What's new

Scent of the Sea

Researching fragrances in the ocean categories-has any one tried these?

Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Quercia Marina

Davidhoff Cool Water Into the Ocean

Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme Marine

It seems the missing ingredient, in others, at least in the scent that does not come through, is the right blend of salt and seaweed. There seems to be an overabundance of citrus or melon, which then burns off to leave an excessive powdery or musk essence.

Bvlgari Aqva Marine is my go to summer scent. It opens with a blast of citrus that is quickly followed by salt and seaweed. I find the salt and seaweed to be predominate with a bit of a woodsy scent developing in the dry-down. I don't get any musk or powder.

I prefer Aqva Marine's versatility, but if you're really looking for the scent of the sea I would say go with the original Bvlgari Aqva. Marine smells like the shallow waters just off shore. Aqva smells like the deep ocean.

I remember Cool Water, although I only used Cool Water for a month until I realized everyone in school was wearing it so I didnt feel unique. Its a very popular scent still. It was a very aquatic and fresh scent though. I remember a teacher had just asked me if I took a shower before class because I smelled clean.

You seem to be liking what I think of as "aquatics," perhaps epitomized by Cool Water. You might try Creed Silver Mountain Water for a similar vein.

Another sea water direction would be Annick Goutal Vetyver (sp?) which has a great iodine note.

Other beach smells, IA Falling Into the Sea, which is sort of Coppertone from the 1960s, and I really like it.

Thanks for the suggestions, Rob. The Annick Goutal Vetiver is a bit of a departure but very intriguing. One I will assuredly explore.
From their website:

Vétiver, a tonic essence that plays on contrasts.
This composition, inspired by the perfume Vétiver, owes its origins to the iodized sea spray of the Ile de Ré, which painted the backdrop to Camille Goutal's childhood holidays.
A perfect creation on the theme of the vetiver, one of the most beautiful woody notes, explored here in its freshest and finest facets...

The scent opens with the zesty freshness of Sicilian lemon to divulge its dominante note - that of the woody, spicy Java vetiver contrasting sharply with the mellow, voluptuous and coppery nuances of the Haitian vetiver, peppered with rosemary and sage. Florentine iris adds a majestic nuance.
In this Cologne version, the accord is a fresher (lemon) and spicier (Haitian vetiver), and then softened by the iris.

http://m.annickgoutal.com/en/perfume/mobile/m-the-colognes/P-vetiver-cologne.html

Acqua di Sale by Profumum Roma

proxy.php

Creed Erolfa (doesn't last long though), Baldessarini Del Mar, and Nautilus Aqua are my favourite oceanic scents.
For something a bit different I like Givenchy Insense Ultramarine and Kenzo Homme (smells a bit like seaweed).
Regards,
Renato

I think Creed Erolfa would fit the bill. It's one of Creed's more underrated scents, in my view. The problem is that they've raised their prices to such an absurd level that it's hard to justify a purchase, at least for me.

Avoid the "aquatic" genre at all costs.

No reason to do this, there are many, including many listed here, that are great examples of an aquatic that also have some lasting power. Maybe not all day, but then simply reapply. Creed Erolfa is my fav, and what I consider a staple in my wardrobe.

I would suggest

-Kenzo pour homme (one of the first scent to inspire ocean and sea) before the invasion of ozonic me too products

Just MHO

I would suggest

-Kenzo pour homme (one of the first scent to inspire ocean and sea) before the invasion of ozonic me too products

Just MHO

I'm going to check that out at Sephora this weekend. Strong initially and long lasting is what I'm seeing. (???)

Bvlgari Aqua original is my favorite summer fragrance. It seems to be something you might like too. I sampled it, along with the Marine version, at the local Ulta and found I liked the original much better.

I see from your other posts that you are familiar with Bryan Ross's blog, frompyrgos, and he can explain scents better than I can ever hope to. You might want to take a look at his descriptions and see how they sound to you.

truefitt and hill describes their 'freshman' as 'marine'.
meh, perhaps.
nevertheless, a nice, comfortable cologne.
i use it more like an aftershave.

$yeti shore leave freshman sheraton feb 22 2014.jpg

No reason to do this, there are many, including many listed here, that are great examples of an aquatic that also have some lasting power. Maybe not all day, but then simply reapply. Creed Erolfa is my fav, and what I consider a staple in my wardrobe.

My comment was not in reference to lasting power, but to 99.999% of generic garbage that falls under the genre heading. Calone is the primary chemical used.

There are much better emotive fragrances that capture the essence of the ocean, none of which derive from the "aquatic" genre.

Top Bottom