What's new

First time designing scales

Here is how the razor currently looks. I love the blade, but I want to do something else with the scales.
proxy.php

So I went ahead and ordered a sheet of this kirinite in 1/8" x 6"x12". I figure that should give me enough to make two sets in case I don't like how the first set turn out.
proxy.php

And here's a first draft my sketch for the scales. I like the idea of long slender scales. Something that will show off all of Bruno's work on the jimps and curves and complement the long tail. The pins are brass and I'm thinking of making the wedge out of the toxic green acrylic of the current scales. Keep in mind though that this is my first attempt at anything like this, so I'm happy to hear any comments or constructive criticism you might have to improve the design!
proxy.php

Not my kind of shape or material choices but if you like it go for it.

Before going forward I would make some cardboard cutouts and make sure the stropping and handling is comfortable. I hate when scales look good but are intrusive in the razors use.

Yeah, the more I look at it the less happy I am with it. I wanted to try and make something long and slender that only covered the edge, but I can't figure out how to make it like that without he support pin in the middle interfering with the movement of the scales. I thing the tail might be too long for what I'm trying to do.

Well like Doc said it's your razor. Scale it how you like. I may be wrong but it appears as if the blade will rest on the third pin? A tail that long I'm afraid will eliminate the possibility of using a third pin in the conventional way of having the shaft rest on the pin/spacer.

And not having a third pin and your desire to have long thin scales means that the gap between the scales will have to be just as wide as the edge itself or just a bit above it. That's a dicey move.

One other thing and maybe it's the photo angle. But the pivot hole in the photo appears to be a little higher than the top of the spine.
This will almost necessitate most any scale design to resemble a banana. Pretty much the shape of the original ones.

+1 for this. I am kind of a boring traditionalist, but I enjoy seeing some of the more unconventional artists at work here. Good luck with the project and I look forward to seeing the end result. Sure it will be fabulous.

Not my kind of shape or material choices but if you like it go for it.

Before going forward I would make some cardboard cutouts and make sure the stropping and handling is comfortable. I hate when scales look good but are intrusive in the razors use.

Thanks for your replies, I realized when I made the mock up that my idea just didn't work in reality. Here's my new plan. The razor itself is based on H.R. Giger's alien, so I thought I'd so something similar. These scales are based on the head of the Alien. They look close to what you suggested Heespharm!
$uploadfromtaptalk1408896883067.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1408896905248.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1408896918708.jpg

Hahahaha. I realized that after I'd put them on the razor. Hopefully in the venom Kirinite the alien effect will be a little more prominent.

So here are the scales mocked up with a set of 1/16th drill bits because I forgot to order micro fasteners. The pins arrived today, so I just have to shape the wedge and pin it up!

If nothing else it accomplished what you wanted. An alien look and made the jimps visible.
Though I tend to think a hidden surprise under a nicely wrapped package is a bonus surprise to discover.

Last edited:
Not a fan eh mycarver? I saw a couple of mistakes I'd like to correct, so I'm working on a second set right now, but it's the same basic design.

Trust me . I've done my fair share of off beat razor scales . A 57 chevy, a Whale , stalk of bamboo , a Samurai sword handle etc. but they were for a theme and complimented the overall effect.

its your razor so build it as you see fit. My, or anyone else's views don't matter one bit.
Me, I would have gone after a tear drop. Fluid and compliment the sweep of the razor and shown off what you wanted to see at the same time.
But that's just me.

Last edited:
Trust me . I've done my fair share of off beat razor scales . A 57 chevy, a Whale , stalk of bamboo , a Samurai sword handle etc. but they were for a theme and complimented the overall effect.

its your razor so build it as you see fit. My, or anyone else's views don't matter one bit.
Me, I would have gone after a tear drop. Fluid and compliment the sweep of the razor and shown off what you wanted to see at the same time.
But that's just me.
A Classical Design Idea...
I like it!

Actually the teardrop would more closely resemble one half of the symbol Yin-Yang.
Here the Yin ( female) would be the scale. It too could have a hole through it somewhere nearer the wedge end. This would balance the razor visually. A hole at each end.
The blade represents the Yang. It slips inside the female Yin.
without getting graphic you see where this is leading .

But in essence the overall shape of the blade has the fullness of the blade tapering off to the tail. And the scale would have the fullness around the wedge end and taper off to the hinge end. The blade is steel, hard and more angular. The scale , softer rounder more fluid. See. Male/female.
If you notice the razor also has a hole in it. The Yin half of this equation receives the Yang half and each has the element of the other ( the hole ) . You'd end up with the symbol of the Yin and the Yang. Separate yet connected. Now the razor could tell a story. And if it doesn't you could .

makes some sense in my warped mind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom