What's new

Duffle Coat + Suit?

Keep this in mind. I am over sixty. That said, I wore a suit every day, across the entire year, from 1976 through 2004.

You are mixing casual with business formal. You will be meeting the people you work with and possibly customers while you are wearing that coat. If suits are required for work the outer coat should be in character with the rest of your business attire.

I think it would look fine. Duffle Coat to me is as timeless as a Pea Coat. In fact I think the father in Home Alone wore one when they went to the air port. I would think it would look fine. Bit classer then a SnowBoarding jacket. Last loger as well.
Johnny

I ould say yes. I have been wearing duffel coats (I know the English call them Duffle instead of Duffel) for years, and I always liked them with a suit.

There are certainly much worse things you could wear over a suit, but I agree with Bob (despite being under 60 :tongue_sm) that it is mixing casual and formal attire.

There are certainly much worse things you could wear over a suit, but I agree with Bob (despite being under 60 :tongue_sm) that it is mixing casual and formal attire.
True indeed. I would go with a plain woolen coat then. That being said, usually I am not meeting outside, or in public places (and my 1st boss also wore a duffel), so it does not bother me.

Suits and outer coats have always been a pain. I tried a couple of alternatives before settling on a Macintosh Burberry Trenchcoat with a removable winter lining. I used two of them across a forty year span. The second is still in my closet waiting for the rare times I wear a suit in the winter.

They look good, keep the weather off/out, last forever, and are almost indestructible. Huge pockets for gloves, scarves, and a hat too...

Last edited:
I ould say yes. I have been wearing duffel coats (I know the English call them Duffle instead of Duffel) for years, and I always liked them with a suit.

I'm Welsh, I call mine a Duffel! You are right though, they are known as Duffle in English.

Mine's the original, a Gloverall in black. It is without doubt my best coat. I would wear it with anything though I haven't owned a suit since my wedding in 1972! Suits and IT didn't go together! Nearest to a suit I wear is a Harris Tweed sports jacket.

Gareth

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Keep this in mind. I am over sixty. That said, I wore a suit every day, across the entire year, from 1976 through 2004.

You are mixing casual with business formal. You will be meeting the people you work with and possibly customers while you are wearing that coat. If suits are required for work the outer coat should be in character with the rest of your business attire.

+1

True indeed. I would go with a plain woolen coat then. That being said, usually I am not meeting outside, or in public places (and my 1st boss also wore a duffel), so it does not bother me.

Yes, my main winter coat is very plain black wool with hidden buttons. This is the closest image I could find - mine doesn't have shiny trim or an extra pocket, though:
$black-wool-coats-for-men_04.jpg

And this is my extra-cold weather \ extra-dressy coat:
$UNFRM005.jpg

Note that the extra dressy coat was mind-bogglingly cheap since it is milsurp. 100% heavy weight wool, brass buttons both on the front and on the back (to adjust the split), tailored waist, and stitching that's probably tougher than I am. Pocket flaps can be tucked in for a cleaner look, too. :thumbup1: My only complaint is that it's a very heavy coat.

Top Bottom