What's new

Need a new brush to compliment my Duke 2 in Best

My one and only brush is a Simpsons Duke 2 in Best. I am looking for another brush to add to my arsenal. I am a face lather. My soaps are Cella and MWF. I do have some GFT creams on the way though. I have had my eye on a Tulip (2 or 3) and also the Chubby (1 or 2).

Your recommendations are very much appreciated.

Are you set on a Simpsons?
One of the best knots for face lathering is the Shavemac D01 2-Band with the loft height at 2:1 or a bit less.

I have the same brush and soaps. I am also a face latherer. I can recommend highly, both the Semogue 620 and 830, to compliment your badger brush.

What are you looking for in a brush that you don't have in the Duke 2? Softer/scritchier tips, more/less backbone, more/less dense knot, bigger/smaller handle, etc?

Throwing out your likes and dislikes of the Duke 2 (or what you wish the Duke 2 had/didn't have) should yield some better suggestions than people just telling you what their favorite brushes are, since everyone's brush preferences are different.

What are you looking for in a brush that you don't have in the Duke 2? Softer/scritchier tips, more/less backbone, more/less dense knot, bigger/smaller handle, etc?

Throwing out your likes and dislikes of the Duke 2 (or what you wish the Duke 2 had/didn't have) should yield some better suggestions than people just telling you what their favorite brushes are, since everyone's brush preferences are different.

I love my Duke 2. No complaints. It's a great all around brush. Face lathering. Bowl lathering. You name it, it gets the job done. I just would like to purchase another brush, a bit larger so that I can give the Duke the day off; looking to put together a rotation of brushes if you will. Not looking for a 7 day lineup, but 2 or 3 day rotation might be nice.

As I mentioned, I have had my eyes on the Tulip 3 (maybe 4) and the Chubby 1. I do not want too large of a brush, but something that is larger than my Duke. Just need a little help from the good folks here on the forum.

As far as does it have to be a Simpsons, no, but I am very happy with my Duke and if I can get the same quality/build in another Simpsons brush, well I might as well stick with what I know. That said, I would not be adverse to try another manufacturer.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Andre; The Tulips don't come in Best Badger which I have found to be more than adequate. Of course, it's your choice if you want to go the extra expense. The Chubby 1 is very similar to your Duke 2; The Chubby 2 is substantially bigger with a 27mm knot and comes in Best Badger. For the similar price of the Tulip 3 (in super badger)and the Chubby 2 (in best badger) you might want to consider which knot diameter you want.

I just recently got a Semogue 610 after realizing I am a face latherer. First brush is an Edwin Jagger in Best Badger. You owe it to yourself to try a boar as a second brush if you face lather especially if you use The Fat.

Andre; The Tulips don't come in Best Badger which I have found to be more than adequate. Of course, it's your choice if you want to go the extra expense. The Chubby 1 is very similar to your Duke 2; The Chubby 2 is substantially bigger with a 27mm knot and comes in Best Badger. For the similar price of the Tulip 3 (in super badger)and the Chubby 2 (in best badger) you might want to consider which knot diameter you want.

First off, thank you to everyone that offered their opinion on this subject. After reading mswofford's post above and the Wee Scot thread, I decided on the following brushes: Simpson Chubby 2 and a Berkley 46, both in Best.

Everything I have read about the Chubby 2 appeals to me and it should be a much different brush than my Duke 2. From what I can gather, the Chubby 2 is not quite the lather hog as it's big brother the 3. Looking forward to this cadillac of brushes as someone so eloquently wrote in a review on WCS.

The Berkley 46 was chosen as an alternative to the Wee Scot. I really liked what I read about the WS, but I was a bit concerned about the size of the handle. Someone in the thread mentioned that he would rather have a Berkley 46 as a travel/everyday brush due to its larger handle size. Yet the brush is still small enough to be used as a travel brush. I use my Duke 2 in this role and have found it to be very accommodating.

I am looking forward to a rotation of Duke 2, Chubby 2 and Berkley 46 all in best. I think this will hold me over for awhile.

Again, thank you to all for your replies.

First off, thank you to everyone that offered their opinion on this subject. After reading mswofford's post above and the Wee Scot thread, I decided on the following brushes: Simpson Chubby 2 and a Berkley 46, both in Best.

Everything I have read about the Chubby 2 appeals to me and it should be a much different brush than my Duke 2. From what I can gather, the Chubby 2 is not quite the lather hog as it's big brother the 3. Looking forward to this cadillac of brushes as someone so eloquently wrote in a review on WCS.

The Berkley 46 was chosen as an alternative to the Wee Scot. I really liked what I read about the WS, but I was a bit concerned about the size of the handle. Someone in the thread mentioned that he would rather have a Berkley 46 as a travel/everyday brush due to its larger handle size. Yet the brush is still small enough to be used as a travel brush. I use my Duke 2 in this role and have found it to be very accommodating.

I am looking forward to a rotation of Duke 2, Chubby 2 and Berkley 46 all in best. I think this will hold me over for awhile.

Again, thank you to all for your replies.

These are good choices to "bracket" the Duke 2 which you like so well and stay with a rotation of Best Badger brushes. After trying a few Simpson brushes, the Berkeley (in Best Badger) is my favorite.

If and when you want to branch out in knot types, the newer generations of synthetics travel very well and are great brushes in everyday rotation too. I have both the Muhle STF V2 and Plisson synthetics and while every fiber/bristle/hair has its pluses and minuses, these two brushes definitely compete with my favorite badger and boar brushes.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
To me the best friend for a Duke is a Chubby. I'd consider a CH1 in either Super or Best, both amazing brushes.

I have a Duke 2, and I find myself reaching for my Berkeley just as much as the Duke. Both work wonderfully for face lathering (all I do). I do agree with the Chubby 1 though. I really want one of these someday. The Case is also my travel brush, but I reach for it at home too. It's a nice, scrubby little knot that does "break-in" and become softer with use.

Last edited:
So I have had my Berkeley and Chubby 2 for a few weeks now. I must say I am thrilled to have both of these brushes. The Berkeley is really like a Duke "0". Same handle, just smaller knot. But it lathers like a dream, whether I am using soaps or creams. And it dries fast, so it makes for a perfect travel brush. I have been rotating the Berkeley in with the Duke 2 for my M-F shaves and the investment has paid off in spades.

Now, the Chubby 2, good Lord, what a pleasure it is to lather up this bad boy. Yeah, it takes a little more product than the Berkeley or the Duke, but it is well worth it. It is finally starting to break in; when I first used it, it was stiff as all get up, but now it's backbone gives ever so slightly that it is becoming a real gem for face lathering. All of that hair covered in lather, swirling around on your face... pure nirvana! I use the Chubby 2 on the weekends and for a special occasion. I don't want to use it all the time as I feel it might lose some of its charm. I like the fact that I have something to look forward too on the weekends.

So, the Simpsons Co. has provided me with three wonderful brushes. Hopefully with proper care and maintenance, I will have these brushes for a long time.

That said, I am jonesing to get my hands on a Tulip 3. I have been reading some threads and have received a few PM's regarding this brush. I love the handle; pure sex appeal for me. I'm just concerned that it might be too close to the Chubby 2 in terms of face feel. And it only comes in Super; Best Badger as far as I can tell is incredible. I'm not sure Super can be that much better. We'll see, maybe the holidays will bring me an early spring Tulip.

Thanks to all that helped me make my decision on the Berkeley and Chubby 2. There is a lot of knowledge here on the boards and a lot of people that are willing to help out and offer suggestions.

I face lather soaps as well and just ordered a Simpson Berkeley. I'm thinking of a Duke 2 to go along with it. I narrowed my choices down to those and opted for the Berkeley first, from what I can tell they will both be excellent for the intended purpose. That said, I'm also considering the Shavemac 177. They seem to be well regarded as well.

Tulip in Super sounds great (no I don't have one). Just to contrast with your Best knots, at a minimum.
The Colonel X2L is an amazing brush at the lower end of the price spectrum for Simpsons. It's a short-lofted brush with a longer than typical handle, a great all-arounder.

But your brain will not let go of a Tulip, so a Tulip you should have. And a different knot will give you more variety and more ability to GIVE advice in the future!

... But your brain will not let go of a Tulip, so a Tulip you should have. And a different knot will give you more variety and more ability to GIVE advice in the future!

I think you're dead on correct; I'm really craving a Tulip 3. And I think you make a very wise suggestion regarding Super Badger Hair; I've never had it, so i really cannot compare it to my lineup in Best. The addition of a Tulip 3 in Super would bring some variety into the lineup and allow me to compare the two grades of hair.

So, sometime this fall I will pull the trigger on a Tulip 3 in Super. I am quite certain this will put to bed my desire for anymore brushes. I will have a great M-F lineup and I'll call up the Chubby 2 for weekend duty.

I hate to say this in public (again and again)

The small (19mm) Muhle V-2 synth put my Duke 2 on the shelf for months (yea it is that nice of a face lathering brush)

It's only lately that I have taken the Duke 2 back out onto the counter.

Oh and I also have a T-2 Tulip (a Somerset one too)

proxy.php

Top Bottom