What's new

I want some Vegetarian Recipes.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Don't have a pretty picture like Aaron, but we made Jim's Red Lentil Dal last night and it is amazing! Wonderful flavor combination. We served it over basmati rice with whole-wheat pita on the side, and a nice Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. We'll definitely make it again.

Stephen, wow!! You are making my mouth water. I think Jim's(langod) Red Lentil Dal should be added to the recipe-wiki. I bought enough lentil for a second round maybe I'll make it some time this weekend. Good stuff.

Oh, by the way. I'll be making your Quinoa Black Bean Taco's sometime soon. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Mushroom Patties - Even mushroom haters LOVE these patties!

Ingredients

- 4oz. can of Giorgio, Mushroom Pieces & Stems N, 4-Ounce (24 Pack)
proxy.php
(it's want I use, but you can probably use any other canned mushroom pieces and stems
- 1 egg
- pinch of Lawry’s- Seasoned Salt
proxy.php

- quick oats as needed
- vegetable oil for frying

*** Multiply the recipe as needed: 2 cans of mushroom, 2 eggs, etc. I end up using 10 cans at one time: yes, my family and guests love these that much!

First of all, drain the mushrooms of the juice they are in.

Then, blend your quick oats to make them into a powder (just put the oats in the turn on the blender for about 20-30 seconds). Put this powder aside in a bowl.

Next put the egg/s in your blender with the salt and mushrooms. Pulsate your blender (you don’t want to puree them) until the mushrooms are chopped into small pieces. then pout this mixture into a mixing bowl, and add the powdered oats until the mixture is no longer juicy.

*** don’t use too much oat powder, or your patties will taste like bread: just use enough to absorb most of the juice. If the composition is still a little juicy, don’t worry: just mix again before you fry your patties

Finally, heat up the oil and spoon the composition into the frying pan with a soup spoon. I like my patties small: they get crunchy around the edges and cook thoroughly.

Quick Tip:

Lay a sheet of paper towel on the plate you are putting these as you get them out of the frying pan: this way you’ll get rid of any extra grease.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Adriana,

This looks really good. Thanks for the recipe. I wonder...have you used fresh mushrooms instead of canned? Would fresh mushrooms present a problem?

I have been a Vegetarian going on 21 one years.

My favorite dish;
Portobello Mushroom Melt;
1 lb Portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 large green pepper, halved then cut into strips
1 onion, sliced in strips
mozzarella cheese
hoagie buns

Heat skillet with olive oil about 2 TBSP add your onions, peppers cook five minutes, then mushrooms cook about 10- 15 minutes, season with pepper, salt, garlic to taste.
Before serving sprinkle mozzarella cheese to your taste let it it melt slightly.
Portion into hoagie bun and enjoy.
Serve with fries or salad

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have been a Vegetarian going on 21 one years.

My favorite dish;
Portobello Mushroom Melt;
1 lb Portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 large green pepper, halved then cut into strips
1 onion, sliced in strips
mozzarella cheese
hoagie buns

Heat skillet with olive oil about 2 TBSP add your onions, peppers cook five minutes, then mushrooms cook about 10- 15 minutes, season with pepper, salt, garlic to taste.
Before serving sprinkle mozzarella cheese to your taste let it it melt slightly.
Portion into hoagie bun and enjoy.
Serve with fries or salad

Looks good Brad. It's kind of like a Philly Cheese steak without the steak.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Best of luck! They are really easy so you shouldn't have a problem. Let me know what you think of them.

Stephen, I made your Quinoa Black Bean Taco's last night. This recipe was very easy and very satisfying. I pretty much followed your recipe verbatim. Next time, I may bump up the chili powder. On top I added Martym's(Marty) cream cheese jalapeño dip. It was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Last edited:
One dish I enjoy in the summer is vegetarian fajitas. Rough cut some squash and broccoli and let them cook with sliced onions and peppers. Once that mixture is cooked to your liking add cumin, chili powder, and a can of diced tomatoes. Stir to combine and cook until the liquid from the tomatoes has reduced. Pile it into tortilla shells and enjoy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
One dish I enjoy in the summer is vegetarian fajitas. Rough cut some squash and broccoli and let them cook with sliced onions and peppers. Once that mixture is cooked to your liking add cumin, chili powder, and a can of diced tomatoes. Stir to combine and cook until the liquid from the tomatoes has reduced. Pile it into tortilla shells and enjoy.

Looks real good Joe. I'll keep this one in mind.

Looks real good Joe. I'll keep this one in mind.

It started as an actual recipe, but has since morphed into throwing whatever I have in a pan and adding plenty of cumin and chili powder.

I made portobello paninis last night. 3 portobello caps cut in half, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper, then seared five minutes per side. Slather four pieces of bread with spread (mayonnaise, diced garlic, and rosemary) then stack mozzarella, the cooked mushrooms, julienned roasted red peppers, sliced tomato, lettuce, and more mozzarella between the bread. Cook like a grilled cheese.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm going to make Red Lentil Dal again tonight. It was so good last time that we couldn't wait any longer.

Check out the cookbook One Dish Vegan by Robin Robertson. There are some fantastic, easy recipes inside.

It think I have that. I really love Robin Robertson's vegetarian and vegan cookbooks. You can't go wrong with any of her books.

Stephen, I made your Quinoa Black Bean Taco's last night. This recipe was very easy and very satisfying. I pretty much followed your recipe verbatim. Next time, I may bump up the chili powder. On top I added Martym's(Marty) cream cheese jalapeño dip. It was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Sorry for the delay in responding, just saw this. Glad you enjoyed them! Now I will have to try Marty's jalapeno dip with them...

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sorry for the delay in responding, just saw this. Glad you enjoyed them! Now I will have to try Marty's jalapeno dip with them...

Yeah, Marty's jalapeno dip is pretty good. I tweaked his recipe somewhat to make it less salty. I used low fat or lite cream cheese, 1 jalapeno put into oven on broil to get charred and soft(de-seeded), 1/2 lime juice, 2 green onions and cilantro. Throw it all into a food processor and add water to get the consistency. Mine ended up like mayo. Very little salt added. I took it to a football party last weekend next door. They all loved it. Next time maybe I'll add a little bacon.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Yeah, Marty's jalapeno dip is pretty good. I tweaked his recipe somewhat to make it less salty. I used low fat or lite cream cheese, 1 jalapeno put into oven on broil to get charred and soft(de-seeded), 1/2 lime juice, 2 green onions and cilantro. Throw it all into a food processor and add water to get the consistency. Mine ended up like mayo. Very little salt added. I took it to a football party last weekend next door. They all loved it. Next time maybe I'll add a little bacon.

Yum'E
I never even thought to tweak it. But bacon sounds delish.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yum'E
I never even thought to tweak it. But bacon sounds delish.

Hey Marty, I knew you would eventually read this. I hope it didn't sound like I didn't like your original recipe. For me, reading your jalapeno cream cheese dip was the start of a love affair. Thank you for the recipe.:thumbup:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Hey Marty, I knew you would eventually read this. I hope it didn't sound like I didn't like your original recipe. For me, reading your jalapeno cream cheese dip was the start of a love affair. Thank you for the recipe.:thumbup:

It didn't bother me in the least. It didn't even cross my mind. It is always great to try different things and things differently.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You might want to try lentil and mushroom burgers from Scott Jurek's book "Eat and Run". It's a little labor intensive but well worth it. If I remember correctly we eliminated the flax seed and nutritional yeast. We also used brown instead of green lentils. http://scottjurek.com/eatandrun/recipes/

Actually that doesn't look to bad to prepare. The boiling of the lentils frees up time for your prep work and chopping. Looks good Stephen, I'll mull this one over. Saved and printed.:thumbup1:

Making more Red Lentil Dal this evening. Weather forecast is showing rain and cooler (relatively speaking) temps; perfect for dal. :)

Top Bottom