What's new

Gillette Subscription

Has anyone else seen the Gillette subscription ads? They claim that shaving with a fusion only costs $1/week, which means you have to use a cartridge for a month. They aren't that good; I know because I tried.

The fact that they are going to a subscription model makes me wonder how much dollar shave club has hurt them. Also, with more traditional shaving products showing up in stores again, maybe Gillette has passed the limit on what people are willing to pay.

it's all advertising bs. these companies sue each other because their ads and slogans boast the "best" or "closest" shave. then they come out with a "better" one and charge even more. we jump on it because we are always looking for something better right?

Getting a month worth of shaving is different than a month of good shaves. Some here have posted of getting a lot of shaves on one blade and if it's four weeks then that's good for them, but just like DE's and SE's were the number of shaves a person can get can vary widely one person's 20th shave on a blade (assume 5 shaves per week) might be passable, but another person's 20th shave might be scrapping a rusty tin can lid over their face.

I guess they need to put the YMMV disclaimer on it!

I looked up the Dollar club the other day. Several guys I work with are members and like it. I was curious if they offered DE blades, they don't. But then again, it is cheaper for me to purchase my own in bulk. It is a great business model and I have not heard any negatives.

DE is always going to be cheaper. There are many bulk purchases of DE blades available which are cheaper than any Fusion options. On the plus side, the DE gives a finish no cartridge can achieve. Aside from the initial capital cost, the DE option will always be cheaper in the long run.

I looked up the Dollar club the other day. Several guys I work with are members and like it. I was curious if they offered DE blades, they don't. But then again, it is cheaper for me to purchase my own in bulk. It is a great business model and I have not heard any negatives.

And ultimately, it was my initial investigation into Dollar Shave Club that led me to wet shaving :)

I heard that ad just this past weekend for the first time. Had not done the math. A little misleading at best to promote it as $1per week. It will be interesting to see how effective this is vs. the existing mail-order clubs.

I've seen the ad online while researching cheaper cartridge blades. I also read and saw the ad for Dollar Shave Club. In the end I'm glad I tried wet shaving instead of going with cartridge blades like I have been for so many years.

Plus my wife commented how smooth my face felt and that was 13 hours exactly after my first wet shave. :)

I know from using the Sensor for a long time that I can get anywhere from 6 - 10 shaves, but as said earlier about the Fusion, that only includes 2 or maybe 3 comfortable shaves. In all honesty, no matter how you try to take care of them or 'sharpen' them, they need to be 2 and toss like I do with blades now.

They are admitting by that advert the cost is very high but try to deflect that. Times are hard and rather than cut prices they focus on usage. They don't mention how many passes or type of hair shaved - teenage or pensioner have differing hair qualities.

Unless the extra two blades and whatever other "improvements" made to the cartridges since I last shaved with them like 10 years ago (Mach 3 something or other) have been able to exponentially increase the life of the cartridge, I just don't see it. I used to get maybe 5 days max out of a Mach 3 before I decided it was tugging too much and changed it out. I don't even think I have a particularly coarse beard either and it's definitely not super tightly packed with hair either.

When I was shaving with Mach 3's I got 4 shaves max from each cart. Since the shaving experience was so horrible each and every time I was only shaving 2 times a week. I wouldn't shave with any plastic cart again even if the were giving them away for free.

Last edited:
Just thinking about the clogging makes me shudder.

Oh I remember those days of long ago, clogged razor ripping hair shaves got to make that blade last more more day.
electric vibrator chewing my face.

long gone passed away love that feather on my face.

I paused the TV last night to read the fine print on the ad. "About one month shaving" is assumed to be 4 shaves per week for four weeks. So not really a month and only shaving every other day? No, thanks Gillette!

I paused the TV last night to read the fine print on the ad. "About one month shaving" is assumed to be 4 shaves per week for four weeks. So not really a month and only shaving every other day? No, thanks Gillette!

Well, that definitely explains it then. 4 shaves per cartridge. Guess things really haven't changed any from my old Mach 3 days lol.

Top Bottom