What's new

The Pinaud skunk

After you decant it gets rid of the smell, some have theorized the cheap plastic bottles are what makes it skunk. Im starting to second guess that because ive left the hair tonic in original bottle and it skunked so left it alone for about 2 weeks and now its gone and smells as good as ever.

Im starting to think maybe the alum block is coming in contact with the bottle lid through my hand touching it possibly. Maybe the alum reacts with it. I pour the as in same hand I apply the alum with.

Last edited:
After you decant it gets rid of the smell, some have theorized the cheap plastic bottles are what makes it skunk. Im starting to second guess that because ive left the hair tonic in original bottle and it skunked so left it alone for about 2 weeks and now its gone and smells as good as ever.

Im starting to think maybe the alum block is coming in contact with the bottle lid through my hand touching it possibly. Maybe the alum reacts with it. I pour the as in same hand I apply the alum with.

Interesting theory. I'll bet there's a chemist or scientist here that may be able to give a definitive answer. Has anyone written to the Pinaud company about this phenomenon? I'm sure they would be interested in eliminating it since they've been around since 1815 and plan on being around another 200 years.

There are a few chemist in here, dont know if any testing has been done. There are a lot of theories though. I've written Pinaud and they seemed oblivious to the fact but said they would check into it. Hopefully they will do some research and figure it out. Just seems to me that some people leave in plastic and it doesnt skunk but some people have it skunk. Hair tonic comes in contact with the same hand I put alum on with also, I usually apply aftershave then tonic for extra scent. Going to try and keep tab on it and see if there may be a relation to anything I use and the skunk.

Hello gents, just as an update, I've noticed everytime I apply the pinaud with the same hand I use the alum bloc with that my hand almost instantly had a hint of skunk to it, also noticed after leaving it alone for a week or so in the bottle if it has a skunk it will go away. Been shaving lately without the use of an alum as my son broke it and havent replaced it yet and there has been no skunk and all the bottles are as fresh a scent as the day I bought them. Really leaning towards a reaction with alum maybe.

Thanks for the update. Never had the problem, but I rinse razor and brush between alum application and AS, so maybe that always takes care of the potential problem.

I know this is a really old thread, but not as old as the one that brought me here (2011).
It's not science, but I had Pinaud Bay Rum skunk on me, and the unpleasant note disappeared completely after less than 24 hours in glass.
It's not a solution, but add it to our research - this stuff smells like new again!

I know this is a really old thread, but not as old as the one that brought me here (2011).
It's not science, but I had Pinaud Bay Rum skunk on me, and the unpleasant note disappeared completely after less than 24 hours in glass.
It's not a solution, but add it to our research - this stuff smells like new again!
Also just realized Al Swearengen might have smelled like Pinaud Bay Rum (unskunked)

I opened a bottle of Pinaud Clubman aftershave and it smelled pretty skunky, too. I decanted it into glass soap dispensers. After a while (IIRC, it was several days to a week), the skunk was gone.

My soap dispenser has a plastic tube and a press down spout. Despite the tube being in the aftershave (and the aftershave being in the tube), there's no skunk scent in the decanted Pinaud Clubman.

I tend to think the skunk is caused by the plastic bottle the company uses to store the aftershave. I'm guessing there's something about the kind of plastic in the bottle that interacts with the aftershave and produces an off-putting scent.

When I decanted my aftershaves initially I filled the original bottles with water and heated them gently to close to boiling to loosen the label. It really gave of a terrible skunky odor after that. I would bet it has to do with the bottle being heated up at some point. That may be why only some seem affected or at least more affected.

Top Bottom