What's new

Strop dressing?

How often does strop dressing need to be applied? Are there signs to look for that the leather is beginning to dry out?

I got a dovo strop and some yellow paste. The paste was very, very thick and to apply it evenly throughout the strop, I ended up using almost the whole tube. I have a feeling like that was way too much. Is the Fromm dressing a more lotion-like consistency and easier to apply?

P

Usually it is recommended to use neatsfoot oil or mink oil.

In my experience any conditioner for leather furniture will do as well. IIRC the paste that comes with a DOVO strop is quite fatty instead of oily so it is harder to spread out evenly.

yes you used way too much. You use as little as possible and just work in in and spread it out with your fingers. It takes a while but it does happen. personally I'll either use the fromm dressing or Bick is a favorite of mine. Many people just use the oil in their hands to just kind of massage the strop with their hands and that works. You should only have to dress the strop maybe 1x a year unless you live in a very dry climate with almost ziltch humidity.

I’m going to try rubbing the divi yellow paste in my hands and then rub the strop with the palms if my hands, applying a little a time as to not apply too much.

I use this on all my strops, my method has been to wipe the leather with a damp cotton cloth in the direction I strop until the leather is damp all the way thru, not soaked just damp, then after that I lay flat to dry and once dry I apply a small amount of this Venetian Cream — GENUINE HORWEEN PRODUCTS - https://www.horweenproducts.com/shop/venetian-cream to a cotton cloth and apply in a back and forth motion the same as strop.

I do this once a year but do just a plain water wipe several times a year as quality leather does need hydration

Top Bottom