What's new

Brit and US redtip

Just want to point out some differences between the two redtips.
As you can see, the British red is more...maroon. Both have, of course, original color but the Brit has never been used.
The Brit weighs in at 66.2 gram and the US brother weighs in at 64.16 gram! :thumbup1: The Brit's marked with(C2 on blades) III BRIT.PAT. 694093. US marked with C4 ++ PAT.NOS ON PKG. Some difference in handles as you can see and the Brit have paint on all surface inside. I use the US sometimes and it shaves grrrrreat! Never used the Brit and never will! :wink2:

Well, please add info or pointers or just drool over that NOS Brit redtip! :lol: I do! If you want, I can add NOS Brit flaretip and Bluetip as well! "TUNG = HEAVY"
$20140817_131639.jpg$20140817_132008.jpg$20140817_132130.jpg$20140817_132235.jpg$20140817_132741.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting that the US C-4 has the clip holding the knob instead of a screw. Until now, I thought D-1 was the start of the new style.
I'll have to start checking C-4s of other models to see if this was across the board or just the red tip.

Thanks.

Gorgeous!:001_tt1:

I'm jealous that the Swedes and other Europeans got to buy English-made Gillettes, which I think were generally superior to the US-made ones in the 1930's - 1950's.
By all means, please post pictures of more NOS razors! You can't let Bosse and Polarbeard have all of the fun!

Interesting that the US C-4 has the clip holding the knob instead of a screw. Until now, I thought D-1 was the start of the new style.
I'll have to start checking C-4s of other models to see if this was across the board or just the red tip.

Thanks.

Your most welcome, Tom! Yep, I do have a modern C4.:lol:
Wiki says C4 or D1 so I guess that Gillette mixed parts that last batch in 57'. They done this before and it's funny, more you "know" more questions surface!

I have a C-4 with the screw, so I guess that's when they were making the change. Nice razors!
Thanks.
Your most welcome, Tom! Yep, I do have a modern C4.:lol:
Wiki says C4 or D1 so I guess that Gillette mixed parts that last batch in 57'. They done this before and it's funny, more you "know" more questions surface!
I just broke out the oars and did a once around da bay. Looks like C-4 came both ways for the regular Super Speeds too.

Gorgeous!:001_tt1:

I'm jealous that the Swedes and other Europeans got to buy English-made Gillettes, which I think were generally superior to the US-made ones in the 1930's - 1950's.
By all means, please post pictures of more NOS razors! You can't let Bosse and Polarbeard have all of the fun!

Well, I can't match that beautiful English red tip, but I do have this cellphone shot of my 55 Flare Tip.

$NOS A-1 SS.png

Once I had this whole NOS set but 3 razors belonged to a friend so I managed to take this picture before shipping out! Still have the counter display but "only" 3 NOS sets so it's tucked away. I'm not lying when I say those 3 razors still smells like when they left the assembling line, a oily smell, just like tools. Amazing, really! Pictures for you.
$1374164_10201690900208245_1182288805_n.jpg$20140817_163250~01.jpg$20140817_163432~01.jpg$20140817_163759~01.jpg

Last edited:
No, I think all razors we have are the winners because we tend to treat them as The Holy Grail!😄

No, I think all razors we have are the winners because we tend to treat them as The Holy Grail!

Everyone that enjoys vintage Gillette has their favorite period I imagine, well 40s and 50s are mine. You made my day, thanks for sharing these beauties.

Last edited:
Nice collection. It would be hard for me to resist using them just to see how they shave new.
Yes! It's a battle every time I look at them but had them for a 10 months so...must be strong! :) Not sure if I could feel any difference between my two redtips, I use my US from time to time. Just shaved with my #16 now and that's really one of my top five razors.

Top Bottom