What's new

I hate tracking.

...there are benefits, like being able to call Customer 'service' and ask why your 'priority'(cough) package just spent the last 48 hours, traveling 1000 miles in the opposite direction.

Here's something to really hate: FedEx "Smart post". Nothing smart about something taking twice as long to be delivered by two separate carriers for more money.

If you shop with someone who offers Smart post, don't use that shipping method. I like USPS Priority.

Frank

I like when the package doesn't show as having been received at the local PO, no activity at all for a day or so, then suddenly appears 'out for delivery' at the destination. How that happens, God only knows.

Oh, some of the joys of tracking (for reference I live near NYC)

1. had a package coming from Allentown PA arrive via some small town in Missouri.

2. had two separate packages mailed on two separate dates from San Antonio come via Philly, then Boston, then Nashua, NH.

3. package still in transit from Austin, TX wasn't shipped until a week after the mailing label was created. Seemed to sit in Dallas for two days until I received a tracking e-mail two days after the fact indicating that it had left Dallas an hour after it arrived.

All brought to you by USPS. As the OP implies, we were probably better off in our ignorance before tracking became available. Now I've learned to take the foibles of the shipping companies with a dose of humor. As long as the item arrives in reasonable time and intact, I'm usually okay.

I like when the package doesn't show as having been received at the local PO, no activity at all for a day or so, then suddenly appears 'out for delivery' at the destination. How that happens, God only knows.

Yup, had that happen more times than I care to remember. Better yet, a couple of weeks ago, had a package with a USPS tracking number show no tracking info at all, just showed up one day.

I'm sure I have it worse than some in this regard. I'm near the end of the postal route, so our mail usually doesn't show up until 5-6pm. Several times now, a package has shown "out for delivery", but the package (and any other mail) never shows. Later, the tracking will be updated with "notice left". But, no notice is ever left, and the packages aren't ones that required a signature. The next day the package is dropped off at my door. I'm certain that it just gets late enough that the postman just gives up for the day.

Really not cool when I'm excited to come home and open a box of goodies only to find out they didn't feel like delivering it that day. :(

tracking numbers. pissing customers off one number at a time. guarantee packages goes opposite directions before destination!

proxy.php

I use package tracker pro on my phone. Every time there is a scan of the package I get an alert on my phone. Makes me less crazy visiting ups, fedex, lasership sites all day tracking my packages. This way it wakes me up at 11pm with a notification ;)

I'm sure I have it worse than some in this regard. I'm near the end of the postal route, so our mail usually doesn't show up until 5-6pm. Several times now, a package has shown "out for delivery", but the package (and any other mail) never shows. Later, the tracking will be updated with "notice left". But, no notice is ever left, and the packages aren't ones that required a signature. The next day the package is dropped off at my door. I'm certain that it just gets late enough that the postman just gives up for the day.

Really not cool when I'm excited to come home and open a box of goodies only to find out they didn't feel like delivering it that day. :(

Experienced a variation on the same theme. Discovered that, for whatever reason, packages were scanned for delivery bit never made it to the carrier's truck, so they cover their tracks with a "notice left" scan. Apparently this happens frequently in my local PO. Does the USPS do anything about it? Question asked and answered

You can sign up for text alerts on usps.com. It will send you a text every time it gets scanned.

I sold a razor a while back and iit was suppose to be going to Iowa and it went out for delivery in Nebraska. Thankfully layer on that day it it left that PO and continued on to it's original destination. First time I have ever had that happen and I hope it's the last.

Just experienced this at work with an overnight shipment of IV tubing. Supply said they ordered it overnight two weeks ago. Just showed up today even though tracking said it got there 48 hours after it was ordered. Not sure if it was UPS or the guys in our warehouse.

Does anyone understand USPS continental tracking now? It seems you pay them $1.05 for literally nothing. They still track packages you don't buy it on. You still get the code. It still works online. I really can't figure out what that $1.05 buys you other than the ability to say you paid for tracking.

International on the other hand, they refuse to track unless you pay them $15 extra.

Hmm, I haven't had that experience. First class mail without tracking had a payment label put on the package, but there was no code for tracking that I noticed on the receipt. Priority mail I believe it is included in the price, so you don't have to buy it as an add-on.

Most people here are too young to remember that there used to be a different fee for "airmail" and "standard ground" mail. Presumably, the extra fee for "airmail" meant that your letter was going to arrive faster than if it had been sent by pony express. As I recall, in 1975 or so, a member of Congress sent hundreds of letters from his home state to Washington DC- half by "standard ground" and half by "airmail." Their arrival in Washington was totally random. The extra fee for "airmail" was a hoax. In fact, the service was horrible by both shipping methods.

I know it is hard to believe but, as frustrating as it is at times, it really is much better today than it was a generation ago.

I think this is my issue, usually here next day from shipper, still only showing pre shipping info, not even showing received by USPS at his end.

Top Bottom