What's new

Whipped Dog Praise

I treated myself to a 22x48 silver tip badger from Whipped Dog. First, I e-mailed Larry A. and got a response back the next day. He recommended the 48 for face lathering. About 5 days later I had the little gem in my hands.

I soaked the brush the way I do my Omega Boar 49. There will be a bit of a learning curve for me. I had too much water in the brush and not enough soap. But....

OMG! The brush on my face felt like snuggling with a baby seal dressed in a cashmere sweater wearing Alpaca socks....only softer. And this thing is going to get better? :w00t:

Badger smell? Nope. Doesn't smell like anything to me. I rinsed the heck out of it after my first shave. Smells a little like my TOBS Sandlewood.

$30 for this luxury. Yes and yes.

I'm a bowl-latherer, and my WD silvertip (22x50) is basically perfect. Soft, yes, but it picks up enough hard soap easily for the bowl; and when I apply the brush to the face, magic. Of course, brilliant with creams.

I'm still learning technique, but it's great to have a brush I can count on.

i face and bowl lather and i have my 22 set at 15mm into the handle and although ive been doing more bowl lathering as of recently it works amazingly. other than the awesome quality brush that WD sells at its price point i think whats even more impressive is larry's customer service. he really stands by his products and takes care of his customers.

Whipped Dog brushes are definitely a great value.

However, because of the OP, I now want a baby seal hair brush . . .:001_smile

Congrats! I have had my 22mmx48mm WD Silvertip going on a year now. It is great! I usually face lather, but it works equally well in the bowl. It is perfect for soft soaps/croaps in tubs. Larry is one of the easiest folks to work with too.

Enjoy!

Bob

proxy.php

I normally swirl my boar brush in my croap/soap, but my new TOBS is so creamy I have to apply it with my finger. I think I only applied a pea sized amount last time, not almond. Not a big deal. I just added more. Will have to try the brush with ARKO and Cella.

I normally swirl my boar brush in my croap/soap, but my new TOBS is so creamy I have to apply it with my finger. I think I only applied a pea sized amount last time, not almond. Not a big deal. I just added more. Will have to try the brush with ARKO and Cella.

My 22/45 is awesome with Arko, in fact that combination is easily becoming my favorite.

I have bought a 24mm synthetic,a black badger and silvertip from WD
The last 2 were too soft for me
Larry is a very nice guy to communicate with.

I hand lathered some Arko today with pretty good results. I did not get the amount of soap I was looking for but I am still getting used to the properties of this brush. Then I went to my old stand by. I put an almond sized amount of Bigelow in my Marvy cup on top of the Arko with 4 drops of glycerin. Then lathered my my face. WOW! Lather explosion! After my 2 pass shave and minor buffing I gently squeezed the left over lather from the brush. I had enough left for 2 more passes. I used my vintage tech and a once used feather blade for a fantastic shave.

I ordered a 24mmx48 and it is great. This was from a batch that he had that shed. Larry was so easy to work with and quickly replaced it. The problem is that I love the first brush so much I haven't used the replacement. It sheds 2or 3 hairs each times but I may use it until it falls completely apart.

I am another happy owner of WD 22x48 Silvertip. I think this is just about the perfect knot size in Silvertip for face lathering. It holds plenty of lather, but doesn't hog it and has enough backbone so it is easy to load hard soaps and get a little massage.

It is a pleasure doing business with Larry, but the more remarkable thing is that WD brushes are both high value and a bargain. I first ordered WD brushes because I thought it would be an inexpensive way to explore different options before ordering a "good brush" for 3x-4x the price. Instead, I found that the WD brushes performed well and in the case of the 22x48 Silvertip performed as well or better than any of my name brand brushes.

After a TON of research and emailing Larry a while ago for advice, I ordered my first brush from him today. A 24mm Pure with the burgundy handle. SUPER excited to get it and begin my wet shaving adventure.

I'm also planning on paying him for the straight razor honing feedback because he has such a good reputation and is a pleasure to interact with.

I have yet to order a WD, but I have two RVs and sold another to a friend. I have never read anything bad about dealing with Larry. I actually have two razors that need sharpening, and have only considered sending them to him.

In the process of getting a brush right now. Larry is pretty cool to talk with. Waiting for the Synthetic knots to come in to get a brush. I am planning on using it for my travel brush, might become my primary brush though.

Top Bottom