What's new

Just got some Clubman Bay Rum and Classic Vanilla

I just got the bottle of Clubman bay rum and classic vanilla I ordered.

As far as the bay rum goes I have to keep reminding myself that Clubman has a way of making bad first impressions and then growing on you. It has a cloying spice at first then it cools off, but becomes almost a powdery musk. Like the spice turns into skin bracer. My girlfriend said she didn't hate it, but she also said that I smelled like a nursing home.

The classic vanilla perplexed me. I loved every bit of it, and my girlfriend said she liked it. It was like a fresher and slightly less "floral" (maybe) version of regular clubman with a hint of that sweet tonka flavor. I like this one a lot, so far.

I think I should've gotten the 12oz of the vanilla and the "sample" (6oz) of the bay rum.

So I threw on some of the vanilla this morning after shaving and I've decided that it'll be my "I'm going to wear cologne too" aftershaves.

The scent was very light, too light to even be noticeable. All I really got was the scent of the alcohol.

Glad the Clubman is working for you. Remember to wear whatever SWMBO likes!
That is until I get off the morning shift and get back on the mid-shift when school starts back up. Then I can wear whatever I want most days.

I'm curious what the ladies here will think about me switching it up when "swmbo" is already at work when I'm getting ready to go.[emoji12]

I have, what I think are, all the Pinaud scents. I like all the ones I tried but a couple take some getting used to. IMHO the Bay Rum is one of those.
. $Pinaud_2.jpg

So I found out what Aramis smells like yesterday... I don't like it at all. It was a little too feral, offensive, and dated; like 1970s Burt Reynolds naked on a bearskin rug wherever I sprayed it.

To me it had a "Stetson-y" flowery cat pee smell, but a lot spicier than Stetson.

I tried some 4711 on too. I liked it, and my girlfriend did too (after the dry down).

It reminded me of the freshness of the English Leather I used to have about 12 years ago without the animalic qualities.

I like both of those things, but I don't know about whether my body chemistry would.

I think I'm going to pick up some Royal Copenhagen after work. I opened a bottle last night and thought it smelled pretty good and my body seems to take well to scents like that. I've read it's a woody oriental and my absolute favorite cologne is Armani Code, which is also a woody oriental.

Give the SR a shot. A lot of folks enjoy it. It's a "better version" of Aramis. I don't like Aramis either.

Last edited:
So what's everybody's opinion on the special reserve? What does it smell like?
?

Can't describe it, earthy? maybe... To me it's one of those that kinda grows on you. When I first used it, I wasn't that impressed, but it grew on me. The number one reason I like it is because the wife loves it. It's almost like an aphrodisiac, she really, really likes it. Must be on to something here, because my other Clubman AS (original & vanilla) are in second and third place on her list. Hmmm... maybe we need more research on their ingredients. All my Clubmans feel good and last long, so they are great bargains, just some other scents I like better. But when the goal is to impress my better half, for obvious reasons, I'll go with the SR...just sayin

Top Bottom