What's new

What in the world?

What in the world is "method shaving"? I see it mentioned but I can't figure out what exactly it is. I've looked on this forum and I've even "googled" it but I still don't know what it is. I'm sorry this is one of those questions that is asked every couple of months but looked and I can't seem to get a real answer.

Ok, I watched the first video and part of the second. As I understand it, Method Shaving is doing a methodical search for the ultimate shave. Finding what works and constantly adjusting it so it works better. All the while using natural organic products. Is that about right?
I do a lot of the same things they do, I just don't use their products.

That's a pretty accurate way of looking at it. A lot of guys get put off by how complicated it comes accross, it's really not once you give the system a shot and figure out what you're doing. It's all about the closest shave possible combined with the best skin conditioning that makes the whole thing worthwhile.

I think it's a big marketing ploy to sell shaving products myself. It probably works great, it's just not for me. YMMV.

Ok, I watched the first video and part of the second. As I understand it, Method Shaving is doing a methodical search for the ultimate shave. Finding what works and constantly adjusting it so it works better. All the while using natural organic products. Is that about right?
I do a lot of the same things they do, I just don't use their products.

Not really. It's about specific products and specific steps.

I think it's a big marketing ploy to sell shaving products myself. It probably works great, it's just not for me. YMMV.

If you haven't tried it, why are you so inclined to knock it? It's good stuff and a great system whether you care for the pitchman or not. I personally don't like Gilbert Gottfried, but Aflac is good stuff.

Brad

I have respect for Hydrolast products and the method system of shaving. I have tried several of their products but am not a method shaver. The products are truly well made.

I'm not knocking it at all. As I said, I'm sure it works great. I just think it is another shaving "system" designed to primarily make money first, and provide a good shave second. When you break it all down, it's simply another "method" to achieve a good/great shave. It is not rocket science. I think it is hailed as some sort of holy grail product (it even gets its own forum...?). I get great shaves without any system using products that have been around for decades/centuries. I have no history/opinion with anyone connected to method shaving so I can't comment on that.

I guess I'm just confused as to why "method shaving" gets all the attention it does. It just seems like a pretty way to package up some shaving products to me. I've researched the products/materials used in method shaving and again, it is nothing new. The delivery & packaging is what is unique. If it works for people, them more power to them!

Stanley, I am not a method shaver at all. I have not even tried it. I see no need to try it because I get a great shave everytime with the stuff I have. This segment of wetshavers is a very small percentage of wetshavers. You also have to remember that traditional wetshavers are a small percentage of overall shaving (foam, electric). It's all relative.

All I know is I'm spending less money and getting BBS every shave since I started Method Shaving.

Not to sound argumentative but less money as compared to what? My personal opinion is that Hydrolast products are kind of expensive. $4.95 for a round plus $20 for a pot of paste. Combined they last me about two months. Max. That's 150 bucks a year! By comparison a tub of Truefitt & Hill costs me $30 and will last six months. It seems then that Hydrolast products are more than twice the cost of traditional products! :eek: But then again, if you want consistent BBS shaves then Hydrolast wins. Forget spending less money.

I threw the money factor out the window a long time ago so I can't really speak to that :001_rolle

I still use a steady rotation of both Hydrolast and traditional stuff (mostly soaps DR Harris, Trumpers, etc). I get great shaves no matter what I use but when it comes to those perfect shaves and the feel of well conditioned skin, that's where Hydrolast always wins out for me.

Gafer,
Great questions. I spent 100s on preshave and postshave products just to end up with constant irritation that looked like I tried to make-out with a weedeater. My "in rotation" kit took up a 1 x 2 ft basket. With MS, the only preshave is a bit of slag on a washcloth, postshave is a shot of finishing balm (maybe some conditioner too), and my complete kit fits in a 6 x 8 inch basket. I'm getting about 3 months per pot of paste (I seem to be using less as my proficiency increases), and roughly the same per cube to get to $128 pretax per year.

Certainly results may vary, but for me MS really has saved me money. I think there's also an argument to be made for the value of time savings but my thoughts aren't clear enough yet to attempt.

Y'all have a great weekend
j

Gafer,
Great questions. I spent 100s on preshave and postshave products just to end up with constant irritation that looked like I tried to make-out with a weedeater. My "in rotation" kit took up a 1 x 2 ft basket. With MS, the only preshave is a bit of slag on a washcloth, postshave is a shot of finishing balm (maybe some conditioner too), and my complete kit fits in a 6 x 8 inch basket. I'm getting about 3 months per pot of paste (I seem to be using less as my proficiency increases), and roughly the same per cube to get to $128 pretax per year.

Certainly results may vary, but for me MS really has saved me money. I think there's also an argument to be made for the value of time savings but my thoughts aren't clear enough yet to attempt.

Y'all have a great weekend
j

Howdy. Can't address you ny you screen name - I'm an Aggie so I can't even type those words. :lol:

Ok, that said I don't think shaving really is about the price. $30 per year or $150 per year who really cares? What's most important is the quality of the shave isn't it? I agree, we end up with these huge "in rotation" baskets constantly searching for the perfect shave. If that's the objective then for me Hydrolast wins. But then, the desire for variety also plays a role so you have to try the 3T's and Proraso etc. etc. No self respecting wetshaver would just walk past those right? The journey is half the fun!

Top Bottom