What's new

Treet Durasharp synergy

Just did 2 days in a row with Treet Classic, not at all like the Black which gave a great shave, before the end of my 2nd shave with Treet Classic face was tore up, probably even a worst shave than Derby (YMMV)! Onto Treet Plat tomorrow...

FWIW, I went with a Treet DS Carbon in a Fat Handle Tech tonight and it bit me hard. Got 6 or 7 weepers which is very much out of character.

I noticed that the inner rapper was folded incorrectly and I wondered whether the blade was damaged. I was tempted to chuck the blade away on that basis, but I went ahead with the shave.

It was a comfortable shave but weeper central. If any other blades in the pack are rapped wrong, I won't shave with them.

This morning I was a bad shave tester and let my impatience rule over my well ordered testing regimen... I loaded a "New Steel" in my Red tip Flare and shaved with that combo. The New Steel seems to be very smooth, but lacking in sharpness compared to the carbon steel blades (especially the DS), that's not to say that it didn't give a decent DFS- shave, with no irritation, but the ATG sections were not anywhere near as easy to get through as with sharper blades and the final result was not as close despite extra touch-up time spent as compared with a Durasharp shave in the same razor.

I may try this blade in the Slim Adjustable next to see if different blade exposure gives a better result.

It's looking like a purchase of 100 or more Durasharps is coming soon, unless the Silvers knock my socks off.

My experience was just the inverse: loved the "Black Beauty" and the Durasharp was somewhat "tuggy". Treet Classic was even worse for me. Go figure.

I wonder if all of this is just batch variation, or if there really are major differences between the edge finish and coating on the various Treet Carbon steel blades?

Of course things are complicated by different razors and different faces, as well as opinions being very subjective...

another decent shave from the BB, but still not up to the results I get with Durasharps... another batch of DS are on their way though, so soon I'll be able to compare results of Durasharps from different batches. In the meantime a Silver will be up tomorrow morning, in the red flare tip.

Just did 2 days in a row with Treet Classic, not at all like the Black which gave a great shave, before the end of my 2nd shave with Treet Classic face was tore up, probably even a worst shave than Derby (YMMV)! Onto Treet Plat tomorrow...

While I have seen the Classic somewhere (maybe that Turkish site??) I have never laid hands on one... the "regular" Treet Platinums though, have been a big disappointment for me, similar harshness to an Israeli red, but not as sharp :p

Got a set of Black Beauties, Classics and Durasharps from the Great Blade Exchange. This morning was my first shave with the BBs. My normal ride is an ATT R1 with a Feathers blade. I shave daily and I have a heavy beard and sensitive skin. I do a single pass with a little buffing. No need for additional passes with the R1/Feathers combo.

I have always found the Feathers to be a very quiet blade. I assume that is because it is dangerously sharp. My first impression with the BB is that it is a very loud blade. I could hear the hairs being mowed down, one by one. With that came a little pulling, but nothing too terrible. As I finished my first pass, I was pleasantly surprised. I needed to do more buffing than usual, but I ended up with a perfectly smooth shave. NO nicks, weepers, cuts or anything.

Will the Black Beauties replace my Feathers? NO. The sharpness of the Feathers is unbeatable. But, even after all of this time, if I am not careful, the Feathers will take a chunk of skin as payback for sloppy technique. The BB (like the Voskhod, maybe??) is a great blade if you are in a hurry. Very forgiving. Great, easy shave.

Tomorrow: The Durasharp.

Last edited:
OK, so the Silver is the best of the batch, perhaps identical to the Durasharp... a few more shaves on the Silver and a shave off between it and a Durasharp are in order to settle this question. The result of this mornings shave was DFS+ in 2 passes with comfortable ATG on the neck and chin, a solid upgrade from the results I got from the BB and "New Steel" blades.

Last edited:
One of the great treats about this hobby of ours is the occasional big surprise. I ordered a few Treet blades from the Great Blade Exchange on a lark. Over the years I had settled on Feathers and Polsilvers as my preferred blades. When I was in a real hurry, I would use a Voskhod because it was smooth and easy and fast. I put in my order for the Treets because I had never tried any carbon blades. My expectations were low(could a blade from Pakistan displace the mighty Japanese Feathers?!?!).

Yesterday I shaved with a Black Beauty. It was OK. Nice enough shave. A little pulling on my steel wool, gray beard. No harm, no foul.
Today I switched to the Durasharp and to my great surprise, I had a terrific shave. Smooth, Easy, Sharp. The smoothness of the shave with the Durasharp reminded me of the Voskhod (could there really be magic in the teflon coating??) - except that the Durasharp felt sharper than the Voskhod.

I cannot wait to shave again tomorrow. What a Treet!

The second shave on a Silver confirms that it's as smooth and sharp as a Durasharp (or if not, just the tiniest margin less so). Next I'll have to use a BB in the red tip flare so it's a complete apples to apples comparison, but so far the Silver seems to be the outperformer in this set.

another great shave from the Silver, this blade still feels like a DS clone, the third shave was every bit as good as the first two.

at 15 cents cost, this blade will get trashed after shave four whether is has a fifth in it or not... I'm glad these are working out, since it gives me a (semi-valid) reason to re-order from Italian Barber!

OK, it's perspective time... The silver seems to only have three solid shaves in it, starting off the fourth was still not as tuggy as a fresh "New steel", but was not at all up to expectation. I switched to a Durasharp that has at least three shaves on it and had been sitting for at least a week in my gold Rocket, the difference in both smoothness and sharpness wasn't subtle! I think that unless my new batch of Durasharps (on the way from Connaught) is much different from the ones I still have on hand, I will pretty much be using them exclusively, at least in Super Speed based razors.

In the spirit of fairness and full exploration, tomorrows shave is a fresh BB in the red tip flare.

Last edited:
hmm... this mornings shave was supposed to be a BB, as I shaved I was impressed by how badly I misread the BB in my first few shaves with one; this was so smooth and the ATG cut felt effortless! Then I rinsed the razor and took note that the edges were most certainly *not* black. Turns out that you probably shouldn't load razors late at night, at least not if you want an accurate memory of which blade is in what razor! So, chock up another win for the Durasharp, this one has four or more shaves on it now and is still performing rather nicely (DFS+ in two passes).

Maybe tomorrow I'll manage to get that BB shave ;)

Yesterday I shaved with a Durasharp.

This morning I shaved with my trusty Feather.

It made for a very interesting comparison. The Feather is without a doubt a sharper blade. I could feel that I was getting a closer shave; and I could feel that if I weren't careful the Feather would make me pay with flesh. The Feather was smooth but not forgiving. The Durasharp made for a very interesting comparison. It was only slightly less sharp than the Feather, but smoother and far more forgiving. For lack of a better metaphor think of it this way: The Feather is a sports car with so much horsepower that a careless driver can to get into big trouble. The Durasharp, on the other hand, is a sports car that is more stable. It still goes fast, but it is much more user friendly.

I could easily live with the Durasharp as my daily blade. I would not say that about many well regarded blades including the Personna Med Prep; the GSB and the Gillette 7 o'Clock Yellow. It is most definitely worth a try.

Anyone have a good source for the Durasharps? Unless I missed it, Italian Barber carries every blade discussed here except for the Durasharps. I'm waiting on some BB to try but haven't found a similarly priced deal on Durasharps.

I get my Durasharps from Connaught shaving in the UK, they have an interesting selection of good stuff and fair/fast shipping to the US.

First Durasharp shave this morning in a Red Super Speed with Palmolive Cream...

First pass WTG was moderately smooth with just a hint of tugging. Nothing unpleasant. Very loud feedback from the blade. No irritation. The amount of hair removed was a notch below Feather or Polsilver. The first pass reminded me of an Astra.

Second pass XTG was very smooth with no irritation. Blade is very easy to work with no tendency to bite back, even on upper lip. Close to DFS at end of two passes. Third pass ATG was very smooth with no tugging, nicks or weepers. Easy to work around jaw and chin. Good ATG performance on lower neck, which is my trouble spot. Close with no irritation.

Final result was a DFS that was close, but not quite BBS. I rarely get BBS with a Red Super Speed, so no surprises. I would rate the sharpness of the blade as just a bit less sharp than Polsilver, but smoother. Sharper than Astra with similar smoothness. One of the smoothest blades I've used and I've used a bunch...

Smooth - 5 out of 5
Sharp - 4 out of 5
Irritation - 5 out of 5

Very good first shave experience.

For approx 1/3 the price of Feathers, I figured what the heck and ordered 100 already from connaughtshaving.com.

Last edited:

First pass WTG was moderately smooth with just a hint of tugging. Nothing unpleasant. Very loud feedback from the blade. No irritation. The amount of hair removed was a notch below Feather or Polsilver. The first pass reminded me of an Astra.

Second pass XTG was very smooth with no irritation. Blade is very easy to work with no tendency to bite back, even on upper lip. Close to DFS at end of two passes. Third pass ATG was very smooth with no tugging, nicks or weepers. Easy to work around jaw and chin. Good ATG performance on lower neck, which is my trouble spot. Close with no irritation.

Final result was a DFS that was close, but not quite BBS. I rarely get BBS with a Red Super Speed, so no surprises. I would rate the sharpness of the blade as just a bit less sharp than Polsilver, but smoother. Sharper than Astra with similar smoothness. One of the smoothest blades I've used and I've used a bunch...

Smooth - 5 out of 5
Sharp - 4 out of 5
Irritation - 5 out of 5

For approx 1/3 the price of Feathers, I figured what the heck and ordered 100 already from connaughtshaving.com.

+1

I have tried on several posts to describe the qualities of the Durasharp. bHarvery, you described it perfectly.

Thanks rodmonster. I actully decided to buy a few after reading about your experience with them. Impressive blade - particularly when you consider the price.

Smooth - 5 out of 5
Sharp - 4 out of 5
Irritation - 5 out of 5

I would say that your summary of DS characteristics is in almost perfect accord with my experience. My feeling is that most of the "sharpest" blades are at least a little bit more aggressive feeling on the face, so in the balance a blade like a Feather has to shave closer in fewer passes to balance out against a blade like the Durasharp which is forgiving enough to allow plenty of blade buffing to attain the desired closeness. Guys who seek BBS on every shave will probably prefer the uber-sharp blades, but for me a solid DFS with no irritation and just two passes plus touch-up trumps the potential for *absolute* closeness by a big margin. So blades like Astra SP, Personna Barber/blue and Treet Durasharp are my favorites, since they give both very adequate closeness *and* great comfort. After all, I want to enjoy my shaves more than I want bragging rights for having BBS++ closeness!

Top Bottom