What's new

First Ever Straight Shave Today!

I recently purchased a sight unseen razor from Larry at Whipped Dog. Today I finally had a chance to use it (or get up the nerve!) I'm happy to report that it went well with no bloodletting whatsoever. In fact, no razor burn either. That is more than I can say for my first DE shave, but then again, I have learned the no pressure lesson the hard way already.

i skipped the chin and mustache area while I was ahead. Little by little I think I might become a full time straight razor shaver.

i do have the styptic pencil at the ready for when the inevitable happens though!

Nice job. There is something tremendously satisfying about getting through that first shave and not killing yourself.

Congrats on your first successful straight edge shave! It sounds like you did very well indeed. I hope I do as well as you when I start with a straight edge razor.

Congrats! Keep it up, it really only gets better with practice. I had to use the styptic for the first time today. [emoji29]

Very Nice job! Just had my first attempt today and... Well, we'll just leave it as I've got some catching up to do compared to you :)

Ok, I'm right there with you. Just received my sight-unseen 5/8 beauty from Larry today. A very nice birthday present from my wife! I don't know where this razor came from, but I'm posting a few pics. Looks like it could be Joseph Rodgers & Sons, but that's because of the box only. The razor has only the words "Extra Hollow Ground" on the blade, and "Warranted Made in Sheffield" on the shank. Can't wait to try it in the morning!! $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409015449.530701.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409015464.812834.jpg

You are 90% there. The learning curve accelerates from here.

Remember to keep the razor flat on your strop and keep it light. You don't have to stretch the strop tight, just keep everything light. 30 to 50 laps. One lap = there and back.

Top Bottom