What's new

Treet Durasharp synergy

I recently decided to use some of my also-ran blades for variety and to that end loaded a Treet Durasharp carbon blade into my Red handle flare... The results are awesome! I am getting DFS+ in 2 passes with no irritation and the shaves remain quite smooth even well into the late afternoon. My "new" English SS/Rocket delivers the same performance or maybe a tiny bit better.

Previous to this combo, I had thought of this blade as a competent mid level performer that had decent smoothness and slightly above average sharpness, but really nothing special, using them in the Super Speed has changed all that!

The Treet DuraSharp blades are very sharp and are excellent shavers. I thought about picking some up after my first shave. The negative is that they last one really good shave for me. Mid way through the second shave they start to break down fast and no longer are the same excellent blade that gave me the great first shave. Since I only get one good shave from them they are no longer such a great value anymore.

Another negative for some people is that since these are carbon they will rust in your razor if you don't remove and completely dry everything off after your shave. I do this every shave anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Interesting, I get three or four shaves from a Durasharp, about the same as most "regular" blades. The issue of rust has never come up, even if a blade has been in an occasional rotation razor for a few weeks (and I usually just shake the razor off after a good rinse, no careful drying). The worst I have seen is a hint of orange on the blade... never transferred to the razor.

Where do you get the black version of the Treet carbon blades?

I just test ran the Black Beauty earlier in the week, excellent for 2 shaves then the rust sets in, just on the center hole. A great 2 shave for a low price, still economical at this point :thumbup1:

In my experience, the Treet carbon blades are like shaving with a piece of broken glass in a modern 2 or 3 piece razor. But put them into a vintage Gillette TTO and it's smooth as silk, a truly excellent experience. I have no idea why it is so.

Italianbarber.com has them for a steal. I just ordered 1000 of the Black Beauties. I love the way they shave.

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered 20 each of the black, silver and "new steel" styles to see how the other Treet carbon blades compare to durasharps.

so, while I wait for my assorted Treet blades to arrive, what are your opinions of the Durasharp vs. Black vs. Silver? (This sort of discussion is like methadone for the treatment of Blade Acquisition Disorder withdrawal)

And has anyone tried the "New Steel"? I love the description on Treet's web site:

"It is a blade produced with the combination of steel and special coating. The natural flexibility of steel provides agility to the blade to adjust according to the curves and bends of the face, while at the same time, special coating ensures its sharpness."

...'cause all those other blades aren't steel and don't have a coating, right?!? not to mention the fact that all the DE razors I have ever seen hold the blade in a rigid fashion, so that it *can't* flex, which is one of the reasons so many of us like DE better than multi-blade carts.

Last edited:
Durasharp and the BB are great for me, but the Durasharp seems harder to find. I tried the New Steel for a few shaves (one blade only), and to me, it was just a hair lower in comfort/performance under the DS and BB. Haven't tried any other Treet blades.
The descriptions on Treets website are just a mish-mash of generic advertising jibberish to me. No real info on what the blades are made of, coatings, etc.

I get my Durasharps at Connaught shaving, they have a pretty good selection of stuff, some of which is a bit harder to find in the US (they are a UK shop), are quick to ship and fairly priced.

Back in the beginning of my DE shaving journey (about a year ago), I got my very first excellent shave with a Treet DuraSharp blade. In fact, I got to excellent shaves in a row with them. Since that time, I have settled on Voskhod as my go-to blade, and have only bought Voskhods in bulk. However, I still have a few Treets in the medicine cabinet, and I pop one in every couple of months. FWIW, I use a Merkur 34c.

Here is my impression of Treet DuraSharp blades: They give a very close shave with very little irritation...if you pay attention to what you're doing. If you're not paying attention, they can bite your skin. I've even had scratches from the corner of the blade, which I've never experienced with any other brand (and I've used Voskhod, Gillette green box, Lord platinum, and PolSilver).

As for durability and rust... I only fully trust them to one use; if I choose to use them a second time, I pay very close attention to how my face is feeling. I've only had them start to feel abrasive once, but I think I've only actually used seven of them, so I guess it's worth watching out for. I always blot my blades dry after use, but it's especially important with Treet DuraSharp if you're planning to use them again later. Once or twice, I've noticed discoloration after only two uses, and they definitely rust more quickly in my discard pile than other brands.

...Treets website are just a mish-mash of generic advertising jibberish to me.

I agree, the product info is limited to a picture and a few uninformative words, however their shaving help section is pretty decent, if you had little or no experience wet shaving it would certainly help you get a good start.

Blades arrived today, tomorrow morning will be a black finish carbon blade in the Brit Super Speed, once that has run its course I'll have to try a "new steel" the cheesy description has me intrigued ;)

First shave with a Black Carbon Treet, seems a bit off the standard set by the Durasharp, still an very decent blade, especially when cost is factored in, but I'd have to say the Durasharps I have used are both smoother and sharper. We'll see what shave #2 is like tomorrow... though Durasharps don't seem to suffer from SSBS (Second Shave is Best Syndrome) like many blades do.

It almost looks like the Black blade is a bit shorter across (edge to edge), which would alter the blade exposure slightly to the more aggressive side, though that still wouldn't explain the slight deficiency in ATG closeness.

If multiple blades in this batch shave like this one (and if this blade keeps shaving like it did this morning) I will probably wind up PIFing these around to my shaving friends :(

And the suspense is still killing me, it'll be *days* before I get a legitimate reason to try a silver and a new steel!

First shave with a Black Carbon Treet, seems a bit off the standard set by the Durasharp, still an very decent blade, especially when cost is factored in, but I'd have to say the Durasharps I have used are both smoother and sharper...

My experience was just the inverse: loved the "Black Beauty" and the Durasharp was somewhat "tuggy". Treet Classic was even worse for me. Go figure.

Top Bottom