What's new

My First Shave

Earlier today I decided to finally use the tools I've gotten over a month ago for wet shaving.

Since I've been used to cartridge razors ever since I started shaving at the age of 14 (now 37) I knew I had to unlearn some things and learn new ones. That is why I took a month to read and watch the techniques of proper wet shaving.

I decided to make this work after going to a big box store to buy some replacement cartridges for my go to razor for the past 5 years (Schick Hydro 5) only to get mad at the price for 4 refills which costs $14.99! I picked them up but then put them down when I remembered the safety razor advertised on TV. I figured with the cost of this new razor with 12 blades being just $19.99 I figured I couldn't go wrong and I felt better purchasing this over those 4 over priced refills.

A couple months back my wife found some Van Der shave soap on sale 2 for $5 from a popular drugstore. I went online and found a shave brush, bowl, and soap by Van Der for $8.99.

Fast forward to today and I finally gave wet shaving a try and while I didn't do to we'll making the lather like I wanted to I did still have some Gillette shave gel on had to help until the next time I shave.
The shaving portion of my experience was nice, relaxing, rewarding, and very pleasant. I felt so good and proud when I was finished that I had to talk about it to my mom and wife. I cannot wait till I have to shave again because now I don't see shaving as a chore but rather a enjoyable past time.

I even spent some time tonight researching my next razor and brush.

help until the next time I shave.
The shaving portion of my experience was nice, relaxing, rewarding, and very pleasant. I felt so good and proud when I was finished that I had to talk about it to my mom and wife. I cannot wait till I have to shave again because now I don't see shaving as a chore but rather a enjoyable past time.

I even spent some time tonight researching my next razor and brush.

You're hooked as everybody here ! And it will get better and better ...enjoy your shaves

Great to have you here Blakbeard, this is a good place to be with a lot of good info as you already know.

As for the lathering take your time with it and as already stated use enough water with it.. that will help.

For a good basic cream you should check out the Proraso products, they are GREAT performers and easy on the wallet.

All the best,

John H.

There is no law against practicing making lather.
It is well worth sacrificing a little soap learning to make a good lather than shaving with an unprotective psuedo-lather.

Welcome to the madness!

It is well worth sacrificing a little soap learning to make a good lather than shaving with an unprotective psuedo-lather.

Welcome to the madness!

+1

I used up a little bit of cream learning the lather thing...well worth it!

Hello and welcome to B&B, Blakbeard. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Glad you wandered in. Step on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Thanks guys. I will master the art of making lather soon. I'm so used to the goop in a can that making to make my own is a new experience.
I'll look into a cream as a back up to my soap. Since I have three cakes of soap I have plenty to practice with.

Welcome to the madness!

+1 to this. I've been wet shaving for 8 years, and using DE for 3 years. I still do practice lathers almost daily to keep up my technique. I find making the lather in my palm the best way to get tactile feedback on how dense/creamy the lather is getting, and I don't stop lathering until it's perfect. I still do it today. For shaving, I normally face lather, but the practice has really helped and I now get epic lathers. A luxurious lather is a big par of the shave for me. Keep practising, and you'll get you lathers "dialled in".

Welcome to the fraternity. It will get better and better. You had better start preparing yourself for the Acquisition Disorders (ADs)!

Welcome aboard! No shame in practicing. I practiced making lather after my first shave since it didn't have the "peaks", etc. that I had seen on some youtube videos. Try a shaving cream, it will lather better. I recommend TOBS (Taylor of Old Bond Street), it's a great shaving cream and lathers very nice (and smells nice too). They have many varieties.

Top Bottom