What's new

Want to start using a straight and need some tips

I am thinking of using a straight as well as a safety. I just need some tips like what would be a good one to buy, and also what kind of strop is best to use. My safety is just being normal and now I want to experiment on something new and i know straights you have to be very careful which I think will be very fun to shave with.

Get a starter kit from buca in the hobbyist classified and watch a bunch of u tube videos .... Then but something nicer when u get better

Thatonekid welcome to this side of wet shaving. Hees has some good advice there, the learning curve is perhaps a little longer than with a DE although YMMV.
There are many good straight razors to be had right here on this forum but as Hees mentioned a kit from one our hobbiests is probably the easiest way to get started.
As far as strops go most new str8 shavers nick up their first strop so purchasing an inexpensive one probably makes the most sense. I would recommend getting at least two razors to start with so that while one is out being honed you will still have one to shave with.
Many of us were pretty hard on our edges at first so having a back up is a good idea.
Take it slow and have fun.

FrankC

Straight razor shaving is a magical experience. I started out with one straight razor and two weeks later 9 more appeared along with a whole stack of shaving soaps and assorted stuff. At the same time that happened a thousand dollars also disappeared from my bank account.

Straight razor shaving is a magical experience. I started out with one straight razor and two weeks later 9 more appeared along with a whole stack of shaving soaps and assorted stuff. At the same time that happened a thousand dollars also disappeared from my bank account.

If there was ever a factual statement, this is it. +1

I personally got a Feather ac SS with proguard blades to start (to avoid stropping, honing, etc)

However, Buca's gold dollars he works over and hones are very very well thought of here. Its often said to buy 2 razors, as if you've never stropped before, you will likely ruin one. I've ruined the edge on a few knives by stropping, I learned how not to after that :)

I personally got a Feather ac SS with proguard blades to start (to avoid stropping, honing, etc)

However, Buca's gold dollars he works over and hones are very very well thought of here. Its often said to buy 2 razors, as if you've never stropped before, you will likely ruin one. I've ruined the edge on a few knives by stropping, I learned how not to after that :)

I did the same thing. I'm very happy with the Feather and Pro Guards, but I'm ready for something a little closer. I'm going to give the Pro Super (already own) a try again and if not happy I will try some Pros.

I also wanted to try the real deal, so I ordered a couple of Straights and a Strop so I can try them next week. I already own a collection of water stones for knives and wood working tools so I want have all of the expense.

Don't get confused by the Feather and Shavette. They are not a SR that does not need honing or stropping. They have more in common with a DE than a straight. With a straight you are are shaving with honed steel. With the Feather or Shavette you are shaving with a Platinum coating. Different feel, different technique and difficult to learn with. The Buca GD gets rave reviews here and is the right way to get started on a budget.

Buy a decent one to begin with and if you don't like it, you can get most of your money back. There is a palmer house on sale now on bst for a good price & it a very good razor. Guy had 6 straights for sale. Palmer has not sold for 35 bucks yet. He was the top listing a few minutes ago. I got one from the palmer house when I was there in 02. These were made for the shop in the hotel in the 30s.

Top Bottom