What's new

Best razor blades for beginner.

I would say pretty much anything but Feathers, and then stick with your choice for a while to get your technique in place

They say persona series are smooth And forgiven shave friendly
i use lord my advice go for a +1 package sample and try difrent ones
change blades after 3 shaves or 4

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to shaving with a DE razor. I'm looking for a good blade for beginners. I will be getting a sample pack soon but I'm also interested in hearing everyone's opinions. I have a Edwin Jagger DE89l and will be getting a Merkur Futur soon. I've already tried Derby, ASTRA SP and Personna Blues. Again any recommendations would be helpful. So...many...choices:bored:
Well we're all different, but I have DE89 which I used to blade test 25 or so varieties of blades over a 6 month period & the smoothest blades I found were:

Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Super Platinum (Indian Black)
Personna Platinum Chrome
Personna Lab Blue
Polsilver Super Iridium

Welcome to B&B!
My favorite blades are the Super Iridium, but the Gillette Silver Blue, Croma Diamant and Gillette 7 o'clock are all safe bets IMO.

I'm new to this also... about two weeks in, so far... In my over enthusiasm for my new found sport, I've been trying out different blades... For me personally, I think this was a mistake as I should have just kept with one training blade until I got my technique sorted. I'm going to keep with the Personnas until I'm comfortable. Just a thought :D
+1

I used Shark Super Chromes for the first two months or so, they weren't the sharpest blades, but they were pretty smooth, and allowed me a lot of leeway in developing my technique.

If you're pretty comfortable with your technique, Astra SP's, Polsilvers, and Gillette 7 O'Clock Blacks are my current go-to's.....

Last edited:
Ok when i started out (also with the de89)i got all kinds of blades avoiding feathers thinking they were out of my league/ after buying all kinds of blades personna lab blue, crystal, polsilver, gillette silver blue, permasharp, astra sp, supermax superplat, wilkinson, treet, the list goes on....when i finally tried the feathers i was like well that was a waste of time trying all the diff blades, the feathers were awesome even as a beginner// just always use minimal pressure as you would want to practice with any razor anyways and you will have a damn fine shaves, gave de89 to my bro r41+feather=gg till i rad myself into straights :/

The smoothest shave I get is from my Shavecraft EJ89 with a Feather in it. Don't be afraid of the Feathers just because they're sharp.

Astra SP is a good mild blade, I have been using them for a long period until I discovered PermaSharp blades. I use nothing else then PermaSharp blades.

I think the most important part of DE shaving is the prep, if you shower take a hot shower your face will love it. Even if my lather is poor I still manage to pull off a BBS.

The smoothest shave I get is from my Shavecraft EJ89 with a Feather in it. Don't be afraid of the Feathers just because they're sharp.
+1. Don't believe those horror stories about the Feather you read online. I have used Feathers in an aggressive open comb razor and I didn't even got any nick or cut while the Astra did.

I have some experience in DE shaving (emphasise, some), and Astra SP is a fabulous choice for me. Sharp enough but smooth enough. Irritation free.

But since blades are YMMW thing sampler pack would be your best bet.

First of all, welcome to B&B!
Blades one of the most YMMV subjects concerning wet shaving. I've found that if I want to shave everyday, the only blades that won't give me irritation and still give DFS+ are the Derbys. For every other day, I use Astras or either one the Gillettes. If I have a 3-4 day growth, Feathers are the best, but if I use them everyday, my face ends up red.
Long story short, the blade sample pack was the right call.

Top Bottom