What's new

TOBS Blasphemy

I am not allergic to TOBS and find their creams to the best I have ever used. As with everything YMMV, and it seems to. Luckily, there is a universe of soaps/creams/croaps/sticks etc. you have available!

good luck, trying new ones is part of the joy of wet shaving!

My only experience with TOBS is a single test lather of the Sandalwood cream. The lather seemed okay, but the scent was horrible. Very strong/powerful and it felt kind of synthetic. I sold it without even trying it. Just ordered the Avocado cream, and I hope it will give me a different experience. If it has that same non-natural type of scent it will be my last go with TOBS. One of the reasons I have to justify paying more money for a soap/cream is to get a unique, interesting and more natural scent. DR Harris, Musgo Real and C&E are examples of excellent scents to my nose.

I've tried the Avocado and Lemon/Lime. Both have given me great shaves, but I have noticed they can dry out if you're not careful with the water to product ratio. Considering trying some more scents for the fall and winter...

Tried six samples from Gary's. All were great, while I do prefer soaps, I do have the Avocado, and Eton College. Sandalwood soap.

All work well, and result in great lather.

Never once had a performance or quality issue with a TOBS cream.
Today I used a sample of TOBS Mr Taylor, perhaps a year old.
Very dense cream, lathered great, nice barbershop scent came on strong then faded.
Lather held up well, did not dry measurably.
My fav's are perhaps grapefruit, avocado and Jermyn St.

I love tobs. makes a great lather and I get a great close shave. I have used the natural, the grapefruit and coconut. all three work well for mw

IMHO, I have found the TOBS creams to be more than adequate in comparison to the other creams I have (C.O. Bigelow, Nivea Sensitive, and GFT Sandlewood), and provide an overall better shave experience. I have somewhat sensitive skin, and I get no irritation from Jermyn Street, St. James, Eton College, and even Mr. Taylor (of which I find the scent to be most prevalent/pungent of them). Lather builds up rather quickly, and has more than adequate slickness. I can't compare to Razorock, as I have yet to try them. Of the "3 T's", TOBS is the least expensive of them at roughly $14-16 for a tub, and I can't imagine spending any more than that. GFT, T&H, as well as D.R. Harris are just about double the price (One of the reasons to go back to wetshaving was cost, right?).

There are some other TOBS cream scents I'd like to try, and will have no reservations about ordering tubs when needed. For everything else, I'll probably stick to samples - or only if a great deal comes around.

I've tried a few different scents from TOBS and have found i either love them or can't stand them. I'm a big sandalwood fan, but TOBS Sandalwood just doesn't do it for me. I typically stay away from the soapy scents, but just got a full tub of shaving shop and love it. I find performance is above average. Usually don't have a problem with dry lather, but I do find TOBS creams can take a lot more water than you'd expect from a cream.

I'm more of a hard soap guy most of the time, but I keep a few creams around for when I need to shave quickly. If I didn't have swmbo already complaining about cabinet space, I'd stock up on the shave shop scent.

Shaving Shop is great, and if you like it, you should stock up since it was discontinued several months ago. I'm hopeful that SWMBO will understand.

I really like tobs creams,I have sandalwood, eton college and avocado imho they are excellent value,lots of cushion, slick and they can take a lot of water so a little goes a long way

shaved again today with the TOBS Mr Taylor sample, to finish it off, it was again great. Very nice lather, not too thick, not too thin. Nice scent opening.
Good protection and after-shave moisture.

$thiers issard proraso rubberset english fern mr taylor aug 20 2014.jpg

I use TOBS Sandalwood, Jermyn Street, and St. James creams and very much like all of them. The scents are each wonderful in their own way. They also all produce a luxuriant lather if you have good technique and don't mind learning the idiosyncracies of each one (which aren't that varied). But as with everything in the wet shaving universe, everything is subject to personal likes and experience.

I agree that the lather is great...but for me, the slickness isnt there for some reason...maybe I need to rework some things or try again at some point

I agree that the lather is great...but for me, the slickness isnt there for some reason...maybe I need to rework some things or try again at some point

In my experience, TOBS will take more water than you think, if you're willing to work it more. That's when it gets slick.

The avocado is an excellent cream and I love the scent and performance of the mr Taylor's and eton college as well. That being said TOBS isn't the best cream in town,but I do love it now and then. Easy to lather and like I said great scents.

Fine example of YMMV. I thought the avocado smelled like decaying vegetation!

Top Bottom