What's new

Best razor blades for beginner.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to shaving with a DE razor. I'm looking for a good blade for beginners. I will be getting a sample pack soon but I'm also interested in hearing everyone's opinions. I have a Edwin Jagger DE89l and will be getting a Merkur Futur soon. I've already tried Derby, ASTRA SP and Personna Blues. Again any recommendations would be helpful. So...many...choices:bored:

Welcome and cheers.
Blades can be blades...they're all sharp.
Best blade for a beginner is the one you are using now.
Sounds like you have all quality ones there.
Keep it as a constant as you work on technique.

i just started fairly recently and have a EJ89 as well. I started off using the derby blades that it came with, then tried a few more i cant remember off the top of my head...and now i have a feather blade in. i honestly cant tell the difference other than they all cut :F.

I found that the Russian Gillette made blades, which include Astras, all seem to be a nice balance of sharp and smooth..Welcome!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I say stick with what ya got right now if they are working fine. Work on your technique, lather, prep, and worry bout blades later

In general, you'll probably get the most comfortable shave from, "the mildest blade that cuts without resistance." For some guys with really fine beards, that's a Dorco, for others, it's a Feather.

Voskhod is very smooth and forgiving.
Then we have good blades like Astra SP, Polsilver SI, Gillette Silver Blue, Feathers.
I highly recommend any beginner to get a tuck of all those 5.

After 6 or 7 months of DE shaving, I am still experimenting with blades. I make a short note about each one I use, and they are falling into a ranking, best to worst. In a couple of months, I'll probably get 100 of my top two or three.

It really pays to give each brand of blades a good chance. Same razor, your best technique, your favorite soaps or creams. Pay attention, but don't obsess. I am slowly working through a bunch of Derbys, my least favorite blade so far, and I get two or three good shaves from each, just by taking care.

I'm new to this also... about two weeks in, so far... In my over enthusiasm for my new found sport, I've been trying out different blades... For me personally, I think this was a mistake as I should have just kept with one training blade until I got my technique sorted. I'm going to keep with the Personnas until I'm comfortable. Just a thought :D

As a beginner myself I wish I'd stuck to the same blade for a while, as some people recommend. Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference between most blades and it would have just eliminated one more variable.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I've mostly been using derbys but they've been giving me serious razor burn on the neck. Probably my technique. I'm going to try to give them some more time before I give up on the derbys.

Last edited:
Hey, brother! I'm new too. The Astra's have been working for me and I also liked the Lab Blues. I would recommend those to you since you already have them in your den.

Keep us posted.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I've mostly been using derbys but they've been giving me serious razor burn on the neck. Probably my technique. I'm going to try to give them some more time before I give up on the derbys.

As a fellow newbie who's also figuring out the neck razor burn thing I think I'd have to agree it's probably our technique. It could just be the neck too though. I've been watching some of the Nickshaves videos on YouTube and he mentions in one video he has to go WTG always on his neck or it gets really irritated. I seem to get irritation if I don't go WTG always on the lower 2 inches of the neck like that band across the adams apple.

I know my technique is still off too though because I notice longer hairs left there even after two passes. I tried a new Crystal (personna blue I believe) blade yesterday instead of the derbys I'd been starting out with and while it did great on the rest of my face, I decided....rather stupidly apparently.....to do an XTG pass in that one area after the first WTG pass. I felt it for about 30 minutes after and still had the longer hairs left in places. I guess what I'm saying it in that area you might just make sure to do WTG only while you work on technique.

As a fellow newbie who's also figuring out the neck razor burn thing I think I'd have to agree it's probably our technique. It could just be the neck too though. I've been watching some of the Nickshaves videos on YouTube and he mentions in one video he has to go WTG always on his neck or it gets really irritated. I seem to get irritation if I don't go WTG always on the lower 2 inches of the neck like that band across the adams apple.

I know my technique is still off too though because I notice longer hairs left there even after two passes. I tried a new Crystal (personna blue I believe) blade yesterday instead of the derbys I'd been starting out with and while it did great on the rest of my face, I decided....rather stupidly apparently.....to do an XTG pass in that one area after the first WTG pass. I felt it for about 30 minutes after and still had the longer hairs left in places. I guess what I'm saying it in that area you might just make sure to do WTG only while you work on technique.

My problem comes from trying to get every single hair off. I can do WTG and ATG without a problem...but XTG tears up my face like nothing else.

When I did return to DE shaving early this year, I used the same blades (15 Wilkinsons) that the guy I bought my FB from gave me free for nothing. That way, I could reclaim my technique, figure out the best prep, and go nuts with soaps and creams, while keeping the blades a constant for a couple of months. Then I got my blade sampler...

Top Bottom