
black beans
pinto beans
corn
shredded cheese
cilantro
tempeh (crumble it up first) for a meat like texture if you want. Cook it up in some fajita seasoning first, and I'd be willing to bet people would think its chicken
sauteed onions and peppers

the sky is the limit. Be creative

Layer everything "lasagna style". Sauce first, a layer of tortillas, everything else, sauce, tortillas etc. Top it all off with cheese and bake until everything is warm and the cheese is bubbly.

Here is another one we do a lot. Taco stuffed zuccini from Oh My Veggies. http://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-taco-stuffed-zucchini/. Its just as good with ground beef if you want as well.

Taco Stuffed Zucchini
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

Vegetarian tacos in stuffed zucchini form! Top them with cilantro, sour cream, and whatever else you like on your tacos.

Ingredients

• 2 large zucchini
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 tbsp. onion powder
  • 2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne (or less if you prefer your filling milder)
  • 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, crumbled
  • 1 ear corn, kernels removed (or 1/2 cup frozen corn)
  • 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 1/4 c. vegetable broth
  • 3/4 c. Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese, divided
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream, crumbled tortilla chips, hot sauce, and other taco fixins for serving
Instructions

• Preheat oven to 400ºF.
  • Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise, then scoop out the insides. Discard the insides or use them for something else. (I'm not sure what you can use zucchini insides for, but you're clever and I'm sure you'll figure something out. I compost mine.)
  • Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and spices (chili powder through cayenne). Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring often. Stir in the tempeh, corn, and jalapeños and cook until they're beginning to brown, 3-5 minutes, continuing to stir often. Add the tomatoes and broth to the skillet and cook until the liquid has absorbed, about 2 minutes more. Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Fill each zucchini half with the tempeh mixture, then top with the remaining cheese. Transfer zucchini to a baking dish or sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are browned. Serve with cilantro, lime wedges, and other taco-y things.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Aaron, glad you liked it. It is definitely one of my family's favorites. I've tried several recipe versions and I keep going back to that one cause it is so simple to make.
It's also good spooned over chopped steamed cauliflower, or brown rice, or even as a sauce on a nice piece of chicken. I've even added it to sandwiches... (probably not so good on PB&Js, though :biggrin1: )

I guess this may be a sin, but I mixed a large spoonful with my scrambled egg whites this morning. It was delicious and filling.

Good deal Stephen. I chopped the celery and onion pretty small and cooked them down longer than what was in the recipe. I wanted it to almost melt away into the mix. The bloom idea is key and is what I do often when making chili. I hope you like it as much as me. Leftovers are tonight for us.

I bloom spices in almost all recipes. Really enhances the flavor. The dal is on the menu for Wednesday evening. :)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here is an easy one we do a lot: taco/mexican casserolle

tempeh (crumble it up first) for a meat like texture if you want. Cook it up in some fajita seasoning first, and I'd be willing to bet people would think its chicken

Ed, this tempeh looks interesting. I looked it up and I'm somewhat familiar with it but I have never tried it. Your casserole I have made before but with ground beef or turkey. So this might be something I could put together fairly easy. Now I just have to find tempeh.

I actually just realized that I've posted a lot about tempeh. While I really love it, we don't eat it as much as my posts let on.

Tempeh is pretty much a fermented soy product that originated in Indonesia. Its somewhat similar to tofu, however the fermentation process binds the soy beans together into a firm cake. IMO, its much more flavorful. Tofu is completely bland. Tempeh has an interesting earthy flavor and a much more "meaty" texture. You can crumble it and treat it as you would ground meat. You can cut it into strips and bake or fry it.

We have a regional chain of "natural" grocery stores called "Earth Fare", which is where I get my tempeh. Most stores like Whole Foods should have it as well. It will be in the same refrigerated section of the store that the tofu is in.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Right, the chicken idea is what I was thinking on an "eat meat day." I few thighs with salt and pepper cooked in a hot cast iron pan. Then slowly braised in the pot with the lentils.

Don't have a pretty picture like Aaron, but we made Jim's Red Lentil Dal last night and it is amazing! Wonderful flavor combination. We served it over basmati rice with whole-wheat pita on the side, and a nice Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. We'll definitely make it again.

Top Bottom