What's new

Low Profile, High Quality

Thought we might discuss those hidden gems which deliver fantastic shaves but somehow maintain a low profile in the wet shaving community.

My vote would be for Pollena Lider Classic. I don't use it as often as I should yet when I do it never fails to facilitate a fantastic shave. Smells great, shaves exceedingly well and really cannot be any cheaper. IMHO, this cream ranks among the very best. Pollena Lider runs with the big dogs.

What are your favorites?

Mole.

But it's brushless (not just in name - you actually cannot use a brush) and it smells a bit off.

Still it's the smoothest, easiest shave base out there IMO.

Kappus Shaving Cream.

I first ran into this stuff in New Zealand (in the Glen Eden Pharmacy across the street from Glen Eden train station, for any Auklanders out there)
and have more recently found it in the Dominion Supermarket chain here in Toronto.

It smells like aloe vera, and lathers really well; at $2.50 for a 75ml tube, it's a great buy.

Graham

Where can we buy this? What is the scent?

Thanks!

Not sure how to describe the scent other than citrusy...lemon/lime-ish. The only place I have found it is from the ebay seller open_razor (wojtec76 here and at SRP). Four tubes are something like $15.00 shipped from Poland. Gets here pretty quick too.

What got you interested in Polish shaving creams (Pollena and WARS)?

The review of Pollena Lider. Back when I was a still wet-behind-the-ears newb, I ordered some from open_razor. I figured that it was so inexpensive, why not. It got here quickly and included an unrequested tube of WARS. Both shaved so well that I was hooked.

Tom's of Maine Mint. Great stuff. Somehow I keep forgetting I have it, then I remember, dig it out, whip it up, and wonder why I don't use it more often.

Professor Henry, I'm in agreement about the WARS --it performs well beyond its price point. There are others, but one standout IMO is the Arko Commando which I consider excellent and has been a pleasant surprise.

I'm going to have to try the Pollena Lider Classic you mention.

-- John Gehman

Professor Henry, I'm in agreement about the WARS --it performs well beyond its price point. There are others, but one standout IMO is the Arko Commando which I consider excellent and has been a pleasant surprise.

I'm going to have to try the Pollena Lider Classic you mention.

-- John Gehman

Brother John - If you like WARS, you will like Pollena Lider. Similar performance, very pleasant scent.

Is Proraso Green low profile enough for this thread? I really like it. I've been thinking about trying one of the Arko creams.

Another vote for J.M. Frasers here. Plus, an honorable mention for the KMF range of shaving creams. Two very different products that deliver in performance and price.

I just tried J.M. Frasers shave cream this morning. It shaved well. I got good lather out of it, did a good job on my face.

But, it smell's like Pin Sol to me. You know the cleaner. I'm not sure if I should keep it as a back up or just get rid of it. :frown:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Florena.

It shaves a lot better than KMF ... I've tried both ... and no one seems to mention it here. I seem to recall that its distribution in the US is pretty minimal, so that may account for it.

Top Bottom